What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Wrong" Volume Control Buttons Layout

Jocko0815

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just sent the following message to Apple Feedback:

Hello, when my iPad with smartcover stands in front of me the volume control buttons are on the upper left.

Why, why, why do I have to press the right button to decrease the volume and the left button to increase the volume? This is totally unintuitive (or should I say: wrong).

In EVERY volume control (software and hardware) that I know turn/shift right means increase, and turn/shift left means decrease volume.

Maybe you can think about adding an option to adjust the function of the volume control buttons in the next iOS, either automatically or by user preference.

Am I the only one who stumbled over this "issue"??

Is there already a way to change the button function? An app?

Greetings,

Jock

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Jock! Welcome to iPF!

I was surprised to read your first post and had to look at my Volume buttons to make sure where they are.
When my iPad is in landscape mode, they are at the bottom right. When it is in portrait mode, they are on the upper right side of my iPad. The left button reduces the volume, the right one increases it. My iPad is in a case as well. Obviously I'm using my iPad the other way round, where the buttons work as they should. My Home button is at the left in landscape mode, and at the bottom in portrait mode.

I suppose it's just the way you turn your device to get the buttons working the way you prefer it. :)

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jock and welcome to the Forum!

I use a Smart Cover on my iPad also, so when in portrait mode, I have my home button on the bottom......my volume controls are then on the top right. The top button is to increase volume and the bottom to decrease.....this just feels how it should be to me.

When in landscape I have my home button to the right, so my volume controls are top left, the same as yours....I personally don't have a problem with this

I'm assuming you're on IOS7 ......Why not bring up your control centre by pulling up from the bottom of the screen and use the volume control slide found here on the left. Much simpler than using the buttons at all this way. Faster too I think. ;)

image-2276573962.jpg

OP
J

Jocko0815

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I know how to use the control center, but sometimes the buttons are much more convenient in the apps I use.

Do we have different iPads and/or Smart Covers? I have an iPad Air. My cover locks to the opposite side of the volume control buttons, and when I use it in (upright, not flat) landscape mode, the buttons are on the upper left, and the cover forms a triangle at the opposite side to support the upright position of the iPad. And in this position the buttons are "wrong"!

Greetings,
Jock

iPad-upright.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I know how to use the control center, but sometimes the buttons are much more convenient in the apps I use. Do we have different iPads and/or Smart Covers? I have an iPad Air. My cover locks to the opposite side of the volume control buttons, and when I use it in (upright, not flat) landscape mode, the buttons are on the upper left, and the cover forms a triangle at the opposite side to support the upright position of the iPad. And in this position the buttons are "wrong"! Greetings, Jock View attachment 55937
When I use my cover the same way you do, then my buttons would also be "wrong". I just prefer to have my iPad more flat than the ones on your picture, because it's easier typing. Maybe I use the cover the "wrong" way. :)

That's how I use it:

image-1783727639.jpg
In flat landscape mode

Last edited:
OP
J

Jocko0815

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what I thought. But, for example, I use the iPad to display chord symbols/ notes and as a play-along device on top of a piano - and there I need to have it upright and the buttons accessible.

Last edited:

Dtwodave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Hello, when my iPad with smartcover stands in front of me the volume control buttons are on the upper left.

Why, why, why do I have to press the right button to decrease the volume and the left button to increase the volume? This is totally unintuitive (or should I say: wrong).

In EVERY volume control (software and hardware) that I know turn/shift right means increase, and turn/shift left means decrease volume.

Maybe you can think about adding an option to adjust the function of the volume control buttons in the next iOS, either automatically or by user preference.

Greetings,

Jock
jock
Hi,

Greetings,

Jock
Dear Jock.
My girlfriend and I wondered the same thing this eve; saw you post and think we've nailed it....
According to the Telegraph newspaper:
the volume buttons on the iPhone 4 and iPad to be used for shutter and record start/stop functions. This puts them on the top right hand side and it feels intuitive, but essentially you are holding your iPhone (or iPad) upside down.

Designed for camera bias? What do you think?
Over n' out.

Most reactions

Latest posts