What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writting a Novel

ModelPj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Preston I'm trying to write a book on my life. Are there any apps for ipad2 that i can write a story on

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My name is Preston I'm trying to write a book on my life. Are there any apps for ipad2 that i can write a story on

Hi there-I am going to move this to the App section where you should get more recommendations on apps for writing your book!

Best wishes!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For pure writing, I also recommend Storyist.

While Pages will do the job nicely enough, I find it too easy to get distracted tweaking the layout. I use Pages mainly for short documents with lots of graphics content.

Hold in mind there are members here that love Pages for longer projects. It's all a matter of taste and tools.

There are many good text editing apps in the App Store, so there is bound to be one that fits your needs best.

cookntbone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found this thread. I am also writing a novel... fiction in my case and a few other ideas. After exhaustive research, I ended up getting IA writer for the Ipad and Scrivener for my MBP.... Its not perfect, and its not free but Scrivener is a really great app. I couldnt find anything eve close for Ipad but the Scrivener people SAY it will be ported over to Ipad.... but i the meantime, I use the IA writer and Dropbox. its a one way system for me at least... I spend a LOT of time on metro trains commuting to work and getting around town so its great to be able to work on projects on te Ipad, drop it into Dropbox, then when I get home, I pull it into Scrivener .... the Ipad, at least for me is kinda like a pad of paper I can carry around easily put down ideas, or even entire chapters.... then put it all together in Scrivener... works great for me!

chrisoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ModelPj said:

I wrote a book on my iPad using the quick office app. All 1 word. Good luck

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm writing a novel too! I,myself use Pages but i have many apps available to me in my Writing folder:

Ommwriter
Storyist
Moleskine
Pages
A Novel Idea
iA Writer
Nihilo

animealam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also writing a novel, fantasy in my case. I'm using a few apps that I found work great for me instead of Pages (No way to really organize chapters)

These are the ones I use most.
A Novel Idea is quite good, and the app designer is very approachable. It syncs with Dropbox.
TextExpader - It's a marvel. It helps to type less, especially when not using an external keyboard.
Writing Kit - I'm using Markdown as a way to format my story. It exports HTML, and you can open the file in other apps. It's not free, but good. It also uses dropbox.
Outliner - this app is by CarbonFin and has a web app, and syncs with Dropbox, and works with TextExpander.
Writemonkey - This is a Windows app that's small and lets me edit any Markdown file. It also exports HTML

I tried these others and are also good:
Index Card - This one is also a good app
iThoughts - Mind mapping can be very good for outlining a story.
Outliner Pro - This links with Dropbox.
Writers App - It's good, but if I want to have formating into what I add, I have to use html, and export via email.

Layth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's some suggestions:

Daedalus Touch - I'm surprised this hasn't been mention yet. Has markdown support, built in browser so if you need to Google something while you're writing you can, Dropbox support and you can even export as an ePub file which I haven't seen in any other writing app.

Index Card or iThoughts or Omnioutliner - Any one of those apps will help you get organized and brainstorming.

Most reactions

Latest posts