What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing with a stylus. What method?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A. Your writing hand floats above screen, never touching it.

B. You rely entirely on the in-app wrist-guard (aka palm pad). Could you specify which note-taking app(s) you use and how often you need to use the eraser to clean up (if at all).

C. You use a glove/rag of some sort. Could you give details of material and modifications (if any)?

D. You use a "bridge": a thin but stiff piece of wood, metal or plastic that spans the screen, allowing you to rest your hand on it. This method requires a "lip" that surrounds the screen. Many cases and bumpers would have this.

E. Something else.

Remember, this is a question for people who use a stylus. Fingerers need not apply. :)

BRoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm option b. But I also use notes plus, and when you zoom on the area for writing everything below the zoom box in effect becomes your palm pad. I don't have to erase often, but it is done quickly with a left-to-right and back gesture.

When not using the zoom, I float my palm above. My otter box provides a pretty high bumper to rest my wrist on so it's not too bad.

M

moparherb

I just started using Penultimate. I do use a Targus stylus. I find that with wrist protection turned on I still get some marks on the note pad, but it's really not to annoying. I guess I have nothing to compare this app to. It is my first free hand note taking app. I find it quite easy to use and maybe somewhere down the road I will try some kind of bridge or other device to rest my wrist on. I usually don't have to erase only a few small marks at the bottom of the page.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But I also use notes plus, and when you zoom on the area for writing everything below the zoom box in effect becomes your palm pad.

Huzzah! BRoss, with that one sentence you have just greatly increased the usefulness of that app to me. I only got it a few days ago, already convinced that Note Taker HD was the premier note-taking app for iPad. I thought the palm pad on NP was useless and couldn't figure out why Viet would put the zoom box in the middle of the screen. Now it all makes sense to me.

NP still needs a few more features to replace NTHD on my iPad, but now it's much more of a contender.

And it should be getting an update any day now.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chowdown said:
Huzzah! BRoss, with that one sentence you have just greatly increased the usefulness of that app to me. I only got it a few days ago, already convinced that Note Taker HD was the premier note-taking app for iPad. I thought the palm pad on NP was useless and couldn't figure out why Viet would put the zoom box in the middle of the screen. Now it all makes sense to me.

NP still needs a few more features to replace NTHD on my iPad, but now it's much more of a contender.

And it should be getting an update any day now.

What stylus do you use?

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Targus. Love it. Interesting stylus thread going on at the moment in the Accessories section.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am now using Note Taker HD and it has 2 edits. The first is with or without wrist guard and works quite well but I usually use edit 2 which allows you to easily specify an srea to write in w/o guard and it appears on "paper". Really easy to use and best I've tried. I have Noteshelf and Smartnote also. I almost never have to erase in Noteshelf but it dosn't have the file options and other things Note Taker offers.

Edit: I missed that Noteshelf added an optional edit in last upgrade very similar to Note Taker HD so ite now more competitive for me. You create notebooks in it and it does have a very wide range of paper. I have Notebooks too and its very flexible with both typed and written but it gets overly complex for me to use efficiently with widgete, etc. I prefer Note Taker and Note Shelf.

Diane

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use Note Taker HD, mostly in Edit 2. This lets me position wherever I wish on the "paper," yet always have my hand on the bezel (usually in landscape). The Edit 2 window always comes up at the bottom of the screen, which is what I like.

I use the Boxwave stylus, which glide very smoothly on the iPad.

Marilyn

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Edit 2 window always comes up at the bottom of the screen, which is what I like.
I really like that aspect of NTHD's design as well.

However, since discovering that the entire lower third of the screen effectively "becomes a bezel" when using zoom mode in Note Plus, I've been enjoying experimenting with that app.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mikeb41g said:
I just started using Noteshelf and I think it is even better than notetaker which I also have

See my edit above. i had missed that the last upgrade Note Shelf added an optional edit style similar to Note Taker HD and with its nice variety of papers its become more competitive with NTHD for me.

Diane

Rlanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all of the aforementioned note taking apps, and for me, the one that meets my needs best is Underscore Notify.

It is similar to Notes Plus, however, it has many more features, including; web clipping, importing images, pdf or word docs, and many others that you might find useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts