What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing personal software - not for the App Store

DGDanforth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Does Apple allow one to develop software for the iPad that is simply for personal use? I do research and currently develop code on a MacBook (running Parallels desktop so I really am using MS Windows on the MacBook). I do that development in BlackBox/Component Pascal and would like to port the compiler to the iPad.

Is that legally allowed?

Thanks for your comments.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Getting the SDK would let you create and run your own software. No one would force you to submit it to the Apple store (I hope!).

OP
D

DGDanforth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting the SDK would let you create and run your own software. No one would force you to submit it to the Apple store (I hope!).

Ah, but on the iPhone development one has an emulator for doing Objective-C development with their SDK. One can not run the software "native" without first submitting it to Apple for approval.

I was hoping there were people on this forum who were down in the nitty gritty of software development for the iPad and could elucidate the development requirements (restrictions).

momvetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad software only for your use, not through the app store

There are a couple of options.

You still need to be an Apple developer.

On the apple developer provisioning portal (that can be a whole other exercise, but let's assume you know how to use that), you can register up to 100 devices for your development "testing" machines.

You can then download any app you develop onto any one of those 100 devices. You don't need the apple store to do this.

The second option is through the Apple iOS developer enterprise program. This costs $299 / year as opposed to the $99 / year for the regular development license.

There is a caveat on the Apple web site: "You must be a company or organization with a DUNS number to apply." Not quite sure how this impacts you...

It doesn't say how many machines you can update with the app. Let's assume "a lot". I'm not as familiar with this program, but it is obviously set up for company enterprise apps, so I'm sure it is the "be all and end all" to this need...

I hope this helps!

Thanks

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not do the same thing that the app developers for jailbroken devices do?

Make your app outside of Apple's official channels and install it on your jailbroken iPad.

OP
D

DGDanforth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Duns number

There are a couple of options.

You still need to be an Apple developer.

On the apple developer provisioning portal (that can be a whole other exercise, but let's assume you know how to use that), you can register up to 100 devices for your development "testing" machines.

You can then download any app you develop onto any one of those 100 devices. You don't need the apple store to do this.

The second option is through the Apple iOS developer enterprise program. This costs $299 / year as opposed to the $99 / year for the regular development license.

There is a caveat on the Apple web site: "You must be a company or organization with a DUNS number to apply." Not quite sure how this impacts you...

It doesn't say how many machines you can update with the app. Let's assume "a lot". I'm not as familiar with this program, but it is obviously set up for company enterprise apps, so I'm sure it is the "be all and end all" to this need...

I hope this helps!

Thanks

Well I do have a company (in name only) with a DUNS number but the $299/year is too rich for me.

I have been an iPhone developer and paid the $99 but that has now lapsed.

I would need only one device registered, my own.

When I say "research" it is my own. I am no longer affiliated with a University. My area is speech recognition and machine learning.

I have no knowledge of what it takes to 'jailbreak' an iPad.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume that if you don't want to keep your developers license up, you COULD release your app in the iTunes store, get a valid copy, then remove it from the store. I'm not sure this would work, but you may wish to check it out. (I've not even released my current app yet, so I don't have the experience to answer this question.)

Otherwise, it's rather easy to use your "test devices," as long as your maintain a valid developers license.

Laure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for personal use, there's an AdHoc process

with the iOS SDK (iPad and iPhone), you can publish on the AppStore or to a group of less than 100 users - that's the special AdHoc distribution.
you just need the devices IDs of your friends/contacts and package your app with them...

OP
D

DGDanforth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with the iOS SDK (iPad and iPhone), you can publish on the AppStore or to a group of less than 100 users - that's the special AdHoc distribution.
you just need the devices IDs of your friends/contacts and package your app with them...

Laure,
Thank you very much. The key words are "AdHoc distribution"
-Doug

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice thread great to see constructive answers to OP question. Hopefully her problems are resolved. I would be nice to see a final response after the OP achieves her goal. I thank those members whom offered a solution

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is legal. Technically Cydia (which is legal) is a app.

bigchicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to get your app onto the device you need to be a registered developer and pay the $99. You don't need to use Xcode but you do have to have a properly provisioned device. The provisioning profiles expire after a couple of months so you would have to keep your developers licence current.

Depending on what you are doing with the app you might want to consider making it a web app and just accessing it from your iPad.

I don't know of any development engines that support Pascal on the iPad so you may be hooped there anyway.

Hope this helps. Check out my list of iOS development engines in this post.

mike
:8^]

Most reactions