What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

writing on ipad

buddahbear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there are stylus for ipads but I have these questions:

1. Can the stylus take notes, for example, on magazines, books and power points?

2. Is there a stylus for taking notes that creates a pencil like, thin point line? The ones I have seen all have tips about the size of a pencil eraser.

Thanks

Zach

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
buddahbear said:

1. Can the stylus take notes, for example, on magazines, books and power points?

2. Is there a stylus for taking notes that creates a pencil like, thin point line? The ones I have seen all have tips about the size of a pencil eraser.

Thanks

Zach

1) Depends on the app you're using.

2) No. Not yet, anyway.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For writing within magazines, sounds like you are talking about an annotation type app, which Mtnmedic was basically alluding to. For example, I annotate PDF files all the time-I can handwrite my own notes over a typewritten PDF file that I converted using an app called Save2PDF, or if the file itself already is in PDF form. I then open it up in a PDF annotation app, (in my case Noterize) and use my stylus to handwrite my own annotation/notes.

rmojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is one you can make that gives you a fine line:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhB2BF5yQM&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_504532]YouTube - iPad_[/ame]

Wingr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buddahbear said:

1) Depends on the app you're using.

2) No. Not yet, anyway.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

2) Is also dependent on the app. The stylus is thick due to the design of the capacitive screen. In Note Taker HD, the line is thin, similar to a ballpoint pen.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was going to mention that the size of the stylus end doesn't really have as much to do with the fineness of the line as much as the settings in the app. I use both a Targus and Pogo in several notetaking and graphic apps. I can set size, color, tranparency in all of them plus in Notetaker HD the second mode of writing results in quite fine line

Diane

Reaction score
Diane B said:
I was going to mention that the size of the stylus end doesn't really have as much to do with the fineness of the line as much as the settings in the app. I use both a Targus and Pogo in several notetaking and graphic apps. I can set size, color, tranparency in all of them plus in Notetaker HD the second mode of writing results in quite fine line

Diane

I think the main issue with larger styluses is not the actual width of the lune, but rather that the eye can't see the middle point of the stylus and thus has to guess where it will be.

OP
B

buddahbear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow thanks all for the ideas and information - just posted a short time ago and was pleasantly surprised to find all this info - the pen in the transparent pen video looks like it has to be held at a constant 90 degree angle to work - is that correct? i'm definitely going to check out save2pdf
thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts