What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing notes on a PDF file

Mohsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have many PDF files to read. Is there a way to write notes on a PDF file or highlight sentences?
Thx
Mohsen

IPadCFO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note Taker HD will allow you to write non PDF's as will as highlight documents. A second app is Noterize. I like the Note Taker Hd better as it has smoother writing.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with ipadCFO. You might also want to look at iAnnotate (haven't tried it).

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, but annotations made in GoodReader can only be seen in GoodReader.

Tweak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like iAnnotate. Smooth scrolling and good annotation features.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can only speak to Note Taker HD. I like it quite well. It does have smooth writing. I'm currently reading a PDF manuscript and very happy to be able to highlight by using my finger or stylus like a highlighter marker, and to be able to jot a note at the side of the page too.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but annotations made in GoodReader can only be seen in GoodReader.

Can you clarify this? The app description in the iTunes Store says that all annotations become part of the PDF itself and thus can be e-mailed to other people and opened in their "common" PDF reading programs, and all notes & drawings can be seen.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Smartnote free edition too, and have tinkered around with that a little too and actually prefer it over Note TakerHD for PDF annotation. However, I decided what the heck, I'd heard that Goodreader was decent, so I downloaded that today and like it better than both. In all fairness, I only just started to do annotations, so I can't make the most sweepingly comprehensive assessments yet, but that's what a forum is for-inclusive of sharing the learning experience too, eh? I like that Smartnote has the highlighter pen at the bottom of the screen a simple visible icon away. Put that in Goodreader, and I'd be really happy. But Goodreader is a PDF reader app first, not a note taking app, so I get the point as to why you need to first touch the screen to make the menu appear. And I like how it displays the pages and the smooth page turning better, so it ends up winning overall, and even being new at it, I can see it won't take long to get used to bringing the menu up, etc. I also perused Noterize on the App Store and thought about that too, but wasn't going to buy both. At this point, I will stick with Goodreader for my annotating. It seems to be a darn good PDF reader anyway, so I definitely am appreciating that.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I was just going to edit my last post, but whatever- would just make it run on looking. I swore I wasn't going to do it, but I did. I ended up getting another PDF annotation app-Noterize. It does have the instant on screen icons for pen and highlighter that I was seeking. Perfect for the annotation. No fussing with it. And Goodreader is still better for the reading of the PDF files. I like the page turning better on it, so what the heck. But I figured why not get the one that I think is easier for what I want to do which is highlight and jot a note really quickly.

Most reactions

Latest posts