What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Write while presenting

treeharbor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been searching for an answer on the web with no luck. Surprised! I am looking into making a presentation using Keynote/ebook (made by iBook Author). What I like to do is to draw on the screen while I am presenting using the Keynote slides or ebook. What apps can help me do that?

Your suggestions please.

Thx!

Harbor

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't used it yet, but PDF Expert has just added a presentation mode that looks pretty good. If you export the Keynote as a PDF and imported to PDF Expert, it should work.

They're probably quite a few other apps that will work for interactive presentations once you convert the file to a PDF.

OP
T

treeharbor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't used it yet, but PDF Expert has just added a presentation mode that looks pretty good. If you export the Keynote as a PDF and imported to PDF Expert, it should work.

They're probably quite a few other apps that will work for interactive presentations once you convert the file to a PDF.

Thanks! I am aware that there are apps for doing what I wanna do once the file has been converted to a PDF. What's tricky is that I wanna work on the ebook/Keynote file without converting it into PDF. Because I'd like to retain the animation in the ebook/Keynote.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any app that will do that. Sorry.

If I were to go searching myself, I'd take a look at the online meeting apps. They often have methods of sharing presentations and other media live, and might have the other tools you are looking for. There might be a local mode, or you could use a two device approach; one for presenting and one to run the display.

Good luck.

OP
T

treeharbor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know of any app that will do that. Sorry.

If I were to go searching myself, I'd take a look at the online meeting apps. They often have methods of sharing presentations and other media live, and might have the other tools you are looking for. There might be a local mode, or you could use a two device approach; one for presenting and one to run the display.

Good luck.

Thx a lot!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Do you own this app? I'm wondering how it compares to GoodReader? Also, what does the presentation mode actually do? $10 is a lot to pay to duplication funtionality, so I have to think carefully about this one.

I do so want the ability to do what the OP wants to do. On a PC, I use Powerpoint for this very thing. You can write on top of any slide if you have a tablet PC. Once done, you can save that annotations or you can delete them. It seems that for this to happen on the iPad, it needs to be a feature built into Keynote, or Keynote needs to pipe out to another app which will respect the Keynote presentation while letting you write on top. I think the former is more likely to happen than the latter. I wonder when will Apple next update Keynote?

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Do you own this app? I'm wondering how it compares to GoodReader? Also, what does the presentation mode actually do? $10 is a lot to pay to duplication funtionality, so I have to think carefully about this one.

PDF Expert has many unusual features, go have a look at their website.
Here is the presentation feature.

image-1191649316.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

There is a lot of overlap between GoodReader and PDF Expert, but they have their strengths. GoodReader makes a much better file manager and general tool for moving and viewing different files types. I also like it for large blueprint like PDF files that you're going to scroll around and zoom in a lot. The interface just seems better for this.

However, as it's name implies, PDF Expert will let you do a lot more with the PDF itself. The annotation tools aren't more powerful so much as differently focused, more about highlighting and marking things up. The signature tools are much better. But the bit big benefit of PDF Expert (to me) is that you can fill out editable forms and do some basic PDF editing; like rotate, delete, or rearrange the pages. That's not a view only rotate like in GoodReader, but something permanently saved to the file.

I do so want the ability to do what the OP wants to do. On a PC, I use Powerpoint for this very thing. You can write on top of any slide if you have a tablet PC. Once done, you can save that annotations or you can delete them. It seems that for this to happen on the iPad, it needs to be a feature built into Keynote, or Keynote needs to pipe out to another app which will respect the Keynote presentation while letting you write on top. I think the former is more likely to happen than the latter. I wonder when will Apple next update Keynote?

I've only played with the presentation mode a little, and only using Reflections on the iMac, so I don't know for sure how well it will work with a real projector. You have to active AirPlay in the multitask bar before the activate/disable option shows up in PDF Express.

There are three basic presentation modes: Mirroring, Document, and Screenshot. Using Reflections all modes except Mirroring displays the full document. It worked well for portrait documents, but it also insisted on a portrait display for the landscape document with big black bars above and below. I don't know if that's because I'm not using a real projector, or if it's something that needs to be fixed.

Mirroring does what you would expect. It mirrors the iPad's screen.

Document shows the current page of the document without showing the iPad's controls. Everything you mark up on the document gets displayed live, sort of. You don't see the actual drawing/moving of an annotation, just the results.

Screenshot freezes the current display. This lets you do whatever you need to do in PDF Expert in the background, like switch documents, make several annotations, whatever. Each time you tap Screen shot it updates to what you are doing on the iPad now. This affects both the Mirroring and Document modes.

Rather than use a pointer it does something called Focus. You draw a line through or circle around the part of the document you want to emphasize. The rest of the document dims while a clear rectangle draws attention to the selected area.

Internal links work in the document in Document and Mirroring mode. This lets you make things interactive to the extent that you can navigate the document as you would when reading, using table of contents or other reference links.

That's about all I can say at this time. I expect the Presentation mode will get better as time goes on. The developers have actively supported and extended PDF Expert from the beginning.

Attachments

• PDFPresentation.jpg
    PDFPresentation.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 344
  • PDFPresentation_2.jpg
    PDFPresentation_2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all of that. Much appreciated. So, I assume you own both GoodReader and PDF Expert, correct? I do have a need for presenting mainly PDF files, so I can see some real benefits.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all of that. Much appreciated. So, I assume you own both GoodReader and PDF Expert, correct? I do have a need for presenting mainly PDF files, so I can see some real benefits.

No problem.

I consider both worth keeping; though it does occasionally take a bit forethought to decide what PDF is best kept in what app. Not that it is hard to move the file if I change my mind. Both support DropBox, Box, Open In, and several other cloud and wi-fi options.

Most reactions