What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, these really are great for class use...

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to go paperless this semester, and I'm incredibly impressed with how the iPad integrates with my classes so far.

An added benefit I didn't consider is I'm always the first one ready to leave now. I just flip the cover over, stand up, and I'm ready to go.

Anyone else paperless and relying solely on their iPad as a student?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going to be in a law review class this fall and a class requirement is to have an iPad with drop box or good reader, and an ebook version of the three law books we are using. The syllabus states that there will be no printouts and that all exams will be done via iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going to be in a law review class this fall and a class requirement is to have an iPad with drop box or good reader, and an ebook version of the three law books we are using. The syllabus states that there will be no printouts and that all exams will be done via iPad.

Do you know how these exams will be given? Will you write something and email it in? Or is there a website to use?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Do you know how these exams will be given? Will you write something and email it in? Or is there a website to use?

Hi AQ_OC, what I understand is how the exams will work, the Prof has a PowerPoint test posted on the class screen and monitors. Students will receive a word doc with numbers and as each question is asked we put our answer on the word doc and at the end of the test, we send our answers back to the Prof for grading. This class is also available online so it has to work for online students too. Online students can view classes via Podcasts but they have to do their work on iPads and documents from the Prof.

I can't wait to see how all this tech and teaching comes together.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Hi AQ_OC, what I understand is how the exams will work, the Prof has a PowerPoint test posted on the class screen and monitors. Students will receive a word doc with numbers and as each question is asked we put our answer on the word doc and at the end of the test, we send our answers back to the Prof for grading. This class is also available online so it has to work for online students too. Online students can view classes via Podcasts but they have to do their work on iPads and documents from the Prof.

I can't wait to see how all this tech and teaching comes together.

That is interesting, Matt. Please let us know how this works. But is any of this something that actually requires an iPad?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
That is interesting, Matt. Please let us know how this works. But is any of this something that actually requires an iPad?

No, iPad not required. Any tablet or netbook that does not require an electric wall outlet in class. Must have wifi or Internet connection.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I graduated from college two months after the original iPad came. I can't decide if it would have been an asset or a distraction for me in class. I can absolutely say that it would have been nice to not carry around all those text books.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, iPad not required. Any tablet or netbook that does not require an electric wall outlet in class. Must have wifi or Internet connection.

Thought it was weird when you originally said an iPad was required and that all exams were going to be done on iPad. I can see profs wanting to go digital, but requiring any specific tablet sounds unreasonable. The post strained credibility.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
.....The post strained credibility.

Good grief! What a ...never mind.

On second thought, it occurred to me that you, Kay(3), do not understand course requirements for attending post graduate level classes in the USA? Professors are permitted to dictate the environment and the requirements in order for a student to attend their class. The catch word is "compatible".

According to the course requirements: "Students are required to have an Apple iPad compatible device with the app GoodReader (or equivalent), a registered University student email address, and have wifi access." Further instructions indicate that "there will be no access to external power sources and it is recommended that students have fully charged their Apple iPad while attending class sessions".

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
I graduated from college two months after the original iPad came. I can't decide if it would have been an asset or a distraction for me in class. I can absolutely say that it would have been nice to not carry around all those text books.

It is really interesting how the school I'm attending is embracing this technology. When I first attended college many years ago, there was concern that calculators were giving un-due advantage and students needed to learn how to calculate mathematical equations. But slide rules were acceptable. Now, math classes require a specific kind of calculator in order to take the class. Laptops were readily acceptable since I've been taking post graduate classes in the last three years. The iPad was acceptable as a reading resource only last fall, when our text book became available as e-books--which were almost as expensive as hard copy books (and some of these text books are still as expensive). One of the Law books I'm buying is US$125.00 as an electronic book. Hardcopy? US$135.00. I hope Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, etc., get it together and start working with text book providers to reduce the cost of e-text books!

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really interesting how the school I'm attending is embracing this technology. When I first attended college many years ago, there was concern that calculators were giving un-due advantage and students needed to learn how to calculate mathematical equations. But slide rules were acceptable. Now, math classes require a specific kind of calculator in order to take the class. Laptops were readily acceptable since I've been taking post graduate classes in the last three years. The iPad was acceptable as a reading resource only last fall, when our text book became available as e-books--which were almost as expensive as hard copy books (and some of these text books are still as expensive). One of the Law books I'm buying is US$125.00 as an electronic book. Hardcopy? US$135.00. I hope Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, etc., get it together and start working with text book providers to reduce the cost of e-text books!

Or at least make it possible if you purchase the hard copy book you get the ebook download for free. I would have been all for that. I have been contemplating going back to get my masters also, so maybe by then all this will be sorted out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Good grief! What a ...never mind.

On second thought, it occurred to me that you, Kay(3), do not understand course requirements for attending post graduate level classes in the USA? Professors are permitted to dictate the environment and the requirements in order for a student to attend their class. The catch word is "compatible".

According to the course requirements: "Students are required to have an Apple iPad compatible device with the app GoodReader (or equivalent), a registered University student email address, and have wifi access." Further instructions indicate that "there will be no access to external power sources and it is recommended that students have fully charged their Apple iPad while attending class sessions".

It usually works out best for the student if he/she has the same tools as the prof.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:

This kind of thing really pisses me off. For those prices, you should get hard copy and ebook. Ebook alone should be a lot less expensive.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
This kind of thing really pisses me off. For those prices, you should get hard copy and ebook. Ebook alone should be a lot less expensive.

Yeah, is it any wonder why graduates of certain professions come out of school with hundreds of thousands of dollars indebted? I'm a little bit fortunate in that my company is paying for part of my education. I'm trying to make a case for getting reimbursed for the iPad because it is a course requirement.

Most reactions

Latest posts