Wow, these really are great for class use...

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by milkmilklemonade, May 24, 2012.

1. milkmilklemonade

milkmilklemonade iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I'm trying to go paperless this semester, and I'm incredibly impressed with how the iPad integrates with my classes so far.

An added benefit I didn't consider is I'm always the first one ready to leave now. I just flip the cover over, stand up, and I'm ready to go.

Anyone else paperless and relying solely on their iPad as a student?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    I'm going to be in a law review class this fall and a class requirement is to have an iPad with drop box or good reader, and an ebook version of the three law books we are using. The syllabus states that there will be no printouts and that all exams will be done via iPad.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Do you know how these exams will be given? Will you write something and email it in? Or is there a website to use?
  4. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hi AQ_OC, what I understand is how the exams will work, the Prof has a PowerPoint test posted on the class screen and monitors. Students will receive a word doc with numbers and as each question is asked we put our answer on the word doc and at the end of the test, we send our answers back to the Prof for grading. This class is also available online so it has to work for online students too. Online students can view classes via Podcasts but they have to do their work on iPads and documents from the Prof.

I can't wait to see how all this tech and teaching comes together.
  5. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    That is interesting, Matt. Please let us know how this works. But is any of this something that actually requires an iPad?
  6. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    No, iPad not required. Any tablet or netbook that does not require an electric wall outlet in class. Must have wifi or Internet connection.
  7. eKindom

eKindom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  8. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I graduated from college two months after the original iPad came. I can't decide if it would have been an asset or a distraction for me in class. I can absolutely say that it would have been nice to not carry around all those text books.
  9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Thought it was weird when you originally said an iPad was required and that all exams were going to be done on iPad. I can see profs wanting to go digital, but requiring any specific tablet sounds unreasonable. The post strained credibility.
  10. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Good grief! What a ...never mind.

On second thought, it occurred to me that you, Kay(3), do not understand course requirements for attending post graduate level classes in the USA? Professors are permitted to dictate the environment and the requirements in order for a student to attend their class. The catch word is "compatible".

According to the course requirements: "Students are required to have an Apple iPad compatible device with the app GoodReader (or equivalent), a registered University student email address, and have wifi access." Further instructions indicate that "there will be no access to external power sources and it is recommended that students have fully charged their Apple iPad while attending class sessions".
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  11. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    It is really interesting how the school I'm attending is embracing this technology. When I first attended college many years ago, there was concern that calculators were giving un-due advantage and students needed to learn how to calculate mathematical equations. But slide rules were acceptable. Now, math classes require a specific kind of calculator in order to take the class. Laptops were readily acceptable since I've been taking post graduate classes in the last three years. The iPad was acceptable as a reading resource only last fall, when our text book became available as e-books--which were almost as expensive as hard copy books (and some of these text books are still as expensive). One of the Law books I'm buying is US$125.00 as an electronic book. Hardcopy? US$135.00. I hope Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, etc., get it together and start working with text book providers to reduce the cost of e-text books!
  12. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Or at least make it possible if you purchase the hard copy book you get the ebook download for free. I would have been all for that. I have been contemplating going back to get my masters also, so maybe by then all this will be sorted out.
  13. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    It usually works out best for the student if he/she has the same tools as the prof.
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    This kind of thing really pisses me off. For those prices, you should get hard copy and ebook. Ebook alone should be a lot less expensive.
  15. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Yeah, is it any wonder why graduates of certain professions come out of school with hundreds of thousands of dollars indebted? I'm a little bit fortunate in that my company is paying for part of my education. I'm trying to make a case for getting reimbursed for the iPad because it is a course requirement.
  16. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Based on that statement you posted, it is. Good luck.
  17. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Most college students have laptops nowadays, so it's not a stretch to require computer use. It wouldn't make sense to require everyone to buy an iPad, which is why it wasn't credible when the original post said an iPad was required.

I did both my graduate and undergrad degree in the U.S., but long before iPads, lol.
  18. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,157 / 1
    MattiM--
    I am having a hard time understanding your statement that Kay does not understand the course work for attending grad school in the USA, when in fact she has.

Yes, I agree that the word, "compatible" is the key. When I returned to Graduate School for my Clinical Doctoral Studies it was mandatory to be equipped with a laptop that had minimum requirements that the curriculum listed. Now returning back for additional Graduate work, the University requirement is now the use of a laptop and/tablet, iPad in order to download, access various sites, note taking, etc. The times have changed for students attending school once again. I have attended 3 Universities and all 3 only mention devices "that fit this minimal requirement" to meet the needs of the coursework involved.

Just my thoughts here.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  19. MattIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Up until Kay(3) shared her credentials I did not know that she attended school here in the US. And as she has admitted, this was long before the advent of iPads. I took her comment as challenging my credibility on a class that I am about to take and that I have not had direct experience. I did err when I first posted that an iPad was required and later modified my original post as others have queried me on what I posted.

Kay(3)'s first response struck me as offensive and I took her to mean that I was lying or fabricating or making up such a requirement. But her follow on comment modified that offensiveness. Attending one or two classes a year is a very slow process of attaining a master degree, I can easily say there is nothing at school that can stretch my incredulity when I see what a class requires in order to attend. However, I am incredulous at what passes for proper class attire in some undergraduate classes that I have had to endure in the recent past.

Requiring an iPad is not any more incredulous as requiring the purchase of Kenneth W Clarkson's Business Law: Text and Cases-Legal, Ethical, Global and Corporate Environment: US$301.95 or Frank B Cross': The Legal Environment of Business: Text and Cases: US$282.95 or Constance Bagley: Managers and the Legal Environment: US$290.95. I now have all of these books in my library. The last two law professors that I had that required these books advised that these are great references for the future and they are updated regularly....as if that would sooth the initial pain of purchase!
  20. Tuttle

Tuttle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0

Apparently the current lawsuit against Apple and several large publishers addresses this issue in a kind of convoluted way. It seems that the allegated collusion was an attempt to counteract Amazon's then current lock on the major ebook market. It is my understanding that the publishers didn't like Amazon cutting prices in an apparent attempt to undercut their stranglehold on the book market.

In any event, the textbook market is objectional in a great many ways---as is the state of higher education. Well, education in general!

The use of technology can be a good thing, but all too often our educational establishments resort to it as a relief valve, refusing to deal with the real issues.

On-line exams have always concerned me, but I am really high on the possibilities of the iPad in the classroom.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012