What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow! Must say Wow! From 1 time IPAD owner!

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
England, United Kingdom, the Northern Hemisphere,
I can't wait to get an iPad. I don't want engraving though, so I'm going to the apple store, and at my age (Very young, won't go to full info) walking in to an apple store with £399 looks really good. I've been to the apple store for several hours on ends on a few ocassions doing stuff on the iPads and helping random strangers and only seen 1 under 15 buy an iPad with money they are carrying and it looks "cool" (I'm not really up with the current "trends", to busy developing :p). I didn't know about the back button thing though. The hand gestures are really simple to do, and because the front touchpanel is so smooth, it is really effortless to do the gestures, unlike on a laptop. What office app do you guys reccommend? I plan on using my iPad for homework. Also, I have angry birds for my iPod, if I install that to an iPad, and update it, will it become the current iPad friend angry birds?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should warn you. The iPad was also my first ever Apple purchase 2 years ago as a result when my home PCs need replacing I will be replacing them with Macs. For business I have no choice but to use Windows but I am sick of all the overhead and popups telling me this and that about updates. I thought at first I was just going to replace Norton with something less invasive but the more I have thought about it the sicker of it I have gotten. This coming from a person who has dogged Mac owners his entire life. I even sent my sister a sympathy card when she got one.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I misspoke. I have owned the simple iPods for years but it is not quite the same thing.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@mikeswife: what are you looking to do with photos? Get them onto the iPad to show others like a digital photo frame? If so, this can be set up in iTunes. If you're not going to need to update the albums very often, this will do the trick.
If it's the odd photo, using something like Dropbox or emailing the photo to yourself and saving it to the camera roll will also do.

The inbuilt photo app is not bad, for viewing photos. In fact it was my main driver for buying my first iPad a year ago, given it's strong RAW format support.

Glad you are getting to grips with it though, great piece of kit!

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beesknees. You can run Windows on a Mac. I use Parallels and use both Windows 7 and OS X Lion simultaneously.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank y'all for all your help. that helps so much already! Please forgive my lack of some caps. I am getting used to using this keyboard and as a transcription it's this cap thing is driving me crazy! but I can type faster this way! anyway, the other day when I was installing iTunes on my pc before I even got my iPad I accidentally installed the safari on my pc as well. Maybe I installed iCloud. I will have to check on Monday, after the holiday. Besides I can do it then if I haven't yet.

I am relieved to know that nothing is wrong with the safari and I will just make msn my usual home page. I didn't know you could use the extension cord. I will for sure do that!

Is iBooks the app you use that works with your kindle books? I downloaded the app, but I certainly do not want to download all my books to the iPad as I have around 900. I do have the fb ap and that works great and the ap for this site is working great for me tonight. I'm so grateful I found this site as I am so new to apple products. thanks!

There is a Kindle app for your Kindle books. I also have a Kindle ereader that I still use when I want to bury myself in a novel. However, the Kindle app for iPad will also work for the Kindle books, and for magazines, as well. I actually prefer the Kindle app because I have a lot of Kindle/Amazon books. I think the only book I have in iBooks is the iPad manual.

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dvans- all I do w/ my pics is look at them! I bought the Apple camera kit & when I take pics of family or our garden as it changes w/ the seasons I would like to put it on there. I probably would like to either be able to either pick & choose what I put on there so I don't use up all my space or either be able to delete what I don't want easily. I use ACDSee on my desktop to occasionally fix a pic here & there such as red eye or lighten or darken, but that's not a big deal. I can always do that on the desktop & then get it to my IPAD. I really, really, really dislike Itunes. I have fooling w/ it more today & can't seem to find anything but some music sync'd b/n the pc & the ipad on there, no mention on the ipad of the free books or apps I downloaded to the deskop. Just the music tab. Very hard to get around!

And mdholm, I DL the kindle ap last night & it's awesome. Of course I forgot about it by today & kept looking for my book in ibooks & was like what the heck! LOL But then it came back to me! I could see becoming an Apple convert! I've DL bunches of aps that will take me a while to explore. Hubby is already becoming jealous of my time spent on it, trying to learn it. How can I tell? Last night he asked me..."Shouldn't you give your eyes a rest?" :rolleyes:

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikeswife said:
And mdholm, I DL the kindle ap last night & it's awesome. Of course I forgot about it by today & kept looking for my book in ibooks & was like what the heck! LOL But then it came back to me! I could see becoming an Apple convert! I've DL bunches of aps that will take me a while to explore. Hubby is already becoming jealous of my time spent on it, trying to learn it. How can I tell? Last night he asked me..."Shouldn't you give your eyes a rest?" :rolleyes:

When I first got my iPad (the "3" is my first) my boyfriend posted on Facebook that's it's been nice knowing me. He's so funny.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikeswife said:
dvans- all I do w/ my pics is look at them! I bought the Apple camera kit & when I take pics of family or our garden as it changes w/ the seasons I would like to put it on there. I probably would like to either be able to either pick & choose what I put on there so I don't use up all my space or either be able to delete what I don't want easily. I use ACDSee on my desktop to occasionally fix a pic here & there such as red eye or lighten or darken, but that's not a big deal. I can always do that on the desktop & then get it to my IPAD. I really, really, really dislike Itunes. I have fooling w/ it more today & can't seem to find anything but some music sync'd b/n the pc & the ipad on there, no mention on the ipad of the free books or apps I downloaded to the deskop. Just the music tab. Very hard to get around!

The standard photo app should be all you need then. Pop your sd card in the reader (or plug camera into the USB one), the photos app will appear and you can select which ones to copy. You can now create albums on iOS 5 so you can move your photos around as you like.

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it! Thanks! Am I missing something w/ Itunes? My Itunes on my IPAD looks nothing like my Itunes on my PC. There is no "frontpage" that gives me the file, edit, control, store, advanced, help at the top on my IPAD. THis is very frustrating for when I am trying to do anything w/ Itunes on the IPAD itself.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
Beesknees. You can run Windows on a Mac. I use Parallels and use both Windows 7 and OS X Lion simultaneously.

By simultaneously do you mean I could have one monitor with Lion for email and other normal productivity and one with Windows? It probably wouldn't matter if it does because the moment I tell support I am on a Mac instead of a PC is the moment they tell me it is unsupported and they will make no further attempt to help me.

Most reactions

Latest posts