What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow a real fault...

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my part of the world we are finally moving into late Autumn and cooler days are coming. Due to the cooler mornings my iPad_1 has begun giving a failure on it's display but only when it's cool and even then it's very intermittent.

I have contacted my supplier who has said it's best i take it directly to an Apple Repair agent. My concern here is I will have to wait weeks while they sort it and i won't know what to do with my life without my ipad (only kidding)...

For the record the display comes on in green or red fringing like in this picture but only if the unit is cool while most of the time it's fine: I was able to do a really rough photo on my iPhone 4 before it came right... Anyone know what might be happening or have i done something to make it happen? TIA

ipadscreenfail.jpg

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a post here on the forum about a real broken iPad that fell to the ground. It was still working but it was mentioned that the display was RED.
So he does seems like a hardware problem

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, it did a drop to a carpeted floor from the leather holder a few months ago from desk height, (under a yard). I recall now the screen stayed black for ages as it wouldn't wake up. I put it aside and tried about an hour later. It came up but the booting 'apple' icon had red 'sparklies ' for a while and it took ages to come up. The units been fine since till now when that is and the trouble only shows very intermittently it's cold.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't mention that when you take it in also check for damage as if damage not covered however you may claim through your home contents policy if you have one

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the latest info is that I now own an iPad2 64GB WiFi 3G. The previous 16GB WiFi ((only) increasingly became unhappy when started if cold. The screen would solarise on green or red until things warmed up. I'd a few problems with the original retailer's service but eventually Apple Support agreed to an exchange replacement. Then came the issue of stock...

5 weeks after notifying my original retailer of the trouble and since it was impossible to obtain a replacement I negotiated a deal to pay the difference on top for an iPad 2.

It has worked out well and the 64GB is fantastic because I learned awfully quick 16GB was just too small for all my apps!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear that it all worked out OK. It's good to know when Members get good service from Apple or one of their retailers and it gives confidence to other Members who may have a similar problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

Tim

Most reactions