What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you rent an Ipad for 25 USD pr. day when travelling to another country?

ravenellos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G and useful tourist apps included in rental price. Ipad delivered to hotel and picked back up.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. For me, the iPad is a personal device with all my apps and other content loaded on it. Plus, it doesn't cost $25 a day for online access anywhere if I use my own iPad.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ravenellos said:
3G and useful tourist apps included in rental price. Ipad delivered to hotel and picked back up.

I am going overseas next month and hopefully by then I will have my iPad loaded with everything I'll need. So no not for me because I do all my research beforehand. If you could load the iPad with all points of interest for that particular city and what they'll be doing on their trip, some might be interested especially if skype was available for those who need to keep in contact. There's a lot to think about with this venture.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you're asking as a market research effort. A couple of thoughts.

() You're unlikely to find a reliable sample for your question on a forum like this. Almost all of us have our own iPads and most are relatively well versed in the apps available for travel. In short, when we travel we're likely to have our own iPads.

() I suspect you'd be better off with a less flexible, more portable, and more focused device than the iPad. Not to mention a less expensive device. A tablet (preferably one smaller than the iPad) pre-loaded with content (or web sites) specific to the city in question, e.g. maps, tourist attractions, etc. and easily accessible from a home screen would be the "value added". Think of the sort of audio guides available in museums, for example. Not necessarily in terms of audio tours (though that would be great), but in terms of ease of use and obvious value to the tourist.

() Keep in mind that as user friendly as the iPad is, people do take courses in Apple stores to learn how to use them. Simply handing a tourist an iPad and expecting them to know how to make use of it is likely to be problematic.

() Overall, I think you have the seed of a good idea. Focus on limiting the cost of the device, the ease of use, portability, and the value added in terms of specific apps/websites/content a tourist might want to access and you may have a winner. But don't underestimate the upfront investment (especially in the "value added" aspect of the device.)

P.S. As a fan of Rick Steve's travel shows in Europe, it's noteworthy that he repeatedly advises travelers to hire local guides in unfamiliar cities. If you think of the device you're considering as the electronic version of such a "guide," and price it accordingly, you may have a market.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. I can get a real local guide throughout SEA for that much money...

-t

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Assuming you're asking as a market research effort. A couple of thoughts.

() You're unlikely to find a reliable sample for your question on a forum like this. Almost all of us have our own iPads and most are relatively well versed in the apps available for travel. In short, when we travel we're likely to have our own iPads.

() I suspect you'd be better off with a less flexible, more portable, and more focused device than the iPad. Not to mention a less expensive device. A tablet (preferably one smaller than the iPad) pre-loaded with content (or web sites) specific to the city in question, e.g. maps, tourist attractions, etc. and easily accessible from a home screen would be the "value added". Think of the sort of audio guides available in museums, for example. Not necessarily in terms of audio tours (though that would be great), but in terms of ease of use and obvious value to the tourist.

() Keep in mind that as user friendly as the iPad is, people do take courses in Apple stores to learn how to use them. Simply handing a tourist an iPad and expecting them to know how to make use of it is likely to be problematic.

() Overall, I think you have the seed of a good idea. Focus on limiting the cost of the device, the ease of use, portability, and the value added in terms of specific apps/websites/content a tourist might want to access and you may have a winner. But don't underestimate the upfront investment (especially in the "value added" aspect of the device.)

P.S. As a fan of Rick Steve's travel shows in Europe, it's noteworthy that he repeatedly advises travelers to hire local guides in unfamiliar cities. If you think of the device you're considering as the electronic version of such a "guide," and price it accordingly, you may have a market.

And that...people...is how you break your answer down. Well written and thought out.

And I would not pay $25 a day for the iPad if I were going to another country only because if I lose it or if it's stolen, i will have to pay the vendor for the original price.

That and I'd be mad when it's time to return it because all iPad users always wonder how they got along before laying hands on one.

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

Njzillest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally would never pay that ridiculous price. I also bereave the iPad is a very personal device. It is something you own rather than something you rent.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$175 a week to rent an iPad? Whoever is thinking people will pay that has rocks in their head.

If you know the person ask them if they want to buy any of the 19th Century South American Gold Shares I'm selling cheap.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2 and devices like it fall into a vogue genre, as a business owner i could see that if i busted or lost mine, and i needed it bad to access my info while away on a trip, i'd likely pay for short term access, given in emergency i could buy and keep a cheap android for a few days hire, i can't see a big market for this otherwise.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$175 a week to rent an iPad? Whoever is thinking people will pay that has rocks in their head.

If you know the person ask them if they want to buy any of the 19th Century South American Gold Shares I'm selling cheap.

To funny. I really can't think of anything I would rent for $25 a day. Maybe a car? But that is still too much!

RogerKahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would go for it if I was traveling for 3-5 days. Any more than that and I'd probably just buy an iPad and then sell it on ebay after if I don't want it.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
To funny. I really can't think of anything I would rent for $25 a day. Maybe a car? But that is still too much!

Lady of dubious reputation? :) :) :)

Most reactions

Latest posts