What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you pay for a ipad2 JB today?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JB is free, performing it is called a service. Am I not allowed to sell a service? I'm not catching your logic, it's like it isn't there. Explain what you meant with your question.

EDIT: Not sure who is going into the JB business. I thought it was GMouse so I quoted him/her. Bob is confused apparently. Anyway, whoever it is, here you go.

Bob is on your side. Do not listen to these people that might think how terrible it is you want to charge people to do something they can do for free. That is, if it is possible to JB the iPad 2 in the first place.

You will find lots of folks addicted to free and when you dare to charge for something that is/will be available for free, darn you all to the hotter areas of Heck. You horrific old fart, how dare you? They might say that. Well except for Sweetpoison, she is a doll.

Hot, too. But I digress.

I say go for it, my man. Or girl, not sure of your gender. Make some big dollars, do not cheat, be sure to pay the tax man, and live the good life on your dollars. Earned honestly, Bob wishes you all the luck.

I am all for making dollars by the heap. Nothing wrong unless you FU a few iPads. So make sure you address the 'what if' issues. Also mange sure that you warn people that their warranty is null and void if Apple discovers the j/b.

Luck to Ya, Bob

Why yes he was, BOB. Focus. Must be all that rap you listen to.:D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<===== High-fiving Marie! Nice tie-in from the other post! Your headache must be better because your focus is razor sharp!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pssst... Hey Bob, gray_mouse was permanently banned from the forum this morning. "Just sayin'..."

OK and thanks. Was not aware.

But let me ask this question: if someone wants to charge for such a service, where is the problem? Now, I know all about IP rights and they must be protected. I also know those gathered here would likely never pay for a JB and I know that the moderators take a dim view of advertising such things on the forums.

From reading the comments, it appears some here would pay for a JB.

I also know that selling the software is likely wrong because it is offered by the developer(s) for free and selling it is almost always illegal unless you cut a deal with the developers. And they retain the right to start selling it on disk if they want to. Even though they also offer a free version to anyone and everyone.

And I know that it is simple to steal the programs and put them on a CD and resell them to the masses with very little chance they will be caught; if they are, not much will happen.

The Wallpapers part of this forum and other forums likely contains wallpapers that the poster has not right to offer to the masses without permission. Not wanting to argue that issue here, just saying.

But it is not illegal to charge for a service. We could argue the minutia and at what point do you cross the line between legal and helpful and outright theft. I say performing a JB for a fee is legal unless this is strictly prohibited by the developers. Then again, I am not so sure they would have a case if all the entrepreneur is doing is the physical JB.

That said, I know there are many people that want someone else to do the heavy lifting. Although they can get something like JB/unlock software on the net for nothing, and although it is easy to use, there are those skittish folks that still think a JB is best left to the experts and chances are, they simply believe that everyone offering such services is an expert.

Anyone want to discuss this? I can see it being legal or illegal depending on how you interpret the law. I can't, for example, buy one copy of Windows and offer installation as a service if I use the same disk thousands of times. Or once, if I have already installed the software.

I can offer Winders installation and setup services for the masses, however. Tens of thousands of people do this kind of thing.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JB is free, performing it is called a service. Am I not allowed to sell a service? I'm not catching your logic, it's like it isn't there. Explain what you meant with your question.

EDIT: Not sure who is going into the JB business. I thought it was GMouse so I quoted him/her. Bob is confused apparently. Anyway, whoever it is, here you go.

Bob is on your side. Do not listen to these people that might think how terrible it is you want to charge people to do something they can do for free. That is, if it is possible to JB the iPad 2 in the first place.

You will find lots of folks addicted to free and when you dare to charge for something that is/will be available for free, darn you all to the hotter areas of Heck. You horrific old fart, how dare you? They might say that. Well except for Sweetpoison, she is a doll.

Hot, too. But I digress.

I say go for it, my man. Or girl, not sure of your gender. Make some big dollars, do not cheat, be sure to pay the tax man, and live the good life on your dollars. Earned honestly, Bob wishes you all the luck.

I am all for making dollars by the heap. Nothing wrong unless you FU a few iPads. So make sure you address the 'what if' issues. Also mange sure that you warn people that their warranty is null and void if Apple discovers the j/b.

Luck to Ya, Bob

Why yes he was, BOB. Focus. Must be all that rap you listen to.:D

For Shizzle, Dawg. Know what I be sayin'?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...I know that the moderators take a dim view of advertising such things on the forums.
This is a private forum that is totally financed through the sale of advertising. What we frown on is ANYONE advertising ANYTHING on this forum without paying for it.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want a permanent sticky where I can go to argue with banned members. It would save this list a boat load of Bob-Crap and there is nobody there to disagree. I also want to use multi syllabic words that describe naughty actions and hit on girls.

That reminds me . . . we also need a dating section.

OP
M

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I was not very clear when I started this post.
What I meant to ask everyone was: let's say that some completely unknown developer (not comex, ionic, or the dev team) announced that he developed a ipad2 jailbreak tool, it was totally legit, and that he charged for the jailbreak tool.
Would you buy his jailbreak tool or wait for comex's free release?
If you would be willing to buy it and be jailbroken today, how much would you pay?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountaingamer said:
I guess I was not very clear when I started this post.
What I meant to ask everyone was: let's say that some completely unknown developer (not comex, ionic, or the dev team) announced that he developed a ipad2 jailbreak tool, it was totally legit, and that he charged for the jailbreak tool.
Would you buy his jailbreak tool or wait for comex's free release?
If you would be willing to buy it and be jailbroken today, how much would you pay?

$30 if I had an iPad 2 :(

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just throwing out the question - if a ipad2 jailbreak was released today for a fee- would you a: buy it, and b: how much would you be willing to pay?
I would personally pay $10 just to end the agony!

I'd pay $15.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is the thing: if you had a solid JB that actually works, you might be able to charge $49.95 - $59.95 for it. Those gathered here know that you never need to pay for a JB (although a donation if asked for by the dev is nice to offer) and it is likely a scam if you do pay for the actual software. Selling the software is illegal unless you have written permission and all that entails.

The key lies in promotion of the service to the masses. I have lived long enough to understand that you can sell just about anything to lots of people if you simply prove it solves a problem, and the problem does not need to be serious or real, just imagined and wrapped in a slick and compelling marketing message.

We will not pay but there are millions of iPad/iPhone/iPod users and some of them might pay because they do not read the forums or understand that the required software can be had for free. Then again, if many know this, they still might pay for someone to do the install work.

Some people participating in this thread expressed a willingness to pay for a JB.

If you can promote the wonders of a JB in a way that makes doing the deed a no-brainer and delivers legitimate advantages in a way that make the process compelling, you might make a few bucks. I was excited as hell when I discovered that I could use a JB to gain file system access and the use of MicroSD cards for storing documents. I would have gladly paid fifty dollars for the service or software.

I recently came across a story about a guy that offers JB/Unlocking services on Craig's List. Apparently, CL is the only place he advertises and he makes some serious cash.

All I can offer folks is this: selling the software is illegal unless you have permission. Do whatever you want as long as you do so honorably and legally. If anyone wants to try to sell something here, the moderators can point you to whoever handles advertising. And as far as I can tell, selling the SW is illegal but offering a service is not.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts