What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you let your coworkers borrow your brand new iPad 2 to "play"?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I reckon "tight...." is relative. Your friends are very lucky. And I hope you continue to be as lucky as you apparently have been in the past.

Reaction score
Nakcol24 said:
I didn't have the screen replaced....they replaced the iPod lol. I was able to get her a brand new one. :) It's their rental insurance program. Google USAA Rental insurance and it should come up as one of the first hits. It is an excellent program!

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

I already have the rental insurance already. Good to know my toys are covered too!! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jeans94621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love showing off my ipad and i will give anyone a tour but no one has the nerve to ask me to take it away from my sight . The very thought of it makes the hair on my neck stand up. When i got my iphone 4 I told everybody who wanted to see it it was made of glass and easy to break but I will show you anything you want to see. I would just say no with a smile.

xhuntercx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel like this happens to me a lot. My 7 year old cousin loves to just ask me. After I've said no, he decides that there's a better chance if he asks me again. 5 times later. BUT NOBODY TOUCHES MY IPAD

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been one to loan my belongings to friends and relatives, I always found it hard to say no, but after having to replace countless books, DVDs, garden tools, chainsaw, one friend cooked the motor in my car, he ignored the temperature gauge, I suddenly realized that I was the one buying everything for others to use. Say no, it doesn't sound as if they are just having a look. It's more than that now and if you allow them to continue using your iPad, it won't be a case of IF your iPad will get damaged but WHEN it will be damaged. They shouldn't be asking you anyway.

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad none of you are my friends, sound like a bunch of tight..... I would lend anything I own to any of my friends / co workers, there just possessions, maybe I'm to generous, just my opinion :)

Your a nice person and so am I.

To stay that way and keep my friends, I say
no.

If they abused or broke it, how would you react?...:confused:

OP
HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
So yesterday, a coworker approached me and asked if she could borrow my iPad to surf the web. This was during lunch. I'm guessing she's interested in checking Facebook and other social sites but didn't want to use her office computer.

Before I started this thread and heard feedback from you all, I probably would have reluctantly lent it to her. So yesterday, I told her "Sorry, I've decided to not let people borrow my iPads from from now on". She looked really surprised, at first even assumed I was joking around. Then she walked away laughing, making fun of me for hoarding my toys. Lol. Oh well. So first try was a success!!

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTMLEgg that is awesome! It sure felt good saying no didn't it?

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Her reaction might have been mostly surprise at having been refused. Once the word spreads, as it will, you'll be getting fewer requests. And in the end no one will think the worst of you for it.

What is it with people anyway that they think they have some "right" to borrow and use expensive, highly personal stuff? And the right to be miffed if they don't get it? Maybe just part of the general and on-going erosion of manners.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
arbor53 said:
I'm glad none of you are my friends, sound like a bunch of tight..... I would lend anything I own to any of my friends / co workers, there just possessions, maybe I'm to generous, just my opinion :)

But that's not how I would measure 'friendship'. To many owners, an iPad is a personal device, and 'friends' would/should understand that. If they must play with it, there's the Apple Shop just two blocks down the road they can help themselves.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in a coffee shop the other day talking with a bunch of people. I pulled my iPad out to show them a couple photos I took. A kid who just came in with his family saw it and excitedly said to his dad "Look! An iPad!" I pulled up one of my favorite games (Dalton, The Awesome), showed him how to play, and let him play it as I continued my conversation with my friends. When the family got up to leave, I got the iPad back. The dad thanked me for making his kid's day.

I won't lend anything I own to someone I don't trust. Considering I have a very strict no a-hole rule, I tend to surround myself with people I can trust. If I can trust them with it and I can part with it at the moment, I'll let them borrow it. Of course they know the break-it-buy-it rule.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Egg.. good for you for taking the first step in establishing boundaries. That's what this is all about, you know? I would NEVER ask a co-worker if I could borrow THEIR iPad. I let family play with mine, but they are family and that's a different situation than coworkers. It's not about the device, it's about some people having the audacity to think you should cheerfully hand over something you've worked and saved to purchase. They should do the same or do without.

auld yin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xFrenchFr1es said:
The people that usually ask me if they can use are people in my class and not my coworkers as I use my iPad for school. But I usually say no.

The reason why is because if they spill something on it or just break it, you can't really ask them to buy you a new one.

What I answer is usually something along the lines of " other people have already asked me an I said no so it would be unfair of me to say yes to you.."

But if it's my best friend that asks me I'll probably say yes as I know that I can trust him..

Perhaps that's the answer. Yes you can borrow it provided you agree to buy me a new one if you break/damage it in any way.

OP
HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
xFrenchFr1es said:
The people that usually ask me if they can use are people in my class and not my coworkers as I use my iPad for school. But I usually say no.

The reason why is because if they spill something on it or just break it, you can't really ask them to buy you a new one.

What I answer is usually something along the lines of " other people have already asked me an I said no so it would be unfair of me to say yes to you.."

But if it's my best friend that asks me I'll probably say yes as I know that I can trust him..

Perhaps that's the answer. Yes you can borrow it provided you agree to buy me a new one if you break/damage it in any way.

Haha. Yea so true!! I should put up a giant sticker that says break it, damage it or dirty it in any way, you buy me a new one! Sign here.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we need to make a distinction about entitlement mindsets. IMHO, there's a big difference between someone thinking they're entitled to borrow someone else's device and someone asking to borrow it. The former, in my opinion, would result in the person just taking it whereas people realize they don't have that entitlement and, thus, are asking to borrow.

Now, if one of these people became indignant when the user refuted their use, then we would have a larger problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts