What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you get a 32 gig or 64 gig iPad 4?

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won a iPad2 16 gig model and I returned it to Best Buy to receive a store credit.
I'm waiting for the iPad 4 which comes out next Friday.

Would you pay the extra $$$ to get the 64 gig or just the extra $$ to get the 32 gig?
Why would I need to double the memory capacity on it? Never used a tablet before so I want
to make sure I am purchasing the right model. If I just plan to use it as a photography portfolio,
check e-mail, maybe listen to a few tunes on it, do I need to double the memory? I don't see myself
watching a lot of movies on it, so why would I need the additional capacity?

Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
knowoneuno said:
I won a iPad2 16 gig model and I returned it to Best Buy to receive a store credit.
I'm waiting for the iPad 4 which comes out next Friday.

Would you pay the extra $$$ to get the 64 gig or just the extra $$ to get the 32 gig?
Why would I need to double the memory capacity on it? Never used a tablet before so I want
to make sure I am purchasing the right model. If I just plan to use it as a photography portfolio,
check e-mail, maybe listen to a few tunes on it, do I need to double the memory? I don't see myself
watching a lot of movies on it, so why would I need the additional capacity?

Thanks!

I would, yes indeed.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello knowoneuno, very clever name! Welcome to the forum. When you get the chance, head on over to the newcomers forum and introduce yourself. While you're in there, read the tips and tricks and forum rules sticky.

Judging from your profile, I would advise you to get the biggest storage size you can afford. That would be the 64gig. I recommend you get the camera connection kit as well. This kit will enable you to download files from your camera to the iPad for viewing. I have the iPad (3rd generation) to display portfolios to prospective brides and then show them their proofs for ordering. Since the bride is always with at least two other people, showing photos on an iPad is so much easier than on a laptop. And its screen is just about the size of their printed photos. I do not keep portfolios on the iPad permanently, photo files take up a lot of room.

I'm using my experience as a wedding photographer. I am not assuming you are one too, knowoneuno.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I first got my iPad 3 I got the 32GB..........within 2-weeks I realized I made a mistake and should of gotten the 64GB model.
Luckily I was able to return it for the larger one.

I would recommend to almost anyone to get the largest model.........you will find out it will fill up fast. Many are wishing for a 128GB model.
Music, pictures, apps, video.......fills up fast.

Sure you can use the cloud for some stuff but there is nothing like having it all on the iPad and there when you need it.

And yes I have a 64GB iPad 4 coming this Friday! :thumbs:

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Guess I'm getting the 64 gig model.

And yes, I'm a professional photographer, thankfully, I don't do weddings.

:D

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other option is to spend the extra $100 on an AirStash unit and then have unlimited storage via SD cards. That's what I chose to do with my recently ordered iPad 4. My iPad 2 64GB was only getting full when I would put a bunch of movies on it when travelling. I too am a prof. photographer, but find the iPad useful only for sharing photos with others and I use an Eye-fi card in one of the two SD slots in my Pentax 645D to send medium sized jpegs to my iPad for checking focus when shooting landscapes. Transferring RAW files to/from the iPad and trying to view them there just is too time consuming.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other option is to spend the extra $100 on an AirStash unit and then have unlimited storage via SD cards. That's what I chose to do with my recently ordered iPad 4. My iPad 2 64GB was only getting full when I would put a bunch of movies on it when travelling. I too am a prof. photographer, but find the iPad useful only for sharing photos with others and I use an Eye-fi card in one of the two SD slots in my Pentax 645D to send medium sized jpegs to my iPad for checking focus when shooting landscapes. Transferring RAW files to/from the iPad and trying to view them there just is too time consuming.

Well now the debate has also moved from going to a "wi-fi" only unit, to the one where I get "wi-fi" and the 3G or whatever they offer. I really am leaning against doing that, I think I'll be just fine with "wi-fi" only. I just moved over to Sprint for my iPhone and I HATE their service, already. Don't want to be giving them another $15 a month or so, on the 3G option. Plus, if I buy it with all the bells and whistles, I'm now looking at plunking down about $500 of my own money, plus the $399 plus tax I have from Best Buy on a gift card, when I returned the one, I won. I'm thinking "wi-fi" with 64 GB will be the route I'm going to go.

Also, thanks for your info on the iPad useful for only sharing with others. I'm seriously thinking about making my portfolio mobile on it, and quit carrying around prints to show prospective clients. Can you please e-mail me privately to tell me what you are talking about with this "Eye-fi" card" in your SD slots so I can check my focus when shooting? I don't shoot landscapes, but I would like to learn more about this.

I would never transfer RAW files to/from the iPad, no way I'm doing that.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want GPS, don't forget that you have to have a 3/4G model to get the GPS chip.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
knowoneuno said:
Also, thanks for your info on the iPad useful for only sharing with others. I'm seriously thinking about making my portfolio mobile on it, and quit carrying around prints to show prospective clients. Can you please e-mail me privately to tell me what you are talking about with this "Eye-fi" card" in your SD slots so I can check my focus when shooting? I don't shoot landscapes, but I would like to learn more about this.

Here is a very good comprehensive thread from our iPad Hacking section. It discusses Air Stash and other devices that help you expand your storage.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/71951-using-external-storage-devices-ipad.html

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you please e-mail me privately to tell me what you are talking about with this "Eye-fi" card" in your SD slots so I can check my focus when shooting? I don't shoot landscapes, but I would like to learn more about this.
Private Message sent.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want GPS, don't forget that you have to have a 3/4G model to get the GPS chip.

I've got a Garmin GPS, plus an iPhone 4S, so I think I'm covered with GPS, BUT, are you saying the "wi-fi" version doesn't offer any GPS service? I think that would be a big deal for me, if I didn't have a regular GPS, plus an iPhone 4S. But since I've got two GPS units, I think I'm not going to pay extra for the 3/4G model, plus pay a extra data fee every month.....

And, does Sprint offer a data service for iPads, or would I have to go with another carrier for just that?

Thanks!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a SIM. The GPS chip is part of the 3G machine, and works even if, like mine, it doesn't hav a data plan.

You just have to make sure your maps are available off line.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One final question about which model I should get. I'm still leaning very heavily for the wi-fi only version, but in the 64 gig storage model. I have seen where you can make your iPhone a temporary mobile "hot spot" and use your wi-fi iPad via your iPhone. Yet, I go to a site that shows how to do it, and it says something about going into your "settings" menu to do this. No where in my settings menu on my iPhone is there a bar that says, "set up mobile hot spot" or something similar to that. Any ideas? I'm using a Sprint iPhone 4S with Siri.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I wanted to save money, and looked at my use of my iPad 1 when I was upgrading to the 3. I went with the 32GB over the 64Gb simply because I never used all the space. I did a hard look at the games I was playing and the number of movies/music/shows I had and decided that the 32GB would suit. I am happy with the decision, though I do pay more attention to what I put on the iPad now more than I ever did previously.

If I were to upgrade again, I would probably move back to the 64 (or, 128 if we are lucky with future models). More so I dont have to pay attention than anything else.

It all depends on YOUR INTENDED USE

Most reactions

Latest posts