What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy GPS Tom Tom?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I have a car GPS (Magellan Maestro) and use it on trips all the time. It is nice, sits in the windshield without taking up 60% of my vision or relying on me to look down into the car away from the road.

Personally, I would recommend a dedicated GPS for travel.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Tom Tom but don't use it much anymorre. I'm someone who loves maps and likes to plan a trip so I've been using maps snd doiing a printscreen so I can bring it up on the trip if needed. If it was a lot of turns etc. may use thr GPS but in most cases I pretty well know where I'm going just because i've planned it. I know that's a little archaic LOL

In truth, if I wanted GPS I would probably opt for a dedicated one over the Ipad. It seems a bit large to try and find a place to sit for viewing.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
For truckers, iPad/iPhone is a dream come true. No more maps to bring while traveling around the country, live status on road traffic or accidents, etc...

I remember that only a few years ago, it was a pain to stay connected with family and friends while on the road, get directions because they did not have an updated maps, etc...

GPS devices are great, but connected device like the iPad/iPhone is better since you can combine maps with live status/news from the Internet. Have a look at Waze, great social GPS apps that can be very helpful when lost.

My 2 cents

VicoPad addict!

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS devices are great, but connected device like the iPad/iPhone is better since you can combine maps with live status/news from the Internet

+1

I travel about 60,000 miles / year for work and I never get on the road without my iPad.

The Navigon app is probably the best GPS app/device I've ever used... it hasn't failed me yet.

Plus multi tasking with Sirius/XM and the ocassional email while sitting in traffic is always nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

DLCrouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also used the Navigon app. Once you get used to the interface and European 'flavor', it's pretty good. Maps are downloaded, so even if you can't get any 3G, you can still operate. What I don't like - lousy POI database compared to my Garmin unit and support for the app is almost non-existent.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Magellan GPS unit.. I no longer use it. I never leave home without my iPad, so since I always have it with me, I thought I'd try one of the GPS apps. It didn't take long for the Magellan to be relegated to the shelf..

The iPad does need more real estate. In my truck, I can pull out the cup holder on the dash and support the iPad there. It manages to stay in place and doesn't block my view. In my car, I brace it against the shifter on the console. Again, no problem with blocked view.

I use the GPS Drive HD program and it has voice directions, so even if I can't see the screen all the time, I still know where to go. I also use the iPod to stream a lot of internet radio. The GPS program has the ability to pause the audio stream when it is reading out directions, so I don't miss anything that I'm listening to from the internet.

I like the giant display and the ability to use Google or Bing satellite views rather than simple maps so you can see the buildings and other objects around you as you drive.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
jwt873 said:

I like the giant display and the ability to use Google or Bing satellite views rather than simple maps so you can see the buildings and other objects around you as you drive.

and with street view available, it makes thing a lot easier also ...

VicoPad addict!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and with street view available, it makes thing a lot easier also ...
YES ! I used street view just a few days ago to get a better view of where I was going... Street view isn't part of my 'GPS Drive HD' app, but it's nothing to minimize it and open the regular Maps app where street view is available.

Most reactions

Latest posts