What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy a 99$ HP Touchpad?

Azhrei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I didn't have an iPad2 already then yes, I would've grabbed an HP Touchpad. However, after having the iPad for 5 months now I can't imagine using anything else. It's like suddenly having a cell phone when all you had was a land line, or suddenly having an iPod when your mobile music device was a Walkman (or Discman :)).

I've thought about getting one even now as I'd be interested in hacking it. Mostly I'd want to be able to run MapTool on it (moderate - no external link!) and I can't do that on an iPad since Apple refuses to provide a Java port for the iPad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezra4no1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would and actually tried to get one, but they were sold out. My reason was 2 fold. 1st, for it's price, it would make an excellent browsing tablet on the net for my kids and wife and next I would put a few games on it so my kids could play on it. In either case it would free up my iPad from having my family members always wanting to use mine :)

buttrpecan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get one for the baby and put all his games and apps on there instead. Kills me that the baby is now using my ipad 1 ever since i got the ipad 2. Im afraid itll get destroyed altho it does come in handy for him on the go.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

nessva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the point of buying a device that won't ever be used for much. Though I understand the point raised in buying one for kids/misc family members I guess (not that I have any).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Tim but I understood you get a refund if you take it back... The future of HP even in computers is an issue as we already seeing 40% discount on laptops and desktops in Australia last week end by a national retailer this is around 20% below dealer net cost. I believe they shot them selves in the foot and worldwide users will think twice about buying HP products. My feeling is they should have stopped after announcing the demise about the tab and not go on to state they are considering getting out of the hardware consumer business. In respect to the Tab sell off, I suspect the fire sale was for inventory on hand not delivered and payed for hence why stock was low. It depends how best buy purchased the inventory. They may have agreed to take the older inventory and off load the new inventory back to HP then HP subsidized the firesale but that is just my opinion.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There were stories out today how HP is losing money with the sale of their tablets, since it costs about $306 to build them. This, along with their announcement that they may be getting out of the PC business, is damaging their brand. This is a sad endgame for a company that was once noted for the quality of their products, and which was once part of a tradition of California and American tech innovation.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I could find one, I would buy a couple for young nieces/nephew. I wouldn't want to spend more for a tablet that could be lost or stolen.

This is a sad day since I hoped HP would offer competition to Apple. I don't see Droid as elegant as WebOS.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The HP tablet was a bad device and made cheaply with plastic back. Why would I want to spend a dime on a device which will not be supported or updated. Save the money for iPad 3.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd buy one, it's only a matter of time before hackers get Android running on it. £100 for a decent full sized android tablet has got to be worth anyone's money.

I'm Apple and iPad through and through; but I'm not fanboish enough to not think that's a good deal!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me personally i would spend the $99 on apple tv, yes it is sad to see hp going down the way it is, after all competition is a good thing and in that sense this is not good

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dlo said:
How do you like it?!

Sent from my iPad 2 White 32GB WiFi using iPF

Well webOS is nice, best multitasking I've seen yet, and the speakers are AMAZING! But the app store for it sucks, barely anything worthwhile. It pisses me off that it has a front facing cam, but to use it you either need to be on a video chat or BUY the camera app :/ my use for it (so far) is mainly complimentary of the iPad (doing on it what the iPad can't, flash, PDF textbooks that are in jpeg2000 format, etc.) tho It might just be my video media device since the speakers are better and my iPad cant really hold much more on it.

Overall, I wouldn't have bought one outside this sale. It's too great of a bargain to pass up. The webOS is ok, nothing great to it besides the multitasking. The hardware is actually pretty great on it though. I will be porting android on it as soon as developers are finished with it. But for those who are wondering, WebOS isn't necessarily finished. The HP hardware department is shutting down, but they will still be working on software (I'm not saying specifically the continuation of webOS, but it's possible). Though I think The reason for the sale to be THIS LOW is to get the webOS out there to users to get accustomed to, despite the fact that a great number of them will be porting android onto it anyway. :p

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[clip]Though I think The reason for the sale to be THIS LOW is to get the webOS out there to users to get accustomed to, despite the fact that a great number of them will be porting android onto it anyway. :p

The reason the sale is this low is HP is trying desperately to get something back for their investment in this technology.

They shipped 270,000 units to Best Buy, who were able to sell 25,000. Best Buy said "Take them all back please" and they went into panic mode... All of their other customers took the same approach, and that means over 1M units being returned. No sale. No longer in the retail channel, which means no chance for revenue for HP at all...

How do you recover from this? You tell Best Buy they don't have to pay for the units that they have in the warehouse until after they sell them, and then they only have to pay $50 per unit...

Why do you do this? Because you have no chance to liquidate the inventory when it's sitting in your own warehouse...

This device was a total failure. Their stock price dropped 25% virtually overnight.

This is not a good thing for HP.

I would be very surprised if even another 25,000 units were sold at the giveaway price. Very few people are willing to even spend $100 on a dead product with the only chance of long term support being if someone hacks a version of Android to run on it.

-t

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. A friend of mine bought a $99 Android tablet in January (not HP, I think Cruz was the brand) and it already completely broke on her. Plus, even though I have an Android phone, I really dislike Android tablets. For a lot of reasons, but I really think iPads are superior to other tablets. I also prefer iOS to Android. Just bought my iPad today, and I'm never looking back from iOS. :biggrin:

jcccc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edited by moderator ~ watch your language! SP

Don't bother flaming me on this post either, I'm outta here

Why yes. Yes you will be should you come back and fail to read our rules and change your attitude:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions