What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would like to disable an iPad3 for a few hours

sjobs12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to disable my kid's iPad 3 for a few hours in evening and after 10 PM at night. Can you please tell me the steps to do it?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Turn it off (hold the power button down, then swipe to shut down). Now here is the tricky part. Walk away with the iPad and put it out of reach. A safe could be a good idea depending on the situation.

Alternatively, you could change the passcode so that your child cannot access the iPad, then set it back during usable hours.

As you might have guessed, there is no way to "disable" an iPad based on tine of day. Probably the passcode idea is the closest thing, but not automatic. Physically removing the device from your child is the only other option.

OP
S

sjobs12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am really surprised that this cannot be done in an iPad. This is a very basic requirement. Isn't there an app or something that I can download/pay for?

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't tried this as I have no need for it, but here's something from the app store:

Kidslox - Parental Controls by Kidslox Trading Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/FfYH2.i

There are more, just do a search for Parental Controls to see them.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Due to Apple's sand boxing of apps, there will be limitations on apps like these compared to parental control programs on a PC. Always read the description carefully, and also look at the reviews for some feedback from users.

Charlie Fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn it off (hold the power button down, then swipe to shut down). Now here is the tricky part. Walk away with the iPad and put it out of reach. A safe could be a good idea depending on the situation.

Alternatively, you could change the passcode so that your child cannot access the iPad, then set it back during usable hours.

As you might have guessed, there is no way to "disable" an iPad based on tine of day. Probably the passcode idea is the closest thing, but not automatic. Physically removing the device from your child is the only other option.
Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turns out we were wrong. There are management solutions that can do this. It looks like the vendors are taking advantage of the enterprise management features and using them for parental controls. That means a subscription service rather than buying an app; which still isn't possible.

Here is one vendor, the one I ran across: http://www.curbi.com

You should shop around for more options, but be sure to pick a reputable vendor. You're handing them the potential to mess up your child's iOS device; not unrecoverably so, but nothing you want to deal with if you can avoid it

Most reactions

Latest posts