What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would it be bad to leave my iPad 2 on and plugged in overnight?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are apps like Nightstand clocks and ambient scenery that would be nice to leave on all night. Clearly it would drain my battery quickly, so I suppose I'd need to leave it plugged in all night too.

Would this be bad for the iPad?

Last edited:

Vaden15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple made the chargers in such a way that it shuts down when the Apple device is fully charged. That way there's no danger of overcharging your product.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. The ipad will shut itself down or it will just stop charging?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are protections in the battery that will prevent overcharging. Once the battery is "full," it will no longer charge, even if it's still connected to power.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
although i knew this but i dont understand the concept of this...If it stops charging after fulll charge, should'nt the battery then go down? Or has it got some recognizer software that it remembers taht after 5 or 10 % charge it starts charging again? [Hope this was understandable :p]

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So glad this was asked. It was a question I didn't know I had. Now it has been answered. Good to know.

Chuamt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man....these new apple users. It will maintain n won't overcharge. If all fails, forget night stand n use back your typical battery operated alarm clocks. Lol

Rosellainoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read that to prolong battery use it should be discharged completely once a month.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
although i knew this but i dont understand the concept of this...If it stops charging after fulll charge, should'nt the battery then go down? Or has it got some recognizer software that it remembers taht after 5 or 10 % charge it starts charging again? [Hope this was understandable :p]

You've got it in one!

After the battery is "full," if it stays connected to a power source, it will do a trickle charge to keep at 100%; kind of like cycling on and off. I don't know how it works (when it re-starts charging or if it's at a certain percentage). That's way above my degree/understanding! :)

I do know that (1) the iPad can be left plugged in after it's been fully charged (say, overnight), (2) it won't hurt the battery to do this, and (3) as jsh1120 pointed out, it's a good thing to fully discharge the iPad battery once a month or so to re-calibrate the battery meter/monitor (so it'll stay accurate).

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts