Would iPad replace my Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by jboland17, Nov 30, 2010.

1. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I sold my Kindle DX after getting the iPad and read all of my books on it. I don't do any reading while in direct sunlight, so that was not an issue for me. I loved the Kindle, my wife is on her third one and she won't give it up without a significant fight. Amazon makes a great device.

There are two reasons Kindle Magazine and Newspaper subscriptions aren't available on non-Kindle devices.

• Technical issues like doing Push of content to the iPad. This is being worked on.
    • Apple (you guessed this right?) wants a piece of every subscription on the iPad. This is the same reason that other Magazines have not yet created Apps with paid subscriptions.

The New York Times has gotten around the issue by providing a free App with free subscriptions. They are getting the revenue through ads for now.

#11 wrecklass, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. tdmsu

tdmsu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My ipad has replaced my kindle2. I was able to move all the books from the kindle to the app on my ipad. Amazon has announced that it will allow magazines and newspapers on the kindle app, but, as said earlier, you may be happier reading them from a dedicated app, or from the web.

3. Stefx

Stefx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sony eBook reader (505) and I haven't used it at all since I got the iPad. The last 15-20 books I've read were read on the iPad.

4. dave421

dave421
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It replaced my Kindle 3. I don't have an issue with LCD induced eye-strain and read outside rarely so it was a no-brainer for me to sell the K3. No point in carrying 2 devices around when one can do everything.

The real answer is that it varies for each person. If you are one of the people that does have an issue with eye-strain or you read outside in the park everyday, you may find that the iPad is not a great e-reader in your situation.

5. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I use the Kindle and Nook apps and my books sync with my Touch and I know the Kindle syncs with thr Ipad app. i read 4 newspapers on the Ipad and have 2 magqzine subscriptions through Zinio app. I have looked at the Kindle and the Nook but haven't had any desire to read on another device. I don't want to run this into the ground since I've mentioned it in other threads but weight is no issue since I use a very light weight stand called Propup wich sits in my lap and allows me to read handsfree. In bed too.

Here in NC I don't ever read in direct sunlight but took it to the pool or porch all summer and used it.

6. iPadster

iPadster
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have not used my nook since I bought my iPad in June. Like many others I do most of my reading in bed at night so direct sunlight was never an issue. E ink is great, but in a dimly lit room or at night I always had to use my m-edge light so I prefer the iPads LCD screen over E ink and external light source.

7. Squirrel71

Squirrel71
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For me, my iPad doesn't replace my Kindle. The backlighting kills my eyes and I read a lot.

I love them both, just for different things.

8. Digikid

Digikid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The Kindle is slow and more clunky than the iPad....HOWEVER the Kindle can be read outside and that is where it blows the iPad right into orbit.

9. Dragoro

Dragoro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ive never found my kindle slow nor clunky.

10. emm

emm
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    After being so happy with the Kindle for many months, I barely touch it now that I have an iPad. I have all the Amazon books I order sent to the iPad now and enjoy reading them there much more. The print is clearer, I can read in double-page format, adjust the brightness, and the cover, pictures, and highlighting are in color. If you want an amazing magazine experience, check out Esquire on the iPad. I'm sorry to say that the Kindle just doesn't cut it anymore. The iPad is the way of the future for reading e-books in my view.