Would iPad replace my Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by jboland17, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jboland17

jboland17
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Last year I bought the Kindle and have my collection of books and newspapers on it now. If I were to buy an iPad, would that make my Kindle obsolete? I see that the iPad has a Kindle app, so would I be able to read all my books and papers using that app?

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The iPad does everything a Kindle does and more. The Kindle is basically a one shot device, but useful within what it does. The iPad is a mobile media device which can do almost all social media. Within reason, it will do all media, radio, TV, movies, magazines, books, games, etc.

3. jboland17

jboland17
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If I loaded the app, would it access the books and newspapers that are currently on the Kindle?

4. Dragoro

Dragoro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a kindle as well. I dont know if Id say that the ipad would replace the kindle, more of a complimentary thing. Id take my kindle to the beach or pool side, thats something i wouldnt dream of doing with an ipad. Easier to read for long periods of time with the kindle as well since its not back lit. The app will load any books youve bought for the kindle, it will not do newspaper or magazines though.

5. jboland17

jboland17
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well that's good to know. I have a subscription to a few newspapers on the Kindle. Do they make apps for newspapers? Are they sold daily or is it just a one-time buy?

6. Dragoro

Dragoro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure about that, Im stuck waiting till christmas before ill be able to touch my ipad. I only know bout the kindle app stuff cause I use it on my droid phone.

7. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've tried to purchase magazines for the iPad version of the Kindle Reader, and was told by the Kindle store that they were not supported.

Not sure what would happen with magazines already in your archive.

8. chisaki

chisaki
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No way an iPad would replace a Kindle. The Kindle weighs 8.5 ounces, the iPad weighs over 1.5 pounds. The Kindle can be read in direct sunlight, the iPad can't.

For reading books, I use a Kindle. For watching movies or playing audio books, I use the iPad.

9. fn0807

fn0807
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Many newspapers you subscribe to have apps on their web sites for your iPad. We read the daily newspaper at home, but it is always available on line. Also I have subscriptions to many magazines through Zinio. I really enjoy the pictures in color. I have been using the iPad for all my reading, emails, internet, and music for the past two months. On our last three trips, I took the iPad only, leaving the laptop at home. I gave my Kindle to my daughter. She loves it, but has no idea how much better I enjoy my iPad.

#9 fn0807, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  10. Pocobear

Pocobear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The answer about the newspapers and magazines for now is NO. However, I read somewhere that Amazon was going to allow these items, before the first of the year. I certainly hope so. LOL