What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would iPad replace my Kindle?

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last year I bought the Kindle and have my collection of books and newspapers on it now. If I were to buy an iPad, would that make my Kindle obsolete? I see that the iPad has a Kindle app, so would I be able to read all my books and papers using that app?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does everything a Kindle does and more. The Kindle is basically a one shot device, but useful within what it does. The iPad is a mobile media device which can do almost all social media. Within reason, it will do all media, radio, TV, movies, magazines, books, games, etc.

OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I loaded the app, would it access the books and newspapers that are currently on the Kindle?

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a kindle as well. I dont know if Id say that the ipad would replace the kindle, more of a complimentary thing. Id take my kindle to the beach or pool side, thats something i wouldnt dream of doing with an ipad. Easier to read for long periods of time with the kindle as well since its not back lit. The app will load any books youve bought for the kindle, it will not do newspaper or magazines though.

OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's good to know. I have a subscription to a few newspapers on the Kindle. Do they make apps for newspapers? Are they sold daily or is it just a one-time buy?

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not sure about that, Im stuck waiting till christmas before ill be able to touch my ipad. I only know bout the kindle app stuff cause I use it on my droid phone.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried to purchase magazines for the iPad version of the Kindle Reader, and was told by the Kindle store that they were not supported.

Not sure what would happen with magazines already in your archive.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way an iPad would replace a Kindle. The Kindle weighs 8.5 ounces, the iPad weighs over 1.5 pounds. The Kindle can be read in direct sunlight, the iPad can't.

For reading books, I use a Kindle. For watching movies or playing audio books, I use the iPad.

fn0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many newspapers you subscribe to have apps on their web sites for your iPad. We read the daily newspaper at home, but it is always available on line. Also I have subscriptions to many magazines through Zinio. I really enjoy the pictures in color. I have been using the iPad for all my reading, emails, internet, and music for the past two months. On our last three trips, I took the iPad only, leaving the laptop at home. I gave my Kindle to my daughter. She loves it, but has no idea how much better I enjoy my iPad.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The answer about the newspapers and magazines for now is NO. However, I read somewhere that Amazon was going to allow these items, before the first of the year. I certainly hope so. LOL

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my Kindle DX after getting the iPad and read all of my books on it. I don't do any reading while in direct sunlight, so that was not an issue for me. I loved the Kindle, my wife is on her third one and she won't give it up without a significant fight. Amazon makes a great device.

There are two reasons Kindle Magazine and Newspaper subscriptions aren't available on non-Kindle devices.

• Technical issues like doing Push of content to the iPad. This is being worked on.
  • Apple (you guessed this right?) wants a piece of every subscription on the iPad. This is the same reason that other Magazines have not yet created Apps with paid subscriptions.

The New York Times has gotten around the issue by providing a free App with free subscriptions. They are getting the revenue through ads for now.

Last edited:

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad has replaced my kindle2. I was able to move all the books from the kindle to the app on my ipad. Amazon has announced that it will allow magazines and newspapers on the kindle app, but, as said earlier, you may be happier reading them from a dedicated app, or from the web.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sony eBook reader (505) and I haven't used it at all since I got the iPad. The last 15-20 books I've read were read on the iPad.

dave421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It replaced my Kindle 3. I don't have an issue with LCD induced eye-strain and read outside rarely so it was a no-brainer for me to sell the K3. No point in carrying 2 devices around when one can do everything.

The real answer is that it varies for each person. If you are one of the people that does have an issue with eye-strain or you read outside in the park everyday, you may find that the iPad is not a great e-reader in your situation.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the Kindle and Nook apps and my books sync with my Touch and I know the Kindle syncs with thr Ipad app. i read 4 newspapers on the Ipad and have 2 magqzine subscriptions through Zinio app. I have looked at the Kindle and the Nook but haven't had any desire to read on another device. I don't want to run this into the ground since I've mentioned it in other threads but weight is no issue since I use a very light weight stand called Propup wich sits in my lap and allows me to read handsfree. In bed too.

Here in NC I don't ever read in direct sunlight but took it to the pool or porch all summer and used it.

Most reactions

Latest posts