What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOTG: MBA 11 vs iPad 3 w/ Logitech Ultra-thin Keyboard Cover

Which is better for WOTG: MBA 11 or iPad 3 w/ Logitech UT KB Cover

• MacBook Air (11 or 13)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • iPad 3 w/ Logitech UltraThin Keyboard Cover

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just trying to show off some products I like. :)

I am thinking of looking at that keyboard you have for an upcoming 8 week Research Course I am taking. Seems like you like as well as others here. The pics are beautiful and the Icarbon skins make it look real classy!

Emerald Eric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
wow...that's not at all my experience. It goes in quite easily. My fact, I can get my iPad inside my Garrison case inside this with ease too. I love this Hard Candy just because I can get the iPad in there without having to take stuff off. Lots of protection. I didn't remove anything. Check those pics. All of it is there. My only thought is that they changed the design. I bought mine when the iPad 2 was out...and I sold that and am using it with my iPad 3. I'm sorry you are having fit issues. I wonder if you wrote them may be they would tell you what is going on here.

I appreciate your concern - honestly though I think I will just deal with it. Its not bad, just a little snug when zipping it up. I actually bought the one that is for the I-Pad / I-Pad 2 so it should be the same. Maybe its just not broken in yet?

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has now been a month an a half since I ordered the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover and Logitech still has yet to ship it. When I wrote them last month they said "We have been advised that Canada pre-orders will not be released till May 28th, we really do apologized for the long wait and appreciate your patience."

I called support today and asked about my order. The woman told me they have not released the product to Canada yet. I asked when. She said she had no idea. So I asked what I could do about it and was told she couldn't help me so I hung up.

I've written to the company expressing my displeasure with their business practices and indicating that I have been a customer and supporter of Logitech products since I bought my first three button boxy mouse in 1984. I own three Logitech keyboards and two MX Revolution mice but that my opinion of the company has changed because of this customer experience. I don't think I could recommend any of their products when this is the kind of customer support they provide. Obviously the company has grown too big and now occupies the same ratified atmosphere shared with Microsoft and (omg) IBM.

Not pleased at all. :(

I just cancelled the order.

Last edited:

IH8law

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exact same setuo except that I went with the White iCarbon skin with a "red" apple logo. So much easier to hold.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well this is going to be a long post. Many of you may remember when I posted about the new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover and that I had pre-ordered it as I felt it was going to be some very kewl technology! As I have mentioned on this thread, Logitech has been less than human in their customer service about my order. After numerous attempts to find out when the product might be delivered, I finally cancelled the order. It was clear they had no idea when it might ship.

Within minutes of me posting that I had cancelled the order, our AQ sent me a private message offering to order it for me. Isn't the internet a wonderful place? After a few PayPal exchanges, in no time at all, I received my keyboard. I must say AQ went out of his way to help me and it was a truly generous act which proves that human beings find ways to be human with each other regardless of governments, corporations or other bureaucracies.

It was due to arrive by UPS today and I happened to be at my local Staples store when I spied not one, but TEN of the keyboard covers for sale. Amazing. Logitech couldn't tell me when the product might be released to a direct Canadian customer, but Staples had no trouble. I bet they have a few of them at WalMart too. Logitech could not give a flying rat's fart about the individual consumer. There is no way to actually contact them. Their online forums are a joke and the customer service phone line is staffed with people who don't know anything and have no motivation to even find out the answer when they don't know. "I'm sorry sir there is no way I can know that information. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

So much for LogiCrap Inc.

The product itself is pretty damned kewl. (At least the folks down in R&D have some abilities). It sets up quickly, locks together with the magnet hinge very well and when in the stand, it holds very securely. The keyboard is small (what would you expect?) but after just a few minutes of writing a thank you letter to AQ, it was very comfortable and easy to type.

I immediately installed the iCarbons skins on the keyboard and my iPad. I had ordered these weeks after I had ordered the keyboard, and they arrived at least two weeks before I got this one. I purchased a skin for my iPhone4 as well. I like the look and feel of the unit when it is closed up. It feels like a very tiny laptop and the whole thing slide easily into my Targus leather folio.

Here are some photos I took just a few minutes ago:

8de36386.jpg

60ad528d.jpg

13499b5f.jpg

1ed4a485.jpg

7c39f4a3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Doug,
Nice pics. What are you thoughts on the protection provided by the skins to your iPhone 4? I would like of like that, I'm I might want to sell my 4S come fall so I'm feeling I need a big more protection. I also think I'm more likely to drop my phone than my iPad. Thanks.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Hey Doug,
Nice pics. What are you thoughts on the protection provided by the skins to your iPhone 4? I would like of like that, I'm I might want to sell my 4S come fall so I'm feeling I need a big more protection. I also think I'm more likely to drop my phone than my iPad. Thanks.

AQ:

The iCarbons skin for the iPhone is very nice. It feels great in the hand, but it offers NO protection from dropping or hard knocks. If you are prone to dropping your phone (hey I made a funnee!) you should have a case that protects the edges.

I too, am looking to unload my phone come Fall. What, pray tell, are you thinking might be coming in the Fall? Hmm? :)

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ:

The iCarbons skin for the iPhone is very nice. It feels great in the hand, but it offers NO protection from dropping or hard knocks. If you are prone to dropping your phone (hey I made a funnee!) you should have a case that protects the edges.

I too, am looking to unload my phone come Fall. What, pray tell, are you thinking might be coming in the Fall? Hmm? :)

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

*If* I move, it will only be to get the iPhone 5. I got a 4S back in Feb. It is probably unlikely, but it depends on what the additions are. Also, after iOS 6 comes out, most of my need to update will go away...I might explore jailbraking. I really just want to protect my phone so I can have options, since the resale value tends to be fairly high on an iPhone.

javelina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just picked the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard at our local Costco for $80.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
javelina said:
Just picked the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard at our local Costco for $80.

Good price!!!!!

javelina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using the UltraThin keyboard for several days now. Didn't think I would like it as much as I do. Much better than another keyboard case I bought for $30. Although it was cheap, that keyboard was mushy and I was always double typing characters. It was essentialy useless.

Reaction score
Depends on what you use them for...

I LOVE my Macbook Air 11". I also love my ipad. Some people think the MBP 11 is too small to do actual work on but I don't have a problem with that (I'm a designer). The size and weight difference between that and the 13 really mattered to me as a road warrior. I can always hook it up to the TV or to my iPad as a second monitor, with AirSharing. I would probably get a MBP 15 if I needed more screen size and power.

TRAVEL COMPARISON (ipad 3 vs. MB Air 11)

My Macbook Air 11" is about the same weight as my iPad 3 with a keyboard, so that's a tie. The power cord of the ipad is less bulky so 1 point for iPad.

UPDATE: Apple just announced the new iPad Mini. I could see getting that, along with a fold-out or roll-up keyboard, if I really wanted to go ultraportable.

iPads are great because you can carry it standalone, it has the touchscreen, it's less intrusive if you're talking to people or collaborating. It's not so great if you want to do real work. If you're just writing, emailing and casual web browsing, iPad is fine. But I've had to buy apps to do "just a little more" with the iPad, things I could easily do on my MBAir (PDF, FTP etc). And I can't roundtrip my Illustrator flowcharts or Photoshop web designs on iPad at all.

There are many things the iPad can't do. That's because it was not designed as a "real" computer. It's a mobile device.

Another thing to consider is access - where accessing secure sites and apps on your main computer is second nature, it can be a pain on iPad. I use 1Password on both devices to make life on the road much easier.

Lots of neat keyboard cases out there. There are some cool kickstarter projects - one that offers a leather case to carry both ipad and the apple keyboard (touchtype, not currently taking new orders) and another that basically turns your ipad into a laptop (crux skunk - cool features, available but a bit pricey). I prefer using the Apple wireless keyboard because I don't have to learn idiosyncracies of other keyboards, and then get tripped up when I switch back and forth between devices.

I am still searching for the ideal case to marry the two. Meanwhile I use the keyboard socket from SFBags.

keyily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clear pictures, i like special case,it looks so cute for me :)

Most reactions