What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working with MS Excel spreadsheets with a iPad

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all!

What is a good app that will allow me to work with Excel spread sheets on a iPad?

Thank you!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, you didn't say if you had to have no wifi....if you have good wifi, then Onlive Desktop is the best option. It gives you a virtual Windows desktop on your iPad and the ability to run Word, Excel and Powerpoint. There is a free verson, a 5$/mo version, and perhaps yet another option. It is free to check out. Helps if you have dropbox, too. That way, you can work on the same files on PC/MAC and iPad.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am an Excel user for my work. A vast majority of my work is done on my PC. However, I do send it to my iPad, when I want to see a 'finished' spreadsheet. I use my iPad to check on any errors. I also use the iPad to see how good it works for the client. For example, I create spreadsheets for clients to enter data on specific items. I give them a summary spreadsheet and then I collect all of these spreadsheets from various responders and integrate them into one report spreadsheet. My team has deployed iPads for this purpose. We use Numbers on the iPad. That has worked the best for us as it is pretty much equal to Excel.

Some caveats: 1) Use the same font and font size for both versions (Excel & Numbers) 2) Do not create formulas that require a table of information to calculate a result for the Numbers version. 3) Use simple mathematical equations for column, row or Totals in specific cells, i.e. plus, minus, no multiplications, divisions, or time conversions or data conversions.

Microsoft has not ported its Excel application to the iPad's OS so we have had to resort to alternatives and work arounds. But our data gathering is faster, more efficient, and more accurate. I suppose our work would be even better integrated if we used Apple technology as our computer source. But that would be pretty scandalous to show up at a company plant bearing Apple products and not a PC laptop. Using an iPad took a lot of management review and approval.

Most reactions

Latest posts