What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working With iWorks Beta

freesew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, the experience of the iWork beta is one of the most frustrating I've had in 30 years of computer use. I've got an excel file on my Windows PC. I'd like to see if Numbers will successfully import, but there is no obvious way to open a file from the application. I don't necessarily expect all of the formulas to work, but no way to open a native file is silly.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So far, the experience of the iWork beta is one of the most frustrating I've had in 30 years of computer use. I've got an excel file on my Windows PC. I'd like to see if Numbers will successfully import, but there is no obvious way to open a file from the application. I don't necessarily expect all of the formulas to work, but no way to open a native file is silly.

I, too, am using the iWorks beta on my Windows PC. And yes, there is not much documentation. Well, none, really. :)

To upload a file, click on the Settings (gear-like) icon in the upper right of your PC's screen. The second option available is "Upload Spreadsheet." Clicking that line opens up Windows Explorer so you can find/import an Excel spreadsheet. This is the same process for importing a Word document to Pages and a PowerPoint presentation into Keynote.

They do import and, if you have iCloud turned on in the Settings tab on the iPad - you can view them on the iPad. Oh, and you're expectations are correct - they don't import perfectly. But - you'll see....

Marilyn

P.S. I've gone ahead and moved this issue of yours to it's own stand-alone thread. The one you posted in is so old and really, doesn't go with this brand new beta. So, I hope you don't mind. Maybe others will find it and we can give each other pointers on how to use this thing. I like the idea - just the implementation is difficult. :)

rickw717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using iWorks beta since I was sent the link. Took a couple days to get it right, no documentation to speak of but, I use it all the time now. You can up load things with no problem. I use Numbers mostly...works like a charm.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all--I am also working with iWorks. I didn't have a problem dragging a Word document into the iWorks Pages--but now I am having difficulty trying to export it back to a word document so I can send it back to my work email.

Any advice will be very helpful. I have tried saving it to my Mac and each time I try to export it to Word, it says an "error" as occurred.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all--I am also working with iWorks. I didn't have a problem dragging a Word document into the iWorks Pages--but now I am having difficulty trying to export it back to a word document so I can send it back to my work email.

Any advice will be very helpful. I have tried saving it to my Mac and each time I try to export it to Word, it says an "error" as occurred.

Have you tried doing it on the iPad? I know that, when you go to open the file in another app, you can elect to save the file as a Word document. Then, with it made a Word document, you can mail it to your Mac?

I say all this because (1) I know the app on the iPad will do this and (2) I'm not near my PC at the moment to see how to make the document a Word file. I'll take a look tomorrow, though...

But - maybe this'll get you started?

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried doing it on the iPad? I know that, when you go to open the file in another app, you can elect to save the file as a Word document. Then, with it made a Word document, you can mail it to your Mac?

I say all this because (1) I know the app on the iPad will do this and (2) I'm not near my PC at the moment to see how to make the document a Word file. I'll take a look tomorrow, though...

But - maybe this'll get you started?

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn--yes, that's what I ended up doing at the end. I wanted to try to keep it on my Mac so I can send it through security email to my work as an attachment. Plus, I didn't have my iPad near at the time. Oh well!

Interesting---I had no idea that you could drag a Word doc into your iWorks and it automatically converts to Pages! I'm not sure if that is a new feature, but never knew to do it before!

Again thanks for your help! :)

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts