What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Word" program

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. Your mini is smaller than iPad 2, 3 or 4. You'll have to look for a case for iPad mini with Retina, or iPad mini 2nd generation.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. Your mini is smaller than iPad 2, 3 or 4. You'll have to look for a case for iPad mini with Retina, or iPad mini 2nd generation.

Ok thanks again JA, I have sorted that out, and now copied and printed everything as I want to get back to Dave, Kevin, Giridman, and yourself after I have tried the Word program. I will need a little time as I am on desktop most of the time.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi JA, am back again. This using an Apple is a whole new learning curve!!! I downloaded a special manual for a new keyboard, and yes, its showing on Safari - I believe it is a pdf doc. How on earth do I save it so I wont lose it? (please)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you tap on the PDF, an open in button will appear at the upper right. Tap on it and you will see a list of all apps you can save the PDF to. Tap on the one you want, I use iBooks, and it will be saved for offline reading.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uhmmm I did just tap on it and was given choice of copy, paste etc??? In the top right hand corner, I only have a crescent moon, the blue tooth symbol, and how much the iPad had charged (99%). So what am I doing wrong?

Should I too, download iBooks? I already have downloaded Evernote & Pages, but still learning how to use them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When the document is displayed in Safari there should be some Open In options at the top right. If you don't see them tap in the center of the screen. They tend to disappear in order to give you the best possible view of the document.

{When I say the document is displayed, I mean it is open and you can read it}

The Open In options create a copy of the document a compatible app.

So, you'll need another app on the iPad that can store and read the PDF file. iBooks works well if all you want is to read it. If you want to do more an app like PDF Expert will let you annotate and provides a files system for storing the documents; as well as direct access to DropBox and a few other online file storage services.

GoodRead is also handy, though I prefer PDF Expert for most documents.

Adobe Reader is free, and offers some good tools as well.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could be wrong, and it may be me, but I have found that not all docs opened in Safari will give me the option to "Open In". Some blogs, for example, have good embroidery info but I can't touch them and get the option to "Open In". In that case, I use the app I purchased, Web to PDF. Does the trick very nicely. Creates a PDF of the web page.

You can delete pages that are before or go beyond the info you want from that page and don't want, ie ads and comments that have been posted at the bottom of the web page, you can name the PDF created whatever you want. Afterwards, you can email it, open it in other app (iBooks, GoodReader, Pages, etc), whatever you need to do.

Check the App Store to get info on it. Search of "WEB to PDF". Use this a lot.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi JA, am back again. This using an Apple is a whole new learning curve!!! I downloaded a special manual for a new keyboard, and yes, its showing on Safari - I believe it is a pdf doc. How on earth do I save it so I wont lose it? (please)

Download iBooks (free) and save it there.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
]Download iBooks (free) and save it there.

I'll do that thanks Kevin, but hey guess what, I managed to save the PDF file in Evernote!
So much to learn! But I do appreciate everyone's help :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I could be wrong, and it may be me, but I have found that not all docs opened in Safari will give me the option to "Open In". Some blogs, for example, have good embroidery info but I can't touch them and get the option to "Open In". In that case, I use the app I purchased, Web to PDF. Does the trick very nicely. Creates a PDF of the web page.

You can delete pages that are before or go beyond the info you want from that page and don't want, ie ads and comments that have been posted at the bottom of the web page, you can name the PDF created whatever you want. Afterwards, you can email it, open it in other app (iBooks, GoodReader, Pages, etc), whatever you need to do.

Check the App Store to get info on it. Search of "WEB to PDF". Use this a lot.

The key to Open In, in almost all cases, is that you must have a compatible app. You won't get the Open In option unless you have at least one app that is compatible with the file type.

There are a couple of options for sites that you can't use Open In with. One, if everything you need is showing on the iPad's screen, you can do a screenshot: Press the Home and Power button at the same time. The image will be saved in your camera roll.

Another option is to tap-hold in a bit of text until you get you get the selection box, then use the blue dots to expand the selection to the content you need. Then copy and paste into another app. {Selecting the exact content you want can be a bit tricky sometimes|

A good app to use for this is PDF Converter. PDF Converter will give you the option to take anything in the clipboard (where copy info goes) and turn it into a PDF. It does a pretty good job most of the time. Once converted you can use Open In to send the PDF to another app like iBooks.

Evernote will also do a fair job of pasting web content into a note; though you'll have to paste it manually.

There is even a utility called EverClip 2 that will automatically save anything you copy, in the background. When you are done copying you open the Everclip app, review, and send the notes to Evernote.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll do that thanks Kevin, but hey guess what, I managed to save the PDF file in Evernote!
So much to learn! But I do appreciate everyone's help :)

Evernote is a pretty good place to save PDF files. Not my primary one, but it works. If you do a lot of pasting from websites {and other apps} to Evernote, you may want to look at the EverClip 2 app that I mentioned in my earlier post.

Not long ago I made a list of all my purchased apps that were iOS 5.x compatible. EverClip 2 made this much easier than it could have been.

Most reactions