What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Word" program

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you type letters on a mini- ipad if there is no "Word Program" - just in "Notes" or can a program be downloaded

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi again, Judy!:)

If you need something like Word, there are several apps that work with your iPad. Pages is Apple's own equivalent text editing app, there are also the Microsoft Office apps recently. I also know CloudOn, which connects to online storage such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive... There are a few more, free and paid apps. When you enter "word document" in the App Store search feature, you'll get many results.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I selected a free Microsoft Word program - it is apparently downloaded, but I cant find it :(

Did you download it from the AppStore? If so, scroll through your iPad pages and look for the icon. It may have gotten downloaded to a different page than you'd expect.

If you tried to download the program from the web, I'm sorry, but that's not how an iPad works. You can't download programs from the web. The only place you can get software ("apps") is from the AppStore.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do you type letters on a mini- ipad if there is no "Word Program" - just in "Notes" or can a program be downloaded

Hello - you've already received some excellent advice but let us know your needs, i.e. do you want word processing simply to compose some short notes occasionally or for professional purposes (and if so do you need integration w/ a DT computer - and if true, a PC or an Apple)?

As already stated, word processing or office suites can be obtained from the Apple App store (use the app on you iPad - enter 'word', 'word processing', 'office suite', or 'microsoft office' - any of these search words will bring up plenty of hits). Many of these apps are paid (but most are inexpensive) - the suites will typically include word processor, spreadsheet, and graphics programs.

For myself, I have Apple's suite, i.e. Pages, Numbers, & Keynote (these are Word, Excel, & PowerPoint equivalents) and are each a paid app. Microsoft has developed there Office offerings for the iPad - these are 'free' downloads; however, as such, files can only be viewed - a subscription to their Office 365 online service (about $100, I believe) is needed for 'full function'. There are certainly others as the search in the App store will show.

Now, if you just need to make occasional notes, then there are other apps that might serve your needs (again search the store) - but just to suggest one - take a look @ Evernote. Good luck - Dave :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have bought your iPad recently you may qualify for Apple's offer. Pages, Numbers and Keynote are all free to qualifying owners.

Once you have the iOS version, it also becomes available free of charge on any older devices you own.

The OS X versions also have a similar offer. Check out the Mac App Store for details.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Kevin and Giradman - I had already attempted to download a word program before I saw your messages :( I wouldn't have a clue if I am entitled to Apple's offer - I've only had the ipad (mini) about 5 weeks.

I appear to have a document simply called Word. I accepted the free version (I think) - although it does say "read-only - to create and edit, activate with an eligible Office 365 subscription". I guess I just right click the icon to delete. I'll see if I can find out where Evernote.

I wouldn't be using it much, mainly when I am on holiday - if needed.

Um that was a bit of a joke about right clicking!! So how do I get rid of that progrram?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kevin and Giradman - I had already attempted to download a word program before I saw your messages :( I wouldn't have a clue if I am entitled to Apple's offer - I've only had the ipad (mini) about 5 weeks.

I appear to have a document simply called Word. I accepted the free version (I think) - although it does say "read-only - to create and edit, activate with an eligible Office 365 subscription". I guess I just right click the icon to delete. I'll see if I can find out where Evernote.

I wouldn't be using it much, mainly when I am on holiday - if needed.

Um that was a bit of a joke about right clicking!! So how do I get rid of that progrram?

Hello again - now I'm not clear what you mean about 'a document simply called Word' - i.e. is this an icon on one of your home screens and if you press it does a program open like the other app icons? If so, then simply press on the icon until all 'jiggle' then hit the 'x' to delete the program - press the home button to stop the jiggling - if this is not the issue, then post a clearer explanation.

Also, you need to still define your needs better - from reading your comments, this is not a professional necessity - 'mainly when I am on holiday' is stated above - what does that mean? Do you just want to take some occasional notes? If so, the Notes app may be sufficient but please look @ my link to Evernote - good luck - Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave thanks for being understanding - I had never used Apple before, tho I have been using M-soft for years. I was able to follow your instructions about wiggling, and I deleted the program. Yes, it was truly called "Word".

No, it's not a professional necessity that I need a Word program. I would use my desktop or notebook at home. And yes, I could just use notepad, but I just wanted a free uncomplicated Word program.

I have now downloaded Evernote, and still getting to learn about it - am impressed with some of the things it does, so thank you!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Judy (assume from your signature?) - I would suggest first getting to know Notes and then really look into Evernote - may just serve your needs relative to your comments; if you need a more 'real' word processing program, then add Pages to your home screen apps (an inexpensive purchase). Good luck and looking forward to your comments after learning and using these programs. Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add, if typing on the on-screen keyboard is not your thing, you can add the Apple BlueTooth keyboard for about $70.

https://www.apple.com/ca/keyboard/

There are other keyboards available from other manufacturers too.
Just what I was looking for Kevin - I saw a keyboard advertised thus
Aluminium Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad
for iPads 2, 3 and 4!
and I was not sure what model my mini iPad was. I came here to see if I had mentioned the model when I first messaged. Uhmmmmm - how do I find out what model my mini iPad is?

Most reactions

Latest posts