What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word Processor App that will sync with Google drive?

Lessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for an app that will allow me to work on docs from Google drive while on the move, that does the following:

- I have an iPad 1, so it needs to run on ios 5.1.1
- It must allow me to work offline and then sync (if I have an internet connection I'll just use google drive directly)
- It can be really simple, all I need is to be able to type, I don't need any fancy formatting stuff
- I don't mind paying for it as long as it will do what I need

I have tried Good Docs and Office Note and found both too buggy, they took several attempts to sync and have randomly lost files more than once.

Can anyone suggest something that would do this for me?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last I checked the Google Drive app allowed editing Google Docs right in the app. It's limited, but you said that was ok.

Is there a reason that isn't working for you?

OP
L

Lessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was my first thought, but it requires ios 6.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then the main problem is the ability to edit native Google Doc files. I know of text editors that can store and retrieve documents with Google Drive, but none of them edit in the native Google Doc format.

I don't know if any of the ones I own will work with 5.1.1 either. Been a while since I needed them to.

Good luck. I hope you find an answer.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Quickoffice works with iOS5, and is the preferred app for editing Google Drive documents. It's made by Google, after all.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
L

Lessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
QuickOffice only allows you to view, not edit, and tells you to download the Google Drive app (which I can't) if you want to edit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
QuickOffice was originally an MS Office compatible app. Google bought it about a year ago(?), but apparently has not made it compatible with the Google Doc format yet.

Last edited:

Saad Ahmed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i know many word processing apps like
document writer
Office ToGo
Document Maker
myOffice
Documnets- Word Processing app

OP
L

Lessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office ToGo I bought and discovered that it will allow me to download and sometime view, but it won't allow me to edit.
MyOffice and Document maker share the exactly same blurb and similar icons to Office ToGo so I am pretty sure they are from the same people even if they claim to be different publishers, and I have no intention of wasting any more money there.
Document allowed download but no view or edit (which seems a little pointless to me).
Given that several apps claim to work but then give me a blank page, I am beginning to suspect that there has been a change to Google drive recently that broke them.

I think it is looking like what I want just isn't available. It just struck me as odd, as I thought this would be kind of a no brainer. I can't imagine I am the only person who has ever wanted to be able to work on a document offline then sync back up with google drive.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The old Google Docs app would probably do the job, but it's been pulled from the App Store. The only way of getting it would be if you'd owned it before, in which case it might still show up under the Purchased tab of the App Store.

{I'm assuming that offline editing is a requirement, or you could probably get by accessing the mobile site in Safari}

Barring any other, so far undiscovered apps, I see two options. Upgrade your hardware, or use a different editor/format for your documents. You can still use Google Drive itself to sync documents. Many text editing and word processing apps support it.

In the case of hardware, even an iPad 2 would give you access to a newer iOS and the Google Drive app. There should be some fairly cheap ones available on eBay, Craigslist, and other sites. I don't really recommend this as I suspect it is only delaying your problem by a year, at most. I newer model is indicated if you can afford it.

Depending on how much you need to stay in the Google Doc format and the Google ecosystem, you might even want to consider going with an Android tablet, or a Chromebook.

There are a great many text editor available that will sync to Google Drive, both for the iPad and other platforms. You can even use the version control and sharing features; though obviously not the built in editor and revision features. I have blogger friends who swear that you should only use text apps use plain text, markup language, and maybe some RTF for document creation and revision. They only take their stuff to an actually word processor when it comes time to print, or perhaps create a PDF. Neither of which is a common task for online writing.

Unless you need the features in the Google Doc editor, this may be a good choice. It eliminates almost all compatibility problems. It's a rare app that won't accept plain text and/or markup. The selection is slightly lower with RTF, but still better than depending on a word processor.

Without knowing more about what you are writing and for what purpose I can't make any suggestions (good or not) about the best approach. I recommend you throw out everything you know about what you think you need to do the task and start over with what needs to be accomplished. It may mean you just need to shift your workflow and apps around a bit, it may mean you need a completely new set of apps and services, or you might need to get new hardware; even if it means it's not Apple hardware.

Good luck.

Most reactions