What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOOHOO I Bought One!!!

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke down and just did it!! There's definitely a learning curve for those of us that have never owned an Apple product but it's exciting. I know, well I'm a grandma and pretty proud of myself for getting this far, so don't judge me too harshly. :)

I look forward to becoming an expert by the time my grandkids find out I even have one. Please be patient and I will try to find the answers before posting a dumb question.

WOOHOO I'm soooooo excited!!!!!!! :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome - you'll find a great bunch of really friendly and helpful guys here. Don't be afraid to post 'dumb' questions, either. We've all been there! You'll find most of the answers to your questions if you use the Forum 'Search' button that's near the top of the Forum page. It's so obvious that everyone misses it!! It's a great way to get an almost instant answer to any question you have and I've found too that you usually find something extra that you weren't actually looking for, but is really useful nevertheless.

But, there are always new questions coming up so - again - don't be afraid to post. And make sure you hide that iPad from your grandkids or you'll never see it again....

Tim
Scotland

OP
Alleygata

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Yep, gotta show those tech savvy kids that grandma's cool.

I've used Windows since it's inception so I'm having to teach an ol' dog new tricks, but it's exciting!

OP
Alleygata

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL It's funny you said that freebird because I spent ALL day reading ALL the iPad guides (and videos) on the GilsMethod.com site today. It helped me so much but my head is spinning!
biggrin.gif

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Alleygata said:
LOL It's funny you said that freebird because I spent ALL day reading ALL the iPad guides (and videos) on the GilsMethod.com site today. It helped me so much but my head is spinning!

Haha told ya so :)

Just keep reading. There are new things to discover everyday.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What has been your favorite thing that your iPad does that you did not expect? Just curious?

OP
Alleygata

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mainly what I'm finding is that using it is like learning a different language...in the dark. I miss not being able to use one-click to return to the screen I was on, especially with short-term memory problems. LOL Since I've never used any Apple product I'm sure there will be a bit longer learning period for me, so I'll have to get back to you on that question. :)

OP
Alleygata

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SBHOKC said:
What has been your favorite thing that your iPad does that you did not expect? Just curious?

Well it hasn't taken me as long as I thought it would to get very familiar with the iPad. I expected the change from Windows OS to Apple to be more difficult, especially with the iPad. But it's amazingly easy even for this grandma! It does a lot more than I expected and I have found little I would want it to do differently. I have a little problem when I need to correct something navigating to the word I want to edit but maybe the stylus will help with that. I expected just to be able to check email, surf, and watch movies but I'm finding the more I learn the more flexible it is. Once I found the right brightness I've been able to replace my Kindle for reading and actually like it better.

If someone had no computer experience I would recommend the iPad over a PC for ease of use. For me, it's become more than just another gadget, it's a new hobby!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SBHOKC said:

Well it hasn't taken me as long as I thought it would to get very familiar with the iPad. I expected the change from Windows OS to Apple to be more difficult, especially with the iPad. But it's amazingly easy even for this grandma! It does a lot more than I expected and I have found little I would want it to do differently. I have a little problem when I need to correct something navigating to the word I want to edit but maybe the stylus will help with that. I expected just to be able to check email, surf, and watch movies but I'm finding the more I learn the more flexible it is. Once I found the right brightness I've been able to replace my Kindle for reading and actually like it better.

If someone had no computer experience I would recommend the iPad over a PC for ease of use. For me, it's become more than just another gadget, it's a new hobby!!

You mention the problem you have navigating to the word that you want to correct. You probably already know this, but just in case....

If you want to edit some text, say in a paragraph that you've just written, position your finger approximately in the right place and touch *and hold* the screen. A little magnifying glass will pop up and you can move your finger around and a little cursor will move in the magnifying glass 'window'. You can now position the cursor much more easily. When you take your finger off the screen you can either start to type/backspace from there straightaway or you can accept one of the offered 'pop up' options, such as 'Select', which will select the word that the cursor is currently in. If you *do* select that option, you'll then be offered follow-up options, such as 'Cut', 'Copy' etc.

It's not perfect, but it's easier than trying to directly touch the screen at exactly the right point and, more or less, removes the need for a stylus for word processing or editting.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Alleygata

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, that's a great tip! I didn't realize it did that.

Most reactions

Latest posts