What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Without a computer, how to sync iPad to iphone

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone on here tell me is it possible to sync my iPhone and iPad. I do not have a computer and would like pictures that I save on one device to also go on other device. Etc etc.

Thanks for any help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They need to be on the same iCloud account and have iCloud Photos turned on in Settings Photos. I you have a sigifican number of photos, you’ll probably have to spring for some extra space in iCloud. You can get 5GB for about $1 a month, which should be enough for most people.

Once you tunr iCloud Photos on (both devices), they will start to sync. Depending on how many photos you have this could take a few days. Your devices will do most of the work when they are plugged into power and not being used. You can see the status at the bottom of the screen in the Photos view.

Photo albums synced using iTunes on a computer will not be included in the iCloud sync/library. These albums can only by managed using iTunes on the computer. If you have photos on the computer that you want on your iOS devices, and too sync, then you’ll have to import them to the library of one of the iOS devices.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet,
Thank you for that info. This is for a friend and I will try doing that on her devices sometime this week.
Thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I haven’t connected my iOS devices to a computer in almost two years. It is doable. iCloud’s various services are the main enabler. For some things other cloud services like Google Drive, DropBox, and OneDrive are needed.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can someone on here tell me is it possible to sync my iPhone and iPad. I do not have a computer and would like pictures that I save on one device to also go on other device...............

Hi Fancypants - you've already been provided an excellent option by TP using iCloud - just for clarification, Apple provides 5 GB of 'free' storage (which they should really increase!) - for $1/month, 50 GB is available (pricing HERE for those needing even more?).

But, just to provide some alternate options for off-storage and iDevice transfers that do not require a computer and can be done with attached or wireless choices. First, there are many solid-state storage devices that can be attached to the lightning port of an iPhone or iPad - first pic below shows just one of MANY offered on Amazon; these can provide multi-GBs of off-device storage (I own one made by Kingston). Second, 'wireless' choices exist - I've had the one shown in the second pic for 4-5 years, i.e. the RavPower File Hub, but other brands and models are certainly available.

As an explanation on how the File Hub works, the final pics (screen captures from my iPad Pro) will help - the hub when activated establishes its own Wi-Fi network, and an iDevice can then sign onto the hub's network; a proprietary app allows viewing of files (e.g. photos, music, etc.) on either the iDevice's internal storage or on the SD card in the hub - the 3rd pic shows the opening screen of the app - following pics demonstrate some of the photos on my iPad - 4 were selected and transferred (see captions) - SD cards up to 256 GB can be used - the hub also functions as a router and a power pack. Hope this helps others w/o computers make an appropriate choice - many options exist. Dave :)
Photos1.png
Photos2.png
Photos3.PNG
Photos4.PNG
Photos5.PNG
Photos6.PNG

Most reactions