What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With the ipad mini coming out is ioad 3 gonna be outdated?

mandapandalove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ask because I bought the new ipad back in april and now with the new release this year makes me feel mine will be outdated. :( it sucks my 4s is but now my ipad? Say it aint so.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I ask because I bought the new ipad back in april and now with the new release this year makes me feel mine will be outdated. :( it sucks my 4s is but now my ipad? Say it aint so.

Probably not Outdated but a good chance your iPad3 will be Updated, particularly if the mini has any improved features over the iPad. Apple is unlikely to want its market share in the tablet world to slip and will want to maintain it as a flagship tablet.
Regards, Andrew

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We won't see an iPad 3 update. The next new iPad ill be out in March.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumours say the iPad Mini will have the same resolution as the original iPad and iPad2 and probably use a similar CPU as the iPad2. The iPad3 will still have superior resolution. It will not be outdated.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Life goes on.......
If nothing ever changed or improved we'd still think the rotary dial phone and B&W CRT TV's were state of the art. :D

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
buerkletucson said:
Life goes on.......
If nothing ever changed or improved we'd still think the rotary dial phone and B&W CRT TV's were state of the art. :D

Yes. The "Admiral" 12.5 inch B&W was racy for its time. Pricey too. My parents paid about $250
CDN for our family's set in 1961. :)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If anything, the iPad mini will hurt iPod touch sales, especially it the mini has a significant improvement of the battery life over the touch. As for the iPad, the only thing that will replace the iPad 3 would be the 4th generation iPad.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nah it's like saying your little brother can kick your bigger brother's butt :D

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outdated hardware? Get used to it :)

So true, that's how the market works. Though the only place the third iPad would be outdated, is inside our heads.

If you keep on using it like you do today, there is no real reason you'll ever buy any newer iPad. Ever.:eek:

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My father is the reason I'm in the IT industry. He's had a saying for decades: If you can afford it, it's already obsolete.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It ain't so, at least for the iPad. There is really little that can be on a Mini that will make the 2012 iPad outdated. We will be lucky to see a LTE version. We will be lucky to see a 64GB version. Word is we won't see a retina screen. Without these features, the ONLY advantage the Mini will have over the 2012 iPad is weight and/or size. To me, this opens up another space where the tablet can be useful. The smaller form factor is ideal for sitting on the couch use. This is how I will use mine. I may also put all of my games on this and leave my productivity apps on the retina iPad. So I will finally solve the space problem I keep bumping up against.

2013 will hopefully see Apple embrace 128GB of storage space. I hope they can make it lighter too. I hate to say it, but the 2012 iPad, when inside a case, gets to be a little heavy for extended sessions. It took me a while to get to where I could admit that.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So true, that's how the market works. Though the only place the third iPad would be outdated, is inside our heads.

If you keep on using it like you do today, there is no real reason you'll ever buy any newer iPad. Ever.:eek:

Well put! And that is why ( even though my first ever Apple product bought was the iPad3 ) I respect those iPad 1 & 2 owners, happy with their purchase and the use they make of it, not spending many more hundred of $s to buy new/more stuff where advertising or keeping up with the Jones's was the influence.

I'm enjoying my iPad very much so any future hardware upgrade had better be good ( combined coffee machine? :rolleyes:)
Regards, Andrew

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not outdated at all. The mini is supposedly downgraded/decontented and operating at a lower resolution than the Retina screen New iPad. The iPad Mini is supposed to compete with the lower cost Kindle and Nook pads out there.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not outdated at all. The mini is supposedly downgraded/decontented and operating at a lower resolution than the Retina screen New iPad. The iPad Mini is supposed to compete with the lower cost Kindle and Nook pads out there.

Yes "supposedly" and "supposed" and after reading all those rumours floating around I don't think any of us is 100% sure. But it's interesting to speculate. If you're right I'll come over and give your Wolfhound a pat on the head:p
All the best, Andrew

Most reactions