What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With the improved GPU/CPU...

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, the CPU is technically twice as fast and Apple claims that the GPU is nine (?) times as fast as the original iPad. Given this massive increase, will there be apps, and specifically games, that will take advantage of the iPad 2's power? My reason for asking is that, if these numbers are correct, there will surely be games that will be nearly unplayable on the iPad 1 if they push the limits of the iPad 2. However, Apple has been critical of the Android Market because of fragmentation, which would be an issue if there were unplayable games/very slow apps (especially graphics intensive, but others as well) available in the App Store that are meant for the iPad 2.

I just can't see this happening, as Apple doesn't allow refunds and there would be some people who would be very upset about this. But I bought the iPad 2 primarily because of the performance increase and I would be upset if games/apps didn't take full advantage of this power because of Apple's insistence on not fragmenting the App Store.

I understand that Apple's criticism of the "fragmentation" of the Android Market is a bit different from what I'm talking about, but I would argue that this is also fragmentation.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of Apps will be designed to run on both the iPad 1 and 2.

There are too many iPad 1's out there for developers to ignore that market. So they'll go lowest common denominator and make most things run fine on both machines--just like most apps run fine on both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3Gs.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that reasoning, and certainly most apps aren't very dependent on performance anyway. But this is also what I was afraid of, because what is the point of having an iPad that is so fast when apps won't take advantage of it? I mean, really, there is no point at all, except that maybe it can output movies at 1080p instead of 720p, which is hardly a big deal at all. I'm not complaining, as I'm not sure what the future will hold, but I definitely am hoping that apps will expand into more advanced functionality considering that iPad apps are quite basic right now.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very true. That's why I've told people that if they didn't want the Camera's or more intensive apps like iMovie, then there is little reason to upgrade at this point.

Probably not worth it for faster web page loading etc. if you're not one that needs the cameras or will use the more resource intensive apps.

Most people are just surfing the net, doing e-mail, using news apps etc. No reasons to upgrade yearly if you have those kind of basic uses.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...but I definitely am hoping that apps will expand into more advanced functionality considering that iPad apps are quite basic right now.

I think Apple apps are just fine the way they are right now - not quite sure what you mean exactly by "more advanced functionality". If common experience is anything to go by looking at the way programs tend to get bigger with each iteration, that's just another way of saying "bloatware with features that 99.9% of us don't care, need or use."

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The added power and ram will allow developers to create more sophisticated and complex apps. For example Garage Band and iMovie.
Firemint with new racing game was made with these improvements in mind, and check out the difference between Infinities Blade on the original iPad and iPad 2 on Anandtech's website. The graphical differences are instantly noticeable.
This is only the beginning.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that developers will start taking advantage of the added power. I don't game a lot on the iPad, but I run a ton of apps. I just run more apps that would be considered more for business use and for productivity. For example, a lot of the apps I use are for marking up and making annotations on blueprints in .PDF form, using apps like Steel HD for reference and calculations, saving and editing documents and spreadsheets from email attachments, etc... I use the iPad at home but it's mostly reading, being on the forums, and doing research online.

At school I use it to take all my notes and record audio of the lectures, access and read my text books in digital format, etc...

I think developers of both games and productivity, as well as media apps, will take advantage of the power increase with more sophisticated and complex apps. We all know what to say when people ask "Should I get rid of my computer and get an iPad?" I think apps will continue to increase in their ability to perform more complex tasks. I don't expect the iPad will ever be able to do everything we can do on a PC or Mac, but I think it will continue to take on more and more tasks that we currently rely on desktop or notebook computers for.

The new Real Racing 2 HD game claims to take advantage of the additional processor and GPU power. Reviews are stating that it runs pretty good on the first iPad. They set their game up to use the increased power of the iPad 2, and some of the features are disabled when installed on the first iPad. Unless a huge problem comes up with this style of design, I think a lot of developers will follow suit.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps will be designed to work in two modes when possible. It will be the same experience, just a little bit fancier for iPad 2.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Apps will be designed to work in two modes when possible. It will be the same experience, just a little bit fancier for iPad 2.

That's what I like to hear. I didn't realize that games may actually have better graphics on the iPad 2 vs iPad 1.

By more advanced functionality, I'm saying that, for example, the photo editing software I've seen is very, very basic compared to something like Photoshop. To that, you may ask if I really expect a full featured Photoshop to come to iPad. I would answer that I do expect that eventually. I love the tablet form factor and I hope that it will actually replace laptops someday in the near future. However, it will only replace laptops if the limits are pushed with every update. I'm sure mainstream PC consumers over the last 30 years would have loved to not have to upgrade every couple of years, but having to upgrade is the reason why our applications are as advanced as they are. If Apple doesn't allow developers to push the hardware of the iPad 2, the catering to the least common denominator will hinder this advancement. It's hard to make a comparison, but I'd say that the iPad 2's hardware is at least as good as relatively high end computers ~7 years ago, which could run Photoshop 4 with ease.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By more advanced functionality, I'm saying that, for example, the photo editing software I've seen is very, very basic compared to something like Photoshop. To that, you may ask if I really expect a full featured Photoshop to come to iPad. I would answer that I do expect that eventually.

Yes and no. It does depend on how developers design their software upgrades, and how much they "bloat up" between iterations.

Given that I've been using fully-fledged photo editing software on Win 98/early XP platforms which, without even looking, I'm pretty confident my iPad easily outspecs in terms of PC hardware and performance, it is viable that a quite comprehensive photo-editing suite could be produced which would work even on iPad 1. I think the challenge of building photo-editing software lies in not having a mouse+cursor with its mouseover, drag, hover, etc, states that aren't as easily replicated with fingers.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm with you on games, but it's interesting how the development of the PC was driven by the demands of gamers and their demands for ever better graphics.
Some of the photo manipulation apps are very good but we are restricted to some extent by the limited screen estate and the lack of subtlety in finger tips. Think of moving Lightroom sliders by touch :(
The software will come however, but it may not be as familiar as the models we're accustomed to from our computer backgrounds.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most common Apps wil work on both devices, the IPad 1 also isnt yet on its limits so theres not much trouble about this.

But Companys like Gameloft which programm high quality Games for the IPad will soon start programming games which will need the Dual Core and GPU Power, like always in History of PC and Consoles once the newer generation appears the older one starts dieing slowly. No illusions here but at least for the quality gaming the IPad 1 will go down its path later this year.

The Question is will the games still run on IPad 1, even if they lag cause of the lack of hardware power, or will those new IPad 2 apps only be able to work on the Ipad 2.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that developers will start taking advantage of the added power. I don't game a lot on the iPad, but I run a ton of apps. I just run more apps that would be considered more for business use and for productivity. For example, a lot of the apps I use are for marking up and making annotations on blueprints in .PDF form, using apps like Steel HD for reference and calculations, saving and editing documents and spreadsheets from email attachments, etc... I use the iPad at home but it's mostly reading, being on the forums, and doing research online.

At school I use it to take all my notes and record audio of the lectures, access and read my text books in digital format, etc...

I think developers of both games and productivity, as well as media apps, will take advantage of the power increase with more sophisticated and complex apps. We all know what to say when people ask "Should I get rid of my computer and get an iPad?" I think apps will continue to increase in their ability to perform more complex tasks. I don't expect the iPad will ever be able to do everything we can do on a PC or Mac, but I think it will continue to take on more and more tasks that we currently rely on desktop or notebook computers for.

The new Real Racing 2 HD game claims to take advantage of the additional processor and GPU power. Reviews are stating that it runs pretty good on the first iPad. They set their game up to use the increased power of the iPad 2, and some of the features are disabled when installed on the first iPad. Unless a huge problem comes up with this style of design, I think a lot of developers will follow suit.

I've seen the exact opposite for Real Racing HD. There are tons of reviews on it from Ipad1 owners claiming it's really bad on their device. Even to go as far and say it looks a lot worse thn the First Racing HD. So this is a first example of a beefed up game for ipad2 not doing so well on ipad1. They say it's pixelated very bad. Of course not all apps for both devices gonna be like this. For example I have Garage band and imovies on my ipad1 and both run very well with no slow down.
I do feel what people saying that they want the new apps to take advantage of the new processing power. This is done gradually though. Look at how many people stillmhave old iPhones n iPod touches still running the same apps as the new ones. I think it will be more of a software thing as far as apps taking advantage of device power. You don't want apps to push ipad2 to the limits cuz it'll really cause fragmentation of devices, which apple is against.
What u Ipad2 owners gonna do once the Real Deal upgrade comes in the form of Ipad3? those same owners gonna want their device pushed to the limits also. Where is that gonna leave u then, huh? Not being able to push ipad3 apps. That's why apple never took the fragmentation approach and ensures all devices can run the app. It'll be stuff within the software that gets triggered when it knows an ipad2 is running it, therefore taking advantage of the extra power boost. There will come a point to where the older devices won't be able to install the newest iOS due to hardware constraints. That's a long ways off for even ipad1 owners.
As for Infinity Blade, yeah it looks a lil sharper n crisper on ipad2, BUT Ipad1 version still looks Stunning, Cutting Edge, and great to watch. People acting as if ipad1 had Nintendo graphics and ipad2 has ps3 quality graphics..lmfao. Yes, there is a huge boost in graphics power, but nothing game changing has been released yet. So hold your horses on that comparison cuz I have all the top notch games for IPad and have seen some of the newer updated versions. Impressive, definitely, some new experience I haven't seen or witnessed b4,NO..lol.
Just defending the Ipad1 owners, y'all ipad2 people don't count us out the game yet. Remember, we paved the way. Ipad2 owners think they on the high horse now..I got stuff my ipad1 is doing that ipad2 people can't even do, Yet.
For the record, I do love the ipad2 ;-). I was just saying....

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most common Apps wil work on both devices, the IPad 1 also isnt yet on its limits so theres not much trouble about this.

But Companys like Gameloft which programm high quality Games for the IPad will soon start programming games which will need the Dual Core and GPU Power, like always in History of PC and Consoles once the newer generation appears the older one starts dieing slowly. No illusions here but at least for the quality gaming the IPad 1 will go down its path later this year.

The Question is will the games still run on IPad 1, even if they lag cause of the lack of hardware power, or will those new IPad 2 apps only be able to work on the Ipad 2.

Good point!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, the CPU is technically twice as fast and Apple claims that the GPU is nine (?) times as fast as the original iPad. Given this massive increase, will there be apps, and specifically games, that will take advantage of the iPad 2's power? My reason for asking is that, if these numbers are correct, there will surely be games that will be nearly unplayable on the iPad 1 if they push the limits of the iPad 2.
However, Apple has been critical of the Android Market because of fragmentation, which would be an issue if there were unplayable games/very slow apps (especially graphics intensive, but others as well) available in the App Store that are meant for the iPad 2.

you will find new apps in Appleville that will not work on older equipments. Check out before you buy.

I just can't see this happening, as Apple doesn't allow refunds and there would be some people who would be very upset about this. But I bought the iPad 2 primarily because of the performance increase and I would be upset if games/apps didn't take full advantage of this power because of Apple's insistence on not fragmenting the App Store.

I understand that Apple's criticism of the "fragmentation" of the Android Market is a bit different from what I'm talking about, but I would argue that this is also fragmentation.

Fragmentation happens as technology changes. The change is rapid and growing. You can get upset, it doesn't change anything.

Surely, you can appreciate how technology grows and develops. iPAD2 has much better performance in graphics. Comparisons show Xoom is way behind in graphics. It was designed to compete with iPAD, not iPAD2. Apple truely surprised everyone

If many could understand the results of the in depth review by ... anandtech.com ... of the new A5 dual core combined with the new GPU (543M2)in iPAD2 ... this combination is an awesome improvement, and a major upgrade.

In the gaming world it is all about picture quality, rapid rewrites of the screen to eliminate blur, and texturing ... the new GPU executes twice the number of instructions per clock cycle, 4 times the pipelines (like a freeway with more lanes ... moves more traffic ... data)... so fill rates jump.

Also other efficiency improvements like hidden surface removal that works at twice the rate as in iPAD graphics (535). There is a huge boost in texturing filtering performance.

This all says great picture. (by the way this is 3-5 times better than original iPAD and 2-7 times better than Xoom)

Also more resolution and more pixels means the need for more cpu performance and RAM just to fill the extra pixels ... This robs the overall performance engine from its other processing tasks. Faster CPU, more pipelines demands more power, lowers battery life... this tradeoff process goes on and on, and drives up cost.

New apps, especially in gaming will be developed to take advantage of that added performance. The original iPAD, is great, but you can not expect the gamers to average out the performance of their new games so old stuff can try to use it also. It can certainly play the games developed before. But the new ones will be much better. That is progress.

Read thru Home - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News review of A5 and GPU performance and you will quickly see that game developers can add features now available in coding that will really enhance display. You will be able to go ..wow. ipad2 only, however.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts