What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless viewing of PC stored photos and videos

Francisbd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to this site but I have not been able to find an answer to my question. I have an Ipad2 which I primarily use as a network viewer and music controller. It is a WiFi only min memory unit. All my pictures, videos and
music are stored on my 3TB external drive connected to my Windows 7 PC.
Using AirPlay, and ITunes Home Sharing, I stream music to my stereo
system via Apple Express and to my Home Entertainment system via Apple TV. Using this set up I listen to all my music wherever I want under the control of my IPad. Using ITunes, I've also set up folders for photos and videos.
These Folders show up on my Apple TV allowing me to view my photos or videos on my large TV. Everything works fine except.......there are times when I would like to view my photos on my IPad. I have Photo Stream enabled so my recent photos do appear via ICloud but this doesn't include videos or my older archieved photos. I could sync the photos to my Ipad but I'm never certain which ones I want and I don't have enough memory for Everything. I'm certain I could find an App to do this but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.
It seems like everything is Streaming, so why can't I find a way to make this content ( photos and videos) available on my IPad?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only photos stored locally on the iPad can be viewed on the iPad. This is true if you are using the CCK to read SD cards, so I assume it will be the same with photographs stored on an external drive.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you need is the Filebrowser App.....

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-2258734633.jpg
    image-2258734633.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 870

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I looked for the app you pictured Gabriel, but could not find it in my country's app store. But I use Splashtop. Here is my picture of it.

BTW, I noticed you have TEN apps to update!

2726e1f9.jpg

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that is surprising as there is a quote from the US App Store on their web site.....or are you in Canada?

Yes, I've been watching my app update list grow, I must get round to updating them!

The Archangel

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Well that is surprising as there is a quote from the US App Store on their web site.....or are you in Canada?

Yes, I've been watching my app update list grow, I must get round to updating them!

The Archangel

I'm in the USA. I checked again and did find the app.

OP
F

Francisbd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I was hoping there was some little known trick that I didn't know about. I'll give the Apps a try.

Most reactions