What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless tethering issues.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A short while back, I jail broke my IPad (1st Gen) and also rooted my EVO 4G phone. I didn't know, at the time, that rooting my phone would have been enough (with the appropriate app installed, of course), but I have found other beneficial features for my IPad being jail broken.

I had downloaded and installed the 'Wireless Tethering' app, and (initially) was good to go. The first two times that I tried it, there were no issues: it worked fine. Yesterday, however, that story was given another side.

When I started the wireless tethering, all showed fine: my phone gave all proper information about the tethering being activated/on. Also, my IPad's 'Settings' window revealed that everything was as it was supposed to be. however, my IPad would NOT connect. The blue progress bar, in the destination window, would travel no more than about 5% - and become fixated right at that point. Since then, I have tried it a number of times (the latest, about an hour and a half ago), but all to no avail.

On top of this is the fact that I cannot shut down the wireless tethering, on my phone, by conventional means (depressing the 'stop tethering' virtual button). It will just vibrate, and go back to showing the 'On' state of tethering. In order to defeat this, I have to shut my phone totally down, and turn it back on.

I would REALLY like to get on the bright side of this wireless tethering matter, and hope that someone might have a 'fix' for me. In the meantime, all I can think to try would be to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Advanced thanks.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, uninstalling/reinstalling the 'Wireless Tethering' app didn't, do much at all for me. The only difference it made was in properly shutting down when I hit the 'Stop Tethering' button.

What, pray tell, could be going on?

Carnut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
go back to the android forums, sometimes going to a different version of wireless tether will solve the problem. My evo works just dandy with all my devices, laptop, ipad and imac.
also check your settings on the phone, eg. security, network,etc.
It also works well with other peoples devices.

Last edited:
OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
go back to the android forums, sometimes going to a different version of wireless tether will solve the problem. My evo works just dandy with all my devices, laptop, ipad and imac.
also check your settings on the phone, eg. security, network,etc.
It also works well with other peoples devices.

Thanks Carnut.

I don't know if this means anything, but I just may have downloaded a different version than what I previously had. The App's icon, for both, are similarly shaped, but the former's color was green, whereas the present icon's color is yellow, and somewhat smaller than the other. I sure hope I can get this matter turned around, because wireless tethering is the ONLY reason that I rooted my phone.

Carnut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My version is green 2.0.7. It's been updated a few times and still works fine.
I hear you. My reason for rooting was the same as yours.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My version is green 2.0.7. It's been updated a few times and still works fine.
I hear you. My reason for rooting was the same as yours.

Carnut,

I just went through another reinstallation of the app. I am back to green (though I am not presently aware of its version), and it is working ok - so far.

Though I can wirelessly tether to my phone, my iPad moves at a snail's pace. But we were out this evening, and one of our friends had bought her iPad along. Just for the sake of it, I tried to see if I would be successful in tethering hers (also a 1st gen unit, WIFI only unit). Not only did it tether well, but her iPad was moving along at a much faster rate than mine would/does.

I Don't know WHAT'S up with that.

Most reactions

Latest posts