What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless storage with Huawei E585

xiang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone knows of any app that can use the E585's memory? Or perhaps someone can write an app for it? It will very useful.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone knows of any app that can use the E585's memory? Or perhaps someone can write an app for it? It will very useful.

FileBrowser might do it for you.

For example, I will allow me to copy files to/from and SD card plugged in to a USB slot (via a mini SD card reader) on my old DLink Storage Router, which I was about to trow out.

OP
X

xiang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May I know if the router's main page is locked with a password and I need to enter a password in order to access the memory in the router. Will this software work on it?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
May I know if the router's main page is locked with a password and I need to enter a password in order to access the memory in the router. Will this software work on it?

If you are asking whether FileBrowser let's you enter (and store) a user name and password for each device you connect to, the answer is yes.

This don't guarantee that it will work for you but I there is a good chance that it will. You won't know for sure until you try it.

OP
X

xiang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I have purchased the software but now I am trying to connect to my modem.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I tried FileBrowser on an Huawei E 5... But I do not know how to connect to it.
I tried the IP address and the web interface user name and pw but FileBrowser denies to connect. Any ideas?
Internet access works flawlessly. And I seem not to find any settings to share the SD card. Neither over web interface or windows settings and management tool.
Knut

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried the IP address and the web interface user name and pw but FileBrowser denies to connect. Any ideas?

Did you have \\ in front of the IP addess (e.g. \\192.168.0.1)? With that and the user name and password I have been able to connect to SMB shares quite a few devices such as a Western Digital NAS, USB HDDs and SD cards on a DLink Storage Server and an SD card plugged into an HP wireless printer.

The important factor whether the device has any SMB shares set up for the memory media, most do.

A purpose built device that does the job is AirStash but there many others will do it too.

OP
X

xiang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did. I contacted the staff and they told me that the app does not support huawei e585. Anyway thank you for your help:)

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I did. I contacted the staff and they told me that the app does not support huawei e585. Anyway thank you for your help:)

That's unfortunate.

I am sure that you will find FileBrowser is generally very useful.

muttleyuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can use OPlayer's web browser to watch videos on the E585 SD card by using the built in web browser pointed to 3.home/sdcard/FILENAME.AVI

Unfortunately, it doesn't support directory listings if pointed to 3.home/sdcard so you need to know the name, but yes, it works.

muttleyuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can use OPlayer's web browser to watch videos on the E585 SD card by using the built in web browser pointed to 3.home/sdcard/FILENAME.AVI

That's very interesting. Do you know whether safari does the job as well? Or just OPlayer?

Thanks.
Knut

It's a bit strange actually.

I have three files:
1.) 720p MKV
2.) DivX AVI (SD)
3.) iPhone compatible M4V (created with AirVideo)

OPlayer will play anything you give it. iPhone compatible MP4/M4V files can use the iPhone/iPad's GPU to accelerate decoding by setting the QuickTime option to ON. When on though, and playing back a compatible file from the E585, it fails. Playing using my home web server, it works.

Safari does one of two things when playing back from the E585. If it's an MP4 compatible file, it fails and shows the PLAY button with a cross through it. With AVI/MKV (or anything else it doesn't recognise), it downloads the entire file first and then gives you the option to 'Open In...'. You can then send it to OPlayer/FileBrowser. This isn't ideal as it's not streaming, it's copying and then playing locally.

So it looks like the best option is to use OPlayer's built in webbrowser (with QT option OFF) and you can stream any file type. Just avoid HD.

You can test this using the lite version before committing to buy it. There's just an annoying advert at the top during playback.

Phil

Last edited:

Alpha4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but you guys seem knowledeable on the E585 3 Mi-Fi thing and might be able to help me.

When I try to wrelessly connect to the E585 IP Address from iPad 2 using Filebrowser it asks for a username and password.

Now, to my knowledge I have never set up a username and password on the E585. I have tried the Admin ones - no dice and my My3 account logins, again, nothing doing.

Does anyone know which username and password Filebrowser is asking for please?

Many thanks for any help supplied.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If you did not set the admin password then the admin password is admin.
If you cannot get access then reset the entire device. And start all over again.

Hope this helps.
Or maybe try from a PC or Mac instead.

Knut

Alpha4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you did not set the admin password then the admin password is admin.
If you cannot get access then reset the entire device. And start all over again.

Hope this helps.
Or maybe try from a PC or Mac instead.

Knut

Yes, Thanks Kricke.

As I said in my previous post, I've tried the Admin/Admin account login...wasn't accepted.

Still can't understand which Username/Login and Password the E585 is asking me for.

Most reactions

Latest posts