wireless router and setup using your ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by jnsq5, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jnsq5

jnsq5 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have ordered a new I-pad 3 (wi fi version). I have a wireless network at home and I don't expect any problems getting connected there. Here is my question though ... I will need to be spending a lot of time out of State visiting my elderly Mother. So far, on those visits, I used my PC laptop and PDA Net on my android phone to connect to the internet. The signal is weak, and I have done some checking and signals from all major carriers appears weak at her location. I am now going to get an internet connection at my Mother's house. I want to find a wireless router that is compatible with the I-pad, and specifically that can be set up with my I-pad ... I don't want to lug my PC laptop out there too. Anyone have recommendations on a router and who has successfully set up a router from their I-pad?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. jmbarker

jmbarker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I replaced an Apple Extreme router with a Linksys E4200 and my iPad 2 connects to my network with zero issues. I did have to install the software via the CD that came with the router. I think I could have done it from the Linksys website in hindsight but I am not aware of any router that can set up without the aid of a PC or Mac computer.

3. vfontjr

vfontjr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've used my wi-fi only iPad all over the US as I travel for business. At home I have two dLink dir-827 dual-band routers. I've never had a problem connecting my iPad to any wifi connection when they are available. When I was setting up the dual-bands at home, I followed the recommendations I found in the Apple forum. That is, to set the 2.4mhz band to 20/40 and the 5mhz band to 20. The iPad will conect to both bands but seems to prefer the 2.4mhz.

4. Tudor

Tudor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you use an Apple AirPort Extreme you can configure it directly from an iPad, also it is dual frequency that the iPad supports.

5. tdrew

tdrew iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm using an ASUS RT-N56U Router. No problems at all, and has great signal strength.

Tom