What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless router advice needed

Lisab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope I'm posting this to the correct forum! My iPad will be delivered in May (ack!), and I need to get a wireless router. I'm looking at the Linksys E2000. It will be on the central floor of my home, nearly in the middle. Will it have a strong enough signal to reach the basement, located approx. 8 feet below and 5 feet to the side? Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope I'm posting this to the correct forum! My iPad will be delivered in May (ack!), and I need to get a wireless router. I'm looking at the Linksys E2000. It will be on the central floor of my home, nearly in the middle. Will it have a strong enough signal to reach the basement, located approx. 8 feet below and 5 feet to the side? Thanks!

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Regarding the Linksys router question, I think it will depend to a great extent on the construction of the floor between the router and the basement - i.e. whether the floor is, say, wooden or is of a reinforced concrete type with metal reinforcing bars. I have a similar set-up to yours - except that my router is on the ground floor and I'm currently typing this on my iPad in an upper room of the house probably 40-50 feet away from the router (I have the same router as you mention). The signal has to pass through the floor - it is wooden - and three walls - brick/wood - to get to the iPad and there is no problem at all with signal strength. So my 'gut' reaction is that you'll have no problem at all. I have several WiFi devices in the house and the iPad consistently gets a better WiFi signal than any of the others.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
L

Lisab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Yes, the floor is wooden, and will pass also through two drywall/wood walls. I think I'll be ok. Love the forum!

gifty74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The E2000 is NOT simultaneous dual band. Meaning it can only do the 2.4ghz or 5ghz N band, not both at the same time. If you have any devices that are older (like laptops) or can only do 2.4ghz N (Iphone) you'll want one that does both bands simultaneously. I have the Netgear WNDR3400 that does simultaneous and its been great. I see a definite speed improvement on my Ipad 2 on the 5ghz versus the 2.4ghz N band. And, if you have any old devices, you'll want to be able to run both bands at the same time. The WNDR3400 does an awesome job at that.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just about any wireless router will cover your whole house. I picked up an airport express, too. It allows for printing and is much more portable. I hang it off my router at work for wireless access.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Linksys router is in the basement and works fine. No real problems anywhere in the house. Had netgear previously and it was junk, much prefer the Linksys.

OP
L

Lisab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help! Now....to find someone who can test for kryptonite..:)

Most reactions