Wireless mouse for ipad’

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Sap44, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for all the posts, but I'm on 2 different forums with this question. Someone on another forum sent me this Amazon info. The top 2 pictures appear to be just what I need. They appear to be for downloading from a camera. Will it work with a mouse? What do you think?
    Amazon.com : usb female to lightning male

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Great - searching your model number on EveryMac provides the information shown below; so indeed you have the 7th G iPad which can accept the current iOS version. Dave :)

iPad1.png iPad2.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Ed - first, look at this article on Using External Mouse on Your iPad - both wired and wired options. Your linked Amazon USB-A Female to Lightning are the ones needed if you are plugging in a mouse w/ a Male USB-A connector (not the middle one) should work - NOW, look at the negative comments closely on those to see what problems may exist?

Not sure exactly why you're trying to use KBs & mice w/ your iPad (may help us if you explain), but there is a nifty On-Screen iOS KB trick - see the 2nd pic below from my iPad Pro - I've brought up a doc in Pages - KB appears - a 'press & hold' blanks all of the keys; the simply moving my finger will move the cursor to any position in the document chosen - might eliminate your need for an external mouse? Let us know if this helps. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 6.04.34 PM.png
    IMG_2066.PNG

4. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Dave, for your helpful research. I’ll check into your recommendations. The reason I like using a mouse rather than track pad is that I’m used to it. In addition, the track pad on my external KB often needs a few taps in the center for it to work properly, although I can live with it. A new keyboard wouldn’t cost much, either.

ive taken more interest in my iPad recently because my trusty Toshiba laptop is getting long in the tooth, and I may elect to use my iPad as a viable replacement. My (Windows) laptop is still working surprisingly well, but I like to be proactive. :)

5. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It seems like some of my posts are disappearing, don’t know why. Anyhow, I wanted to thank Dave (giradman) for his helpful research, as well as all who responded on this thread

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    While you may have had issues with bluetooth mice in the past, I doubt it would be much of an issue on the iPad; as long as you got a decent one. New Accessibility features have even made it possible to assign a limited number of actions to extra buttons on the mouse. I've read several articles on the use of a mouse with the iPad, and heard no complaints about reliability.

I really believe you are complicating your life pursuing the use of a wireless mouse. Using a dongle is a last resort, since it can be lost and requires constant plugging and unplugging to use other devices and keep the iPad charged.

Of course you can use a USB hub style dongle, but even those are a pain. And there is no guarantee it will work with the wireless mouse dongle.

#16 twerppoet, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  7. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, friends, I’ve pretty much made up my mind to go with a Bluetooth mouse. I found a good one on Amazon for less than $16.00. It’s a Microsoft mouse (yes, that’s right) and has excellent reviews from most users. Thanks again to all who’ve helped.

8. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Twerppoet, I’m under the impression that Bluetooth mice don’t require a dongle in the iPad, but communicate directly with the iPad. Perhaps I’m wrong in that supposition, so please correct me if so. For example, no dongle is required for my wireless keyboard.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Correct. Bluetooth devices do not require a dongle with the iPad, or most modern computers/devices.

There was a brief period of time when bluetooth dongles did exist, so that older non-bluetooth computers could use bluetooth mice and keyboards. You'd be hard pressed to find such a computer or dongle these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just ordered the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse from Amazon this morning. If it doesn't work as expected I will not have lost much, maybe about $17. If that happens I'll just stick with the track pad on the keyboard. :)