What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Keyboard

JigSaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleFanatic8694 said:
Worth it?

If you frequently type more than a few sentences at a time it is definitely worth it. Plus you can use it on all your other Apple products.

OP
A

AppleFanatic8694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I plan on downloading pages and typing my school papers on my iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. I plan on downloading pages and typing my school papers on my iPad.

I own the Apple BT keyboard (and purchased a nice case) - certainly if you are planning to do a LOT of typing on the device, such as long e-mails & Pages, as mentioned, a keyboard will be highly suggested.

Now there are plenty of options, e.g. ones that fold and others incorporated into cases, like the Zaggmate, so if you decide on the need for a KB, look around and as suggested search the forum, plenty of advice already available. Good luck in your choice - :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll note my repetitious caution here. (Apologies to those who've read it before.)

Combination keyboard/iPad cases have to sacrifice keyboard width to fit into a case that holds the iPad. The Apple Wireless Keyboard, for example, is almost two inches wider than the iPad (in landscape mode.) If you're accustomed to typing on a full size keyboard or even a keyboard on a relatively small laptop (e.g. 11") you'll find the keyboard included in any of the various combo cases for the iPad/keyboard to be very cramped. If your fingers are small and you will be using the iPad keyboard exclusively, you may be able to adjust easily. Otherwise, beware.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try before you buy... I cannot use any of the small keyboards, but the apple wireless is brilliant.

-t

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple B/T keyboard. It is wonderful and I have no interest in even looking at any others. It is the same keyboard as on my MacBook and the iMacs. If anything, I think it has an even better action.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for the apple kbd.
Big hands here and I never think of it's size.

Plus it looks so much nicer than all those black plastic ones.....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One small vote for a folding keyboard - the advantage being that you can easily take it anywhere with you as it folds up to a very small size. For sure, I accept all of the reservations that the earlier posters have made about smaller keyboards and agree with them, but - when you're on the road and need to write a longish email or a report - a folding keyboard is better than no keyboard at all.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, use the Apple Wireless Keyboard in combination with the Incase Origami Workstation. Very good combination.

As an alternative, I'd also recommend the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000. It's a bit wider than the AWK and includes a separate number pad (also bluetooth). It has better ergonomics (curved to reduce wrist fatigue). And it's significantly less expensive than the AWK. ($30 without the number pad; $40-$45 with the pad. That compares to $70 for the AWK.)

Both options are very good for extended text entry.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Bluetooth-Mobile-Keyboard-6000/dp/B002NP8XJ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311855617&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000: Electronics[/ame]

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, as in other threads, I vote for the full-sized Apple B/T keyboard. I really like mine. (And my Victorinox vertical briefcase has a padded pocket that fits it exactly.)

Most reactions