What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless headphones.

bmwx5m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey hows it going, i am looking for the best wireless headphones for an Ipad 2 that i can use on an airplane. They have to be noise canceling and as comfortable as possible since i will wear them for 8 hours or so, price is no object. Thank you for your help i appreciate it.

heavyhitter504

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered the nokia bh-905 and from what I've read theyre a pretty good wireless headset (they also come with a wire to allow for wired connection that provides even better sound quality). They also have a feature called "active noise cancellation" and it's supposed to cancel out a lot of outside noise like noise from airplane rides, car rides and background city noise.

OP
B

bmwx5m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply, i was thinking maybe a bluetooth headphones would be better, just not sure how long the battery lasts on them compared to regular batteries.

heavyhitter504

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Power supply
Rechargeable 600 mAh Li-Ion Polymer battery

Operating time (maximum)
Talk (Bluetooth): 24 h
Music (Bluetooth): 25 h
Talk (Bluetooth, with active noise cancellation): 15 h
Music (Bluetooth, with active noise cancellation): 16 h
Music (Wired, with active noise cancellation): 40 h
Hands-free phone calls and music listening (without active noise cancellation) possible even with empty battery (wired connection)

Standby time (maximum)
With Bluetooth: 600 h

Charging time (maximum)
2 h

These specs are from the nokia website. Yeah these are Bluetooth and I think there's an upgraded version called the bh 905i. Both can be found on amazon and eBay

OP
B

bmwx5m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found out that you cant use wireless headphones on an airplane, they don't allow it =/. Thank you though appreciate the help. Also any idea on a good surge protector which i can use on a cruise ship/hotel, that is small in size, does the ipad usb charger have built in surge protection? Thank you again.

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found out that you cant use wireless headphones on an airplane, they don't allow it =/.
Actually, you CAN use Bluetooth devices on most airlines. You just need to check with the airline. Here's British Airways policy on this, for example. As with all airlines, there is a restriction on using any electronic device during takeoff and landing, but in-flight use is permitted.

There was also a very good post from an experienced airline pilot about this, in which he explained why Bluetooth could not possibly interfere with any of an aircraft's systems. I'll try to find the post later and put a link to it here.

The best BT headphones I have found are the Sennheiser MM-550 ones. The battery is a rechargeable one that lasts about 8 hours when using BT, so you might want to consider carrying a spare battery with you, or a portable power supply to recharge it.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I found that post from the pilot who is a member here. Here it is:

Let me try to clear some things up. I am an airline pilot, and I deal with this everyday.

I do not know the FAA's position on Bluetooth headsets, but I do not they have restricted bluetooth headsets for flight crews to the point where no one is trying to manufacture them. That may give an idea on their position.

There have been cases of electronic devices interfering with aircraft systems, the only ones I know off are communication systems. In fact if you are on an iPhone and on at&t we can here incoming calls in our radios. We still uses antiquated HF radios when traveling over the ocean and something as simple as a cassette player spinning magnetic tape could interfere with communication. Is it going to be enough to take an airplane down? Not in the slightest, but it could cause distractions. Now that being said, we have made groundbreaking advancements in aircraft systems and operations. I know of no cases within the past 20 years where electronic devices have interfered with aircraft systems. I do not know the FAA stance, but if there is a possibility of interference when flying they remove all issues. This would mean no electronic devices for the critical phases of flight.

Bluetooth operates on a frequency not even close to what we use for communication, navigation, and aircraft serial bus communication. There is virtually no way there would be an interference. I have been on a few flights where I know, for sure, there was usage of a bluetooth device. Yes the penalty is a fine in the amount of 25,000 for non compliance, but when was the last time you heard that being enforced. Besides do you really think the flight attendant knows, or cares, that you are using a wired headset vs a bluetooth one?

I have heard the plantronics are pretty solid headphones. Eventually I am going to get a pair as I wand the earbuds so I can use them while riding and other various things. I have read many places that the motorollas last about a year and then malfunction in some way.

crabby

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Headphones

Hey hows it going, i am looking for the best wireless headphones for an Ipad 2 that i can use on an airplane. They have to be noise canceling and as comfortable as possible since i will wear them for 8 hours or so, price is no object. Thank you for your help i appreciate it.

I'd be careful if you want to use these on an aircraft. Wifi is still a big no no with many airlines, and if you have to put your ipad into "Aircraft" mode, a wired set would be better:)

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be careful if you want to use these on an aircraft. Wifi is still a big no no with many airlines, and if you have to put your ipad into "Aircraft" mode, a wired set would be better
Bluetooth is not the same as WiFi.

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on being able to use BT headsets in flight unless it was a flight that provided wifi service. If the airline has a written policy saying it's allowed that's one thing, but if you are dependent on the flight crew to either not notice or let you slide it's just not going to be worth the hassle.

For in flight use I would just get the best noise canceling set I could afford. I use a set of jvc earbuds rated at 87% noise reduction and I would consider them just adequate. Full over the ear headphones would perform better, but cost more in terms of bulk and weight.

For wireless use, I have a Sony mw600 that I am very happy with. It's a tiny a2dp receiver that you plug your own headphones into. It pairs with 3 devices and and has an fm radio built in. There is a small led screen for managing paired devices that would show track names if apple would actually implement the rest of the a2dp spec.

batmowes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the JayBird Freedom headphones, great sound, comfortable, not too expensive!

Most reactions

Latest posts