Wiping clear an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by doris ganton, Jan 7, 2018.

1. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave

Confusing? Indeed! I lived with all these problems for many months with my Mini 2, had long sessions on phone with Apple experts all over the States. They were all baffled, finally suggesting a news one..( I have hsd this disappear 3x already!)
    I should not have let them transfer everything to my new one, as it all is now on my 9.7. The data disappears,randomly. I keep mentioning the photos because that is all I want to bring over to the new one. There are about 200+/-.
    When I say the screen disappears ( it just did it twice now) , I mean the screen goes blank. But often it brings up an entirely different page. I have to retype it all.
    I don't use the Mail app on this because somehow it doesn't bring up gmail,and does bring up strange excerpts from ??? Occasionally it brings up a few yahoo emails. I don't use yahoo,my husband does.My Gmail comes on the big red M,don't know why but it does. On all my previous iPads I have used Mail.i don't know what it is related to ...your #2 question. Re the three things re cloud and photos, I cannot find that page anywhere in settings.
    Yes, I too wish you were here to see all these ' wonders' ,and no there are no places or people closer than Vancouver ( 5 hours away, 5 mountains between).
    I searched everywhere for help with the mini, including on here, and several of you talented fellows helped but never solved it. I sure do appreciate all your time and efforts ,but don't really know what to do now. The warranty isn't much good when there is nowhere to use it.
    Doris

2. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Dave, I wrote a lenghthy reply and it vanished. By any chance did it get to you?
    This happens often ,but I had hoped it did go.
    Doris

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your replies always appear on the forums. Do you use a browser for replying, or Tapatalk?

The big red M is the Gmail app, that’s why it will always bring up your Gmail account, and nothing else.

The built in Mail account, on the other hand, can be set up with different kinds of accounts, so if your husband’s account is set up for it, his emails will appear on your iPad as well. To change between email accounts in the built in Mail app, tap the icon at the top left: 1F3CC4EF-B7FC-41CA-BFE5-818CD2A14103.jpeg
    That will show the accounts available in your built in Mail app. Tap your Gmail account to take a look at it.
    379AE721-074A-4365-8B6D-F3ACCC59AB37.jpeg

And now to your photos:
    Go to the Settings app, and take a look at Photos. Tell us what you’ve enabled there.
    4FA7FE25-C88C-46C5-B1FA-6790017ADFCD.png

#13 J. A., Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi again JA. I use a browser . But I do have Tapatalk. Now,photos:enabled......
    ' allow photos to access:' Siri and Search, iCloud Photo Library, Upload to my photo stream, Summarize photos, Transfer to Mac or PC automatically.
    I don't know how these became checked , I didn't do it.
    I still would like to wipe it and restore to original empty state. Do all those icons automatically stay on the screens when's wiped?

5. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I believe that anything you did not put on the iPad yourself stays I’m not sure on that though.

6. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Thomas, Doris

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That’s not correct.

#17 J. A., Jan 10, 2018
  8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes, things get checked automatically when you update. This happens with Bluetooth, for example. So it’s a good idea to take a look at your settings after an update.

Are the images also on your other iPad? Also, go to www.icloud.com in a browser on your computer, login and go to Photos. The images should all be there. If they are also on your other iPad, and you have the same settings enabled, they are in iCloud.
    When you set up the new iPad as new, and enable iCloud Photo Library again, they will reappear, in this case. Before erasing your iPad, disable iCloud Photo Library and Upload to My PhotoStream. The images should still be on your other device.

To erase your iPad, go to Settings - your name - iCloud:
    58DB0E57-7E24-422F-B53D-9FF0553605B3.jpeg
    Select Find my iPad, turn it off. You’ll have to enter your iCloud password.
    8D072727-14B2-4C4E-9A13-C8FFBDEC0D72.jpeg
    That done, go to Settings - General - Reset.
    07E65985-7FB5-4820-BDF4-A33987A5E289.jpeg
    Go to Erase All Content And Settings.
    76EEDB3D-FCBE-4B08-8E08-949279B68645.jpeg
    This will wipe your iPad completely. You’ll have to set it up again afterwards.

Hope that helps.

#18 J. A., Jan 10, 2018
  9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It’s still possible to use both at the same time.

10. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My apologies for the error. I will delete that post.