What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiping clear an iPad

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have a 3 wk old iPaD 9.7. I bought it in Az at Apple store, they transferred the info from my Mini to the new one. The Mini had many many problems ,my reason for getting a new one. All those problems are now on my new tablet,so am in same old problem. My question is how can I save my photos to a stick or.?? And wipe clear the iPad ?
I am back in Canada so can't just take it back to store.
Thanks, Doris

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i have a 3 wk old iPaD 9.7. I bought it in Az at Apple store, they transferred the info from my Mini to the new one. The Mini had many many problems ,my reason for getting a new one. All those problems are now on my new tablet,so am in same old problem. My question is how can I save my photos to a stick or.?? And wipe clear the iPad ?..........

Hi Doris - I agree w/ Lanny, i.e. we need to know what 'all those problems' were on you Mini and now presumably transferred to your 'new' iPad. Also, would help if you tell us which 'new' iPad you bought and what iOS version is now on that device - see the image below from my iPad Air 2 - the blue circled information would help us. Finally, now that you're back home, how do you back-up your iPad, i.e. via the cloud and/or to a computer using iTunes? Dave :)
IMG_2417.PNG

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is iPad 9.7 ,version 11.2.1 (15C153), model MP2F2 LL/A.
Problems are so very many, .......loses pieces of emails ( it lost last half of yours,so don't know what you asked)
Grabs old ,sometimes 2 or 3 yrs old that were on my first iPad years ago, and inserts them into the email I am typing, often as I am typing it has moved to somewhere else and I never find it, am constantly having to correct
Or start all over again. Often it won't do what I ask ,i.e.wont bring cursor to where I need it, or also sends mail to
Drafts or somewhere?,I often never find them again. Many other things to..?.?.
I really think the answer is to clear this one completely. But I would like to have my photos. They get put in the Cloud all the time,does this make them stay on when everything is cleared? I like a lot of things about this new one but it is almost useless this way.

Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is iPad 9.7 ,version 11.2.1 (15C153), model MP2F2 LL/A.
Problems are so very many, .......loses pieces of emails ( it lost last half of yours,so don't know what you asked)
Grabs old ,sometimes 2 or 3 yrs old that were on my first iPad years ago, and inserts them into the email I am typing, often as I am typing it has moved to somewhere else and I never find it, am constantly having to correct
Or start all over again. Often it won't do what I ask ,i.e.wont bring cursor to where I need it, or also sends mail to
Drafts or somewhere?,I often never find them again. Many other things to..?.?.
I really think the answer is to clear this one completely. But I would like to have my photos. They get put in the Cloud all the time,does this make them stay on when everything is cleared? I like a lot of things about this new one but it is almost useless this way...

Hi again Doris - first, you have the newest iPad model which Apple is simply calling 'iPad' (and not a Pro); plus, the iOS installed is the current one - see first pic below from EveryMac.

Second, your description of 'some of the problems' occurring is difficult to resolve (in my mind) and even more confusing when you said the same was happening on your old Mini, i.e. makes me suspect that the issue(s) is with your apps (such as Mail and/or browser), ISP (internet service provider) and/or your settings, e.g. in iCloud. Please provide us some further information: 1) Which ISP do you use; 2) At home how is your Wi-Fi network setup; 3) Are you using the Mail App and how many accounts do you have and w/ whom (such as Yahoo. Gmail, etc.); 4) How is your mail be synced w/ iCloud, if at all; and 5) Are these issues occurring w/ other apps, such as Safari, e.g. not sure from the above why you did not see my entire post since it was not an email?

Third, as to photos, please see second pic and the question asked - how do you deal w/ photos in iCloud? And finally, how do you back up your iPad, i.e. to a computer (if so which kind) and/or to iCloud - this will impact on how and where to save your photos, if indeed you want to reset/restore the iPad. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 1.01.24 AM.png

IMG_2418.PNG

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks mucho Giradman. Will try to answer those questions. My screen has disappeared twice so far, have to log in again each time after finding this site.
ISP is Telus Smart Hub. But I get same problems when I use the Library wifi.
2) No set up except a password.
3) Mail App doesn't work well,have to use the bigM to get my Gmail.i have a Yahoo addy too but my husband uses it on his laptop and Acer tablet and has no problems.
4) I have not synced anything,as don't know how, but the photos at least go to the cloud.
5) Haven't noticed other Apps, but Google does the same as gmail.... things disappear or something New is brought up, acts same as the email,very frustrating trying to read anything.
As for that screen ,with ( this just disappeared,found it elsewhere) the 3iCloud Photo things on it, I don't seem to have that screen anywhere.They bunch several things together, iCloud,and 3 others, but another screen shows "Apps using iCloud ...these are " on".... photos,mail,contacts,reminders,notes,safari,game center,Siri,iCloud Backup,iCloud Drive and 5 others.
I really am frustrated with this problem, I spend so much time trying to find where my (gone again) typing has gone ,then re-doing everything.
Does any of this make sense to you?

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks mucho Giradman. Will try to answer those questions. My screen has disappeared twice so far, have to log in again each time after finding this site.
3) Mail App doesn't work well,have to use the bigM to get my Gmail.i have a Yahoo addy too but my husband uses it on his laptop and Acer tablet and has no problems.
4) I have not synced anything,as don't know how, but the photos at least go to the cloud.
5) Haven't noticed other Apps, but Google does the same as gmail.... things disappear or something New is brought up, acts same as the email,very frustrating trying to read anything.
As for that screen ,with ( this just disappeared,found it elsewhere) the 3iCloud Photo things on it, I don't seem to have that screen anywhere.They bunch several things together, iCloud,and 3 others, but another screen shows "Apps using iCloud ...these are " on".... photos,mail,contacts,reminders,notes,safari,game center,Siri,iCloud Backup,iCloud Drive and 5 others.
I really am frustrated with this problem, I spend so much time trying to find where my (gone again) typing has gone ,then re-doing everything.
Doris

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dear Doris, l am sorry that you are getting so frustrated with these problems.
I will not put my foot in and complicate matters for you. However you need just to calm down and take it easy. The systems on here are hard for us oldies to understand.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Doris - coming in late for the day and was hoping that one of our other illustrious mods/members would 'chime in' to help you. The above description is indeed confusing (to me) - I guess my recommendation would be to find 'someone' to look at the issues w/ you, i.e. would like to be there to observe your problems, sorry. I'm assuming that your iPad since new is still under warranty - is there an Apple store near you or a good third-party Apple service provider? I just feel that some 'knowledgeable' iDevice user needs to handle your iPad 'in person'.

In the meantime and hoping that others will post, lets try to clarify some of your statements quoted above: 1) You seem to be most concerned about your photos being preserved - how many are on your iPad and how do you know that the images are 'in the cloud'; 2) Provide more information on why you are not using the iOS 'Mail App' - most of us do - is one of the issues related to setup w/ your ISP; and 3) Please clarify the 'screen disappearing' and 'typing again' - just do not have an explanation, sorry. Also, see my previous pic on the photo options - which ones are activated on your device - there are plenty of ways to get photos off your iPad but many involve using a computer w/ special apps (I've been involved in many threads relative to photo transfer before). About all that I can say at the moment - not to helpful - Dave :)

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave

Confusing? Indeed! I lived with all these problems for many months with my Mini 2, had long sessions on phone with Apple experts all over the States. They were all baffled, finally suggesting a news one..( I have hsd this disappear 3x already!)
I should not have let them transfer everything to my new one, as it all is now on my 9.7. The data disappears,randomly. I keep mentioning the photos because that is all I want to bring over to the new one. There are about 200+/-.
When I say the screen disappears ( it just did it twice now) , I mean the screen goes blank. But often it brings up an entirely different page. I have to retype it all.
I don't use the Mail app on this because somehow it doesn't bring up gmail,and does bring up strange excerpts from ??? Occasionally it brings up a few yahoo emails. I don't use yahoo,my husband does.My Gmail comes on the big red M,don't know why but it does. On all my previous iPads I have used Mail.i don't know what it is related to ...your #2 question. Re the three things re cloud and photos, I cannot find that page anywhere in settings.
Yes, I too wish you were here to see all these ' wonders' ,and no there are no places or people closer than Vancouver ( 5 hours away, 5 mountains between).
I searched everywhere for help with the mini, including on here, and several of you talented fellows helped but never solved it. I sure do appreciate all your time and efforts ,but don't really know what to do now. The warranty isn't much good when there is nowhere to use it.
Doris

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Doris - coming in late for the day and was hoping that one of our other illustrious mods/members would 'chime in' to help you. The above description is indeed confusing (to me) - I guess my recommendation would be to find 'someone' to look at the issues w/ you, i.e. would like to be there to observe your problems, sorry. I'm assuming that your iPad since new is still under warranty - is there an Apple store near you or a good third-party Apple service provider? I just feel that some 'knowledgeable' iDevice user needs to handle your iPad 'in person'.

In the meantime and hoping that others will post, lets try to clarify some of your statements quoted above: 1) You seem to be most concerned about your photos being preserved - how many are on your iPad and how do you know that the images are 'in the cloud'; 2) Provide more information on why you are not using the iOS 'Mail App' - most of us do - is one of the issues related to setup w/ your ISP; and 3) Please clarify the 'screen disappearing' and 'typing again' - just do not have an explanation, sorry. Also, see my previous pic on the photo options - which ones are activated on your device - there are plenty of ways to get photos off your iPad but many involve using a computer w/ special apps (I've been involved in many threads relative to photo transfer before). About all that I can say at the moment - not to helpful - Dave :)
Dave, I wrote a lenghthy reply and it vanished. By any chance did it get to you?
This happens often ,but I had hoped it did go.
Doris

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your replies always appear on the forums. Do you use a browser for replying, or Tapatalk?

The big red M is the Gmail app, that’s why it will always bring up your Gmail account, and nothing else.

The built in Mail account, on the other hand, can be set up with different kinds of accounts, so if your husband’s account is set up for it, his emails will appear on your iPad as well. To change between email accounts in the built in Mail app, tap the icon at the top left:
1F3CC4EF-B7FC-41CA-BFE5-818CD2A14103.jpeg

That will show the accounts available in your built in Mail app. Tap your Gmail account to take a look at it.
379AE721-074A-4365-8B6D-F3ACCC59AB37.jpeg

And now to your photos:
Go to the Settings app, and take a look at Photos. Tell us what you’ve enabled there.
4FA7FE25-C88C-46C5-B1FA-6790017ADFCD.png

Last edited:
OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your replies always appear on the forums. Do you use a browser for replying, or Tapatalk?

The big red M is the Gmail app, that’s why it will always bring up your Gmail account, and nothing else.

The built in Mail account, on the other hand, can be set up with different kinds of accounts, so if your husband’s account is set up for it, his emails will appear on your iPad as well. To change between email accounts in the built in Mail app, tap the icon at the top left: View attachment 80959
That will show the accounts available in your built in Mail app. Tap your Gmail account to take a look at it.
View attachment 80958

And now to your photos:
Go to the Settings app, and take a look at Photos. Tell us what you’ve enabled there.
View attachment 80960

Hi again JA. I use a browser . But I do have Tapatalk. Now,photos:enabled......
' allow photos to access:' Siri and Search, iCloud Photo Library, Upload to my photo stream, Summarize photos, Transfer to Mac or PC automatically.
I don't know how these became checked , I didn't do it.
I still would like to wipe it and restore to original empty state. Do all those icons automatically stay on the screens when's wiped?

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that anything you did not put on the iPad yourself stays I’m not sure on that though.

Most reactions

Latest posts