Winston-Salem and Triad North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jun 14, 2016.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad the damage wasn't nearly as bad as down in Florida. I hope it doesn't take too long to recover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - well, the downgrade to a 'tropical storm' lessen the potential damage a lot here - I'm sure that we'll recover quickly in the Triad, but those poor souls in Florida - the stories, devastating pics, and now the increasing death toll are just so tragic.

But this 2-day outage for Susan & I was not bad especially since we did not need our HVAC (e.g. decades ago we had a 4+ day outage in the middle of winter - I was trying to cook on our outdoor gas grill w/ little success - had electric stove then!) - as we went into day 2 having lost internet in just 6 hrs and then my batteries running out w/ no AC sources, those were my main frustrations - the food in the freezers could always be replaced.

SO, I just ordered a LARGER battery backup system made by Xantrex (shown below) and not that expensive (vs. a natural gas powered whole house generator for $4-6K) - the unit is on wheels and weighs about 55 pounds - if we lose power I can roll it into our computer room and hook up my modem/router and get up to 5-6 days of runtime; also, can easily add our AC adapters for batteries/etc. - will likely solve several of my concerns - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 6.23.01 PM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Confederate Monument in Downtown Winston Salem was removed yesterday!

The continuing controversy of the removal of Confederate Monuments and Memorials remains contentious and will for years to come, often leading to brutal and tragic events, as discussed in the quotes below. According to one source, there are over 140 such public Confederate monuments/memorials throughout the state of North Carolina alone (and hundreds more in 30 or more other states in the USA - see link in the quotes below).

The monument in Winston Salem was erected in 1905 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) on the grounds of the old Forsyth County Courthouse, which is now on private land that was converted to apartments. After several minor acts of vandalism, support by the mayor and owner of the private building where the statue stood for 114 years, and legal debate w/ the UDC (see pics below), the memorial was taken apart and moved into 'unannounced' storage for several months - story HERE w/ video, for those interested - the plan is to re-erect the statue in Salem Cemetery next to the burial site of a number of Confederated dead - whether the structure will be safe and undamaged in that location is yet to see. Dave :)

ConfederateMonument1.png ConfederateMonument2.jpg