Winston-Salem and Triad North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jun 14, 2016.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a beautiful house. It's too bad R.J. Reynolds never got to enjoy it.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    We've always liked walking through that house - seems so livable - agree about RJ - he was 30 years older than his wife, Katharine - what is just as sad is that she died @ 44 y/o - married again and on giving birth to a second baby at her age, she had a post-partum blood clot (I suspect a pulmonary embolism) and passed away leaving her other children by RJ Reynolds to be taken care of by close relatives, but that's another story. Dave :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Libby Holman & the Mysterious Death of Z. Smith Reynolds in Reynolda House!

Zachary Smith Reynolds (1911-1932) was the youngest child of RJ Reynolds - he was more commonly called Z. Smith Reynolds or Smith, and was an amateur aviator (see quote below from previous link). Smith became enamored w/ the singer, actress, and Broadway star Libby Holman (1904-1971); they married at the end of 1931 (see second quote below).

In his bedroom in Reynolda House after a party, he suffered a gunshot wound to his head; his wife was present but whether he was shot by Holman or himself remains a mystery (see third quote below); he died that night at the age of 20 years - a trial was not held - he is buried in the Salem Cemetery (see headstone below).

"Reynolds' siblings underwent a prolonged fight to receive their share of Reynolds' estate, after which they established a trust in his name that provided for his namesake foundation, the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation. As a result, many things in the Winston-Salem, NC area are named for Reynolds. The local airport (Smith Reynolds Airport) and the main library at Wake Forest University are named in his honor." (link above) - Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, if interested.

Just a few pics below - years ago we took our daughter-in-law to tour Reynolda House - she knew the Z. Smith Reynolds story and visited the bedroom. Dave :)

P.S. there are many books on the Reynolds family - one that I would recommend is The Gilded Leaf, co-written by one of RJ's grandsons, Patrick Reynolds; first edition published in 1989.

ZSR.JPG Libby_Holman.jpg 9147bOnl0uL._SL1500_.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 12.48.53 AM.png 8155829_115194358447.jpg ZSR-logo_nobg.jpg

#53 giradman, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Reynolda House - Grant Wood and the American Farm

Today, Susan & I visited Reynolda House to see the current art exhibit, Grant Wood and the American Farm, which opened in early September and ending December 31 - quotes below from the link given; for those interested, a more detailed description HERE.

Grant Wood (1891-1942) was an American artist who was born in rural Iowa; although best known for his paintings (the most famous shown below, i.e. American Gothic), he worked in a number of media, including lithography (a dozen or so were hung for this exhibit), ink, metal, wood, etc. The exhibit includes various works of arts from a dozen or more artists w/ one section dedicated to Wood - artists dating from the 19th century up to near the present are represented. The images below show just some of the dozens of art works represented, all were present (plus much more) except American Gothic, which is in the Art Institute of Chicago (I've seen that painting many times).

SO, if you might be passing through the North Carolina Triad in the next three months, then a visit to Reynolda House is recommended (admission to the house includes the Grant Wood exhibit). Dave :)

GWoodExhibit.png GrantWoodPhoto.jpg Grant_Wood_-_American_Gothic_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 6.10.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 6.11.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 6.10.46 PM.png SpringTurning_GWood.png Wood_Haying.jpg

#54 giradman, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The National Park Service has expanded Old Salem’s National Historic Landmark District

Great article today in the Winston-Salem Journal, our local paper - the Old Salem Historic District has been tripled in size by the National Park Service - the original district's timeline was from the founding of Salem in 1766 to 1856 w/ the incorporation of the town. The current expansion brings the area to 1913 when the twin cities merged to become Winston-Salem (lot of history of the city in my previous posts in this thread).

A number of houses, historic neighborhoods, and buildings currently in use (hotels/motels, shops, restaurants, etc.) are now included in the historic district - just 3 pics below w/ descriptions: 1) Poplar Street neighborhood; 2) Brookstown Inn; and 3) Railway Center - a nice restaurant is located where outdoor dining is available where the umbrellas are located - most of the 'new' area is residential and/or commercial property, but I suspect some additional attractions, like a house tour or two, will likely appear. Dave :)

P.S. Kind of stopped my discussion in the early 1930s w/ the death of Z. Smith Reynolds - there is much more to describe, so should continue in the near future!

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 12.53.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 12.55.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 12.54.55 PM.png

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Easter Sunday, April 16, 2017 - Moravian Easter Sunrise Service in Old Salem - 245th Year!

This Sunday morning, the Moravians (plus many 'guests') celebrated the 245th Easter Sunrise Service, the oldest in the USA. This celebration started in 1732, the year that George Washington was born - Susan & I may have attended one of these services back in the 1970s, cannot remember (we've been to Old Salem, so many times) - but an important continuing tradition for the Moravian Church here.

Need to continue this thread - kind of stopped in the early 19th century - plenty more has happened - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 10.10.43 AM.png cb4ee2fc5b9ed225911b29ad84be63bd.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    We’ve never been to the sunrise service (we’re not “morning people”) but I appreciate the lovely traditions of the Moravians. At Christmas they have a Love Feast church service in which the congregation shares buns and sweet coffee.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Dorothea Lange Photo Exhibit at Reynolda House - Just Returned!

Today, Susan & I went to the Dorothea Lange Exhibit at Reynolda House - first two quotes below from her Wiki bio, emphasizing two important aspects of her photographic career, i.e. the Depression era of the 1930s and the Japanese relocation camps in western USA during WW II - in addition, photos from many of her contemporary colleagues were also part of the presentation - below pics of Lange and the excellent documentary available on Amazon; also a number of the photos we saw at the exhibit - the 'most famous' is the Migrant Mother from 1936, probably one of the most iconic 20th century American photographs - see the third quote for more. Dave :)

DL1.png DL2.jpg DL3.png DL4.jpg DL5.jpg DL6.jpg DL7.jpg DL8.jpg

9. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Amazing photographer! As one who shakes the camera and ends up taking pictures of dead trees or my own feet, I truly appreciate her artistry.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Tropical Storm Michael Hits the Triad w/ Flooding, Fallen Trees, & Electrical Outages

Well, I've been off the grid and off the internet for nearly 2 days, so now back as of about noon today. After completely missing any effects from Hurricane Florence last month, we were less fortunate w/ the downgraded tropical storm that began as Hurricane Michael - we lost power about 2PM on Thursday - my APC UPS backup kept us on the internet for about 6 hours, then went down - I had plenty of lights, batteries, and a battery-radio and charged battery packs to keep our iPads going - Susan was able to cook two dinners on our gas stove (starters run off electricity but can be lit w/ a match or torch) - we had minor puddles in the basement (still have to take out some soaked small rugs) - no fallen trees. After power restoration, we checked our two refrigerators and decided to toss out some thawed out meats (probably only a $100-$150).

Many others in the Triad Area (Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem) were not so luck - trees on houses, cars, etc., flooding especially those near rivers and creeks - the prolonged electrical loss will certainly impact on a LOT of food being tossed. Below are some quotes as to rain (about 5-6"), winds (up to 50 mph), electric outages, about 150,000+ in the two main cities, and a few deaths in North Carolina - a video and pics showing the flooding in Tanglewood Park (western Forsyth County) and at the Bermuda Run Golf Course, both adjacent to the Yadkin River. Dave :)

WS1.png WS2.jpg WS3.jpg WS4.jpg WS5.jpg