Winston-Salem and Triad North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jun 14, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Old Salem - Part II

Salem when occupied in the early 1770s was a Moravian community which was run strictly by the church and community principles, e.g. living arrangements, occupations, and marriages were determined for you by others - seemed to work but changed by the early 1800s. Unmarried boys & men and unmarried girls & women lived in the Single Brothers & Single Sisters Houses - the Single Brothers House is shown below restored to its 1786 appearance - on tour the purpose of the building and the trades taught are explained by costumed guides displaying the methods of the times - really quite exciting.

The town centered around Salem Square (about 300 yards, like a wide football field) w/ Main & Church Streets on the sides - a couple pics below of portions of the square w/ the communal water pump served by cisterns. The next pics show the original Salem Tavern (the lodgings for George Washington for two nights during his Southern Tour in 1791), and the annex built in 1816 which is an active restaurant serving a variety of Moravian-related recipes. Next are images of some of the many shops offering colonial related goods and some of the private residencies - kind of neat to live in a house in a nationally famous historic restoration district. The following two pics are the outside & inside of the Winkler Bakery which is still active making bread, cookies, cakes, etc. according to Moravian recipes & methods - a must stop and purchase of goodies! And finally God's Acre, the Salem cemetery w/ the typical flat gravestones where all were equals in the 'after world' - early on, whites & African Americans were buried side to side (another story entering the 19th century). MORE to come about Old Salem - Dave :)
    SalemC1_Square.jpg SalemC2_Pump.png SalemC3_SingleBrothers.jpg SalemC4_OldTavern.png SalemC5_NewTavern.png SalemC6_Shops.jpeg SalemD1_Houses.png SalemD2_CostumedWorker.jpg SalemD3_Bakery1.jpg SalemD4_BakeryInside.jpg SalemD5_GodsAcre1.png SalemD6_GodsAcre2.png

2. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Dave has reminded me how historic and unique our city is. It’s easy to take it for granted.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    So true, putting these posts together - we've decided to revisit Old Salem - much has changed, i.e. a new Visitor's Center & MESDA in a new location (an upcoming post after my visit) - going tomorrow, i.e. Friday and will dine at Salem Tavern next to where George Washington stayed during his presidency and his visit to the southern states - don't know if I can sleep tonight! ;) - just a few pics below - check HERE, if interested in George's Southern Tour. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 10.03.47 PM.png Washingtons_Southern_Tour.jpg

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reading this thread has been very interesting and enjoyable as I've always been interested in the history of places and regions.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Scifan.. - your continued interests in my travelogues (although this one is my home town, so different) spurs me on! :)

As stated, Susan & I are planning to go to Old Salem tomorrow - I want to explore the Visitor's Center more and also see the renovated MESDA (Museum of Southern Decorative Arts) - this will be my next post (but after our tour there) - will also dine at the Salem Tavern - have not eaten there in years, so hopefully will be good? Dave

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At first, when you started talking about Old Salem I started thinking about the witch trials. A little research quickly revealed that those trials were in Salem, Massachusetts almost a hundred years before this Salem was founded. Salem seemed to be a popular name for a town back then.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well, a common name for a town or city - derives from the Hebrew term Shalom meaning 'Peace' - pic below from HERE - so many other places in the USA w/ that name, e.g. Salem, Oregon - BTW, I've been to Salem Mass - great visit w/ the witch museum! Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.35.20 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Old Salem - Our Visit Today - Part I

Well, stimulated by this thread, Susan & I spent the afternoon in Old Salem and then had an early dinner at Salem Tavern - all of the pics in this and the following post are my own - the day was overcast so did a little photo editing.

Our first stop was the Frank Horton Museum which contains MESDA (Museum of Early Decorative Arts) - we did a self-guided tour, but I need to return for the guided tour (why - well this will be discussed in an upcoming post). We passed the house of the gunsmith, but did not drop in for a discussion (just too many places to visit w/ costumed guides). We did tour the original Salem Tavern, where George Washington stayed on his 'southern tour' (March 21 and June 4, 1791) for two nights - interestingly, there is no definite record of which room he was in at the inn? There were many restored/reconstructed private residencies along Main Street - most have important histories relative to the town leaders and craftsmen of the era - one of interest to me was the Leinbach Silversmith house, also private - one of my colleagues decades ago was Brick Leinbach, who's family dates back to the early Salem days - kind of neat to have that heritage.

Walking up Main Street toward Salem Square brought other buildings and attractions into view, including the reconstructed and functional communal water pump, and the central plaque about the celebration of the Fourth of July. Also, both the Single Brothers' House & the Single Sisters' House are just off the square - at the age of 14 y/o, boys and girls moved into these houses, for the boys to learn a trade; single men also lived in these houses - trades for the boys were chosen based on the needs of the community - we toured the house of the brothers and met a half dozen guides, including a tailor and joiner making a dovetail box.

SO, ten images below of this experience today - the next post will continue our visit. Dave :)
    OldSalemA1_OrigSalemTavern.JPG OldSalemA2_VoglerGunsmith.JPG OldSalemA3_PrivateA.JPG OldSalemA4_PrivateGunsmith.JPG OldSalemA5_PrivateB.JPG OldSalemB1_PrivateLeinbach.JPG OldSalemB2_SalemSquare.JPG OldSalemB3_Pump.JPG OldSalemB4_SBHouseA.JPG OldSalemB5_SSqPlaque.JPG

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This was a very interesting travel story, thanks for an interesting read. The history in your area goes back much further than in Saskatchewan, where I live. The oldest European settlement in Saskatchewan is Cumberland House, dating to 1774 and is a former Hudson's Bay Company trading post. The oldest existing buildings date to the late 19th century. Cumberland House, Saskatchewan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Old Salem - Our Visit Today - Part II

A continuation of our visit today to Old Salem - so many historic houses w/ well documented histories, e.g. the T. Bagge Merchant Store, dating from 1755 (reconstructed in 1955), the communal 'general store' in the 18th century and serving a similar purpose now; the Miksch House, built of logs although covered in clapboard and painted soon thereafter, was the first house built in Salem to be occupied by a single family; the Home Moravian Church dating to the early 1770s (view below from Main Street near the bakery - there we bought some ginger cookies and an onion bread, which was made in a wood fired domed oven from the era - cool!).

Additional pics of the Single Houses - next pics relate to Salem Academy & College - the Academy is a 'high school' for girls and the college for gals, also - the Moravians believed in equal education for girls and boys, and these schools date back to the 1770s - pretty amazing - short quotes below. The final pics of our place for an early dinner w/ Susan sitting on the bench - we shared a delicious spinach salad; she had a Duck Trio (roasted breast, duck bacon, & confit) and I ordered the Trout - both dishes were excellent and we plan to return (had not eaten there in 20 years!). Next post will be about MESDA - Dave :)

OldSalemC1_TBaggeShop.JPG OldSalemC2_MikschHouse.JPG OldSalemC3_HMChurch.JPG OldSalemC4_SBHouseB.JPG OldSalemC5_SSistersHouse.JPG OldSalemD1_SalemCollege.JPG OldSalemD2_SalemCollegeSign.JPG OldSalemD3_SalemACMap.JPG OldSalemD4_SalemTavernSign.JPG OldSalemD5_SalemTavernDinner.JPG