Old Salem - Part II Salem when occupied in the early 1770s was a Moravian community which was run strictly by the church and community principles, e.g. living arrangements, occupations, and marriages were determined for you by others - seemed to work but changed by the early 1800s. Unmarried boys & men and unmarried girls & women lived in the Single Brothers & Single Sisters Houses - the Single Brothers House is shown below restored to its 1786 appearance - on tour the purpose of the building and the trades taught are explained by costumed guides displaying the methods of the times - really quite exciting. The town centered around Salem Square (about 300 yards, like a wide football field) w/ Main & Church Streets on the sides - a couple pics below of portions of the square w/ the communal water pump served by cisterns. The next pics show the original Salem Tavern (the lodgings for George Washington for two nights during his Southern Tour in 1791), and the annex built in 1816 which is an active restaurant serving a variety of Moravian-related recipes. Next are images of some of the many shops offering colonial related goods and some of the private residencies - kind of neat to live in a house in a nationally famous historic restoration district. The following two pics are the outside & inside of the Winkler Bakery which is still active making bread, cookies, cakes, etc. according to Moravian recipes & methods - a must stop and purchase of goodies! And finally God's Acre, the Salem cemetery w/ the typical flat gravestones where all were equals in the 'after world' - early on, whites & African Americans were buried side to side (another story entering the 19th century). MORE to come about Old Salem - Dave .