What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winston-Salem and Triad North Carolina

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hi Scifan.. - that Father's Day card story is great! My son is a good half foot taller than me, so I can relate to the height difference - ;)

The building had an indefinite future for a number of years - almost bought by the same people who developed the Proximity & O.Henry Hotels in Greensboro (a frequent overnight visit for us - both have excellent restaurants), but never happened - now, the structure has been preserved - a further achievement in the re-vitalization of our downtown area.

NOW, is the restaurant good? The menu is below - rather eclectic w/ a 'southern' tilt - there are daily oyster selections, and Susan would adore the Lobster Pot Pie, if good; some interesting fish selections for me - we'll give the place a try soon. Dave :)
View attachment 72252 View attachment 72253
The hotel is impressive. The food was really good, although more of a “special occasion” restaurant than an everyday choice, since excellent food definitely comes with a price tag.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Moravian Religion - Origins & Triad Relationship

Before continuing on to Salem (now called 'Old Salem') which will be multiple posts, a little information about the Moravian Church (all quotes below from the same link). At the end of the medieval era (roughly 1450), the tenets & practices of the Catholic Church were being questioned, especially by their own priests; an early 'complainer' was John Hus(s) (see first quote below) - his protests did not go well and he was burned at the stake in 1415. By the mid-1400s, the Moravian Church emerged as a Protestant alternate to the Catholic religion - note that this was over a half century before Martin Luther and the more familiar 'Protestant Reformation.'

However, those early Moravians were persecuted and some killed for their 'new beliefs' - eventually, many fled from Bohemia & Wachovia, and found the patronage of Count Nicholas von Zinzendorf on his vast estate in the early 1700s w/ the establishment of the town of Herrnhut - from that location, Zinzendorf and his close colleagues sent 'brothers & sisters' to foreign places to spread their word - in the American colonies (and after a Georgia failure), Bethlehem was founding in the early 1740s, followed by the exploration into the North Carolina Piedmont in the 1750s, to the eventual establishment of the Moravian communities here - Zinzendorf chose the name Salem and was instrumental in its planning. Dave :)

The foremost of Czech reformers, John Hus (1369-1415) was a professor of philosophy and rector of the University in Prague. The Bethlehem Chapel in Prague, where Hus preached, became a rallying place for the Czech reformation. Gaining support from students and the common people, he led a protest movement against many practices of the Roman Catholic clergy and hierarchy. Hus was accused of heresy, underwent a long trial at the Council of Constance, and was burned at the stake on July 6, 1415.

The reformation spirit did not die with Hus. The Moravian Church, or Unitas Fratrum (Unity of Brethren), as it has been officially known since 1457, arose as followers of Hus gathered in the village of Kunvald, about 100 miles east of Prague, in eastern Bohemia, and organized the church. This was 60 years before Martin Luther began his reformation and 100 years before the establishment of the Anglican Church.

The eighteenth century saw the renewal of the Moravian Church through the patronage of Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzendorf, a pietist nobleman in Saxony. Some Moravian families fleeing persecution in Bohemia and Moravia found refuge on Zinzendorf’s estate in 1722 and built the community of Herrnhut. The new community became the haven for many more Moravian refugees.

Count Zinzendorf encouraged them to keep the discipline of the Unitas Fratrum, and he gave them the vision to take the gospel to the far corners of the globe. August 13, 1727, marked the culmination of a great spiritual renewal for the Moravian Church in Herrnhut, and in 1732 the first missionaries were sent to the West Indies.
Jan_Hus_2.jpg
z-youngman.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 5.45.28 PM.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In this town, fresh shucked oysters were non-existent for many of our years here, but in the last decade or so, the demand has brought decent oysters into the city - we now have a half dozen restaurants (w/ this newest addition) where good oysters are available. What was unexpected tonight, was the Kumamoto offering from the Pacific coast - usually the oysters here are sourced from the Atlantic coast and the Gulf of Mexico, i.e. Apalachicola area of Florida (as in my previous travelogue). Dave :)
We have been in W-S since 1971. When we arrived there was very little seafood, period.
The Katharine Brasserie & Bar

The Katharine Brasserie & Bar is located right inside and to the left of the entrance into the hotel - not a large bar and restaurant but quite cozy - the bar has a LOT of beers on draft and at one end the 'raw bar' area as shown below - the bar was busy after our dinner and may have to just return and try eating from the seafood area - :)

Our dining area along w/ the visible kitchen is shown in some of the pics below (see their menu in a previous post) - tonight, their oyster offerings were Kumamotos from the northwest Pacific coast & Rappahannock River oysters from Virginia - we shared a dozen which were just excellent; Susan had the Lobster Pot Pie which came w/ a small mixed green salad - a pound of lobster was present in that pie shown below - WOW! I had the Grouper (described on the menu pic before); Susan found an excellent cocktail and ordered two (a rarity for her); I had a couple of glasses of Loire Vly Sauvignon Blanc (presumed from Sancerre). Dessert included a Lemon Mousse & a Pecan Tart w/ Homemade Pecan Ice Cream. I would have to say from my first experience that this is the best restaurant in the city - it is pricey so will not be a frequent visit for us, but on special occasions. Dave :)
View attachment 72324 View attachment 72325 View attachment 72326 View attachment 72327 View attachment 72328 View attachment 72329 View attachment 72330 View attachment 72331
The cocktail was a Pimm’s Cup with lemon Pimms, strawberry, cucumber and ginger ale. Actually, the pot pie didn’t really have a pound of lobster. It was the meat from a 1-lb lobster. Yummy!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We have been in W-S since 1971. When we arrived there was very little seafood, period.

The cocktail was a Pimm’s Cup with lemon Pimms, strawberry, cucumber and ginger ale. Actually, the pot pie didn’t really have a pound of lobster. It was the meat from a 1-lb lobster. Yummy!

Susan has chimed in about her cocktail & lobster pie! Now, I'm not sure 'how much' lobster was in that pie - I'm assuming that it was the meat from a half 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" lobster - a one pound lobster (believe the minimal size allowable) would yield only 3-4 oz of meat - see some FAQs below - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 8.45.15 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old Salem - Part I

In 1766, construction of Salem started and the first people from Bethabara moved to the 'new' town in 1772 - in 1950, the restoration of Salem which was renamed Old Salem began seriously - the restoration and archeologic investigations continue to this day. The restored and rebuilt structures have a variety of ownerships, including private residencies (I've been in several - look like old colonial buildings from the outside, but have all of the modern conveniences inside). Below are a number of quotes from the same Wiki source - if staying in or near Winston-Salem, this would be my number one tourist visit suggestion.

The first images below show the location of Old Salem (now just south of Business 40) - this year is our 250th anniversary of the start of Salem. The 'Guide Map' is very detailed and many sites will be discussed here and in later posts - there are several streets to explore and many buildings w/ costumed guides and interpreters. The start of a visit is at the center shown below, which contains the wonderful restored Tannenberg Organ (David Tannenberg, 1728–1804, was a Moravian organ builder cited as the most important American organ-builder of his time). The Old Salem guidebook is excellent w/ plenty of pics. The last images show the Home Moravian Church and Salem Academy & Salem College - other images of Main Street looking towards the modern Winston-Salem downtown and the famous 'Coffee Pot' built as an advertisement - more to follow - Dave :)

Old Salem is a historic district of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It features a living history museum (operated by the non-profit Old Salem Museums & Gardens) that interprets the restored Moravian community. The non-profit organization began its work in 1950, although some private residents had restored buildings earlier. As the Old Salem Historic District, it was declared a National Historic Landmark (NHL) in 1966. The district showcases the culture of the Moravian settlement in North Carolina during the 18th and 19th centuries, communal buildings, churches, houses, and shops (Source).

Two buildings are individually designated as NHL: the Salem Tavern and the Single Brothers' House. Additional buildings and properties have been added to the National Register that expand the historic area. Ownership of the buildings and land is divided among Old Salem, Inc., Wachovia Historical Society, private owners, Salem Academy and College, Home Moravian Church, and the Moravian Church Southern Province (Source).

The town's restored and reconstructed buildings, staffed by living-history interpreters, present visitors with a view of Moravian life in the 18th and 19th centuries. The features include skilled interpreters such as tinsmiths, blacksmiths, cobblers, gunsmiths, bakers and carpenters, practicing their trades while interacting with visitors. Approximately 70% of the buildings in the historic district are original, making this a truly unique living history museum.

Substantial historical and archaeological research has focused on Salem's historical African-American population. Moravians educated enslaved members of their community, teaching literacy skills and some professional trades. Holistic studies directed toward understanding ethnicity and cultural identity of African-Americans in Salem have resulted in significant additions to the historical interpretation presented at Old Salem (Source).
SalemA1_MapModern.png
SalemA2_banner1.jpg
SalemA3_GuideMap.jpg
SalemA4_VisitorsCtr.jpg
SalemA5_InsideVCtr.jpg
SalemA6_Tannenberg.jpg
SalemB1_GuideBk.jpg
SalemB2_HortonCtr.jpg
SalemB3_MainStOldSalem.jpg
SalemB4_Teapot.jpg
SalemB5_College.jpg
SalemB6_ChurchCollege.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old Salem - Part II

Salem when occupied in the early 1770s was a Moravian community which was run strictly by the church and community principles, e.g. living arrangements, occupations, and marriages were determined for you by others - seemed to work but changed by the early 1800s. Unmarried boys & men and unmarried girls & women lived in the Single Brothers & Single Sisters Houses - the Single Brothers House is shown below restored to its 1786 appearance - on tour the purpose of the building and the trades taught are explained by costumed guides displaying the methods of the times - really quite exciting.

The town centered around Salem Square (about 300 yards, like a wide football field) w/ Main & Church Streets on the sides - a couple pics below of portions of the square w/ the communal water pump served by cisterns. The next pics show the original Salem Tavern (the lodgings for George Washington for two nights during his Southern Tour in 1791), and the annex built in 1816 which is an active restaurant serving a variety of Moravian-related recipes. Next are images of some of the many shops offering colonial related goods and some of the private residencies - kind of neat to live in a house in a nationally famous historic restoration district. The following two pics are the outside & inside of the Winkler Bakery which is still active making bread, cookies, cakes, etc. according to Moravian recipes & methods - a must stop and purchase of goodies! And finally God's Acre, the Salem cemetery w/ the typical flat gravestones where all were equals in the 'after world' - early on, whites & African Americans were buried side to side (another story entering the 19th century). MORE to come about Old Salem - Dave :)
SalemC1_Square.jpg
SalemC2_Pump.png
SalemC3_SingleBrothers.jpg
SalemC4_OldTavern.png
SalemC5_NewTavern.png
SalemC6_Shops.jpeg
SalemD1_Houses.png
SalemD2_CostumedWorker.jpg
SalemD3_Bakery1.jpg
SalemD4_BakeryInside.jpg
SalemD5_GodsAcre1.png
SalemD6_GodsAcre2.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bethania - First Planned Moravian Community in the Triad - 1759!

Bethania was established in 1759 just three miles from Bethabara - both the latter and then Salem were run on a communal system of common house keeping and labor; 'Single Sisters' lived together in one house and 'Single Brothers' in another, while a number of married couples shared a house - the community was carefully structured. Apparently some of the Moravians wanted a 'different' arrangement, such as owning their own homes and running their lives independently rather than as a communal effort.

Quoted below some more historic and current information on Bethania - the first four images below show several road plaques and the visitor's center, followed by pics of a number of restored houses and other buildings - the 'Bethania Mill & Village Shoppes' was indeed an old grain mill now converted into shops, offices, and the Muddy Creek & Music Venue, where usually local talent appears - I've not gone yet but Susan has attended several musical events (her guitar teachers, past & present, appear occasionally) - Dave :)

View attachment 72360 View attachment 72361 View attachment 72362 View attachment 72363 View attachment 72364 View attachment 72365 View attachment 72366 View attachment 72367
Dave has reminded me how historic and unique our city is. It’s easy to take it for granted.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave has reminded me how historic and unique our city is. It’s easy to take it for granted.

So true, putting these posts together - we've decided to revisit Old Salem - much has changed, i.e. a new Visitor's Center & MESDA in a new location (an upcoming post after my visit) - going tomorrow, i.e. Friday and will dine at Salem Tavern next to where George Washington stayed during his presidency and his visit to the southern states - don't know if I can sleep tonight! ;) - just a few pics below - check HERE, if interested in George's Southern Tour. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 10.03.47 PM.png
Washingtons_Southern_Tour.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reading this thread has been very interesting and enjoyable as I've always been interested in the history of places and regions.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Reading this thread has been very interesting and enjoyable as I've always been interested in the history of places and regions.

Thanks Scifan.. - your continued interests in my travelogues (although this one is my home town, so different) spurs me on! :)

As stated, Susan & I are planning to go to Old Salem tomorrow - I want to explore the Visitor's Center more and also see the renovated MESDA (Museum of Southern Decorative Arts) - this will be my next post (but after our tour there) - will also dine at the Salem Tavern - have not eaten there in years, so hopefully will be good? Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At first, when you started talking about Old Salem I started thinking about the witch trials. A little research quickly revealed that those trials were in Salem, Massachusetts almost a hundred years before this Salem was founded. Salem seemed to be a popular name for a town back then.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At first, when you started talking about Old Salem I started thinking about the witch trials. A little research quickly revealed that those trials were in Salem, Massachusetts almost a hundred years before this Salem was founded. Salem seemed to be a popular name for a town back then.

Well, a common name for a town or city - derives from the Hebrew term Shalom meaning 'Peace' - pic below from HERE - so many other places in the USA w/ that name, e.g. Salem, Oregon - BTW, I've been to Salem Mass - great visit w/ the witch museum! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.35.20 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old Salem - Our Visit Today - Part I

Well, stimulated by this thread, Susan & I spent the afternoon in Old Salem and then had an early dinner at Salem Tavern - all of the pics in this and the following post are my own - the day was overcast so did a little photo editing.

Our first stop was the Frank Horton Museum which contains MESDA (Museum of Early Decorative Arts) - we did a self-guided tour, but I need to return for the guided tour (why - well this will be discussed in an upcoming post). We passed the house of the gunsmith, but did not drop in for a discussion (just too many places to visit w/ costumed guides). We did tour the original Salem Tavern, where George Washington stayed on his 'southern tour' (March 21 and June 4, 1791) for two nights - interestingly, there is no definite record of which room he was in at the inn? There were many restored/reconstructed private residencies along Main Street - most have important histories relative to the town leaders and craftsmen of the era - one of interest to me was the Leinbach Silversmith house, also private - one of my colleagues decades ago was Brick Leinbach, who's family dates back to the early Salem days - kind of neat to have that heritage.

Walking up Main Street toward Salem Square brought other buildings and attractions into view, including the reconstructed and functional communal water pump, and the central plaque about the celebration of the Fourth of July. Also, both the Single Brothers' House & the Single Sisters' House are just off the square - at the age of 14 y/o, boys and girls moved into these houses, for the boys to learn a trade; single men also lived in these houses - trades for the boys were chosen based on the needs of the community - we toured the house of the brothers and met a half dozen guides, including a tailor and joiner making a dovetail box.

SO, ten images below of this experience today - the next post will continue our visit. Dave :)
OldSalemA1_OrigSalemTavern.JPG
OldSalemA2_VoglerGunsmith.JPG
OldSalemA3_PrivateA.JPG
OldSalemA4_PrivateGunsmith.JPG
OldSalemA5_PrivateB.JPG
OldSalemB1_PrivateLeinbach.JPG
OldSalemB2_SalemSquare.JPG
OldSalemB3_Pump.JPG
OldSalemB4_SBHouseA.JPG
OldSalemB5_SSqPlaque.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was a very interesting travel story, thanks for an interesting read. The history in your area goes back much further than in Saskatchewan, where I live. The oldest European settlement in Saskatchewan is Cumberland House, dating to 1774 and is a former Hudson's Bay Company trading post. The oldest existing buildings date to the late 19th century. Cumberland House, Saskatchewan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old Salem - Our Visit Today - Part II

A continuation of our visit today to Old Salem - so many historic houses w/ well documented histories, e.g. the T. Bagge Merchant Store, dating from 1755 (reconstructed in 1955), the communal 'general store' in the 18th century and serving a similar purpose now; the Miksch House, built of logs although covered in clapboard and painted soon thereafter, was the first house built in Salem to be occupied by a single family; the Home Moravian Church dating to the early 1770s (view below from Main Street near the bakery - there we bought some ginger cookies and an onion bread, which was made in a wood fired domed oven from the era - cool!).

Additional pics of the Single Houses - next pics relate to Salem Academy & College - the Academy is a 'high school' for girls and the college for gals, also - the Moravians believed in equal education for girls and boys, and these schools date back to the 1770s - pretty amazing - short quotes below. The final pics of our place for an early dinner w/ Susan sitting on the bench - we shared a delicious spinach salad; she had a Duck Trio (roasted breast, duck bacon, & confit) and I ordered the Trout - both dishes were excellent and we plan to return (had not eaten there in 20 years!). Next post will be about MESDA - Dave :)

Salem Academy is a boarding and day school for high school girls in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It is formally known as Salem Academy and College where it shares its campus with Salem College, located near historic Old Salem. Salem Academy is one of the oldest and most prestigious girls' boarding schools in the United States (Source).

Salem College is a liberal arts women's college in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States founded in 1772. Originally established as a primary school, it later became an academy (high school) and finally a college. It is the oldest female educational establishment that is still a women's college and the oldest female institution in the Southern United States (Source).
OldSalemC1_TBaggeShop.JPG
OldSalemC2_MikschHouse.JPG
OldSalemC3_HMChurch.JPG
OldSalemC4_SBHouseB.JPG
OldSalemC5_SSistersHouse.JPG
OldSalemD1_SalemCollege.JPG
OldSalemD2_SalemCollegeSign.JPG
OldSalemD3_SalemACMap.JPG
OldSalemD4_SalemTavernSign.JPG
OldSalemD5_SalemTavernDinner.JPG

Most reactions

Latest posts