Winston-Salem and Triad North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jun 14, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, after all of my travelogues including a number about North Carolina, I've failed to discuss Winston-Salem, where Susan & I have lived since 1977 (and also 1971-75, my internship & residency). The first two posts will be about the 1929 Reynolds Building which has just opened as a boutique hotel w/ a restaurant called the Katherine Brassiere & Bar - we just finished dinner there and had a wonderful dinning experience - these next two are re-postings from another thread and will be followed by our visit tonight to the hotel & restaurant.

There is a long history to this hyphenated city of mine (starting back in the 1750s) and many places to visit, so subsequent posts will bring up these topics. Hope all viewing will enjoy - Dave :)

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Historic Reynolds Building Recycled into an Hotel & Condominiums!

In the last few months, the historic Reynolds Building, designed by the architectural firm of Shreve, Lamb & Harmon Associates was completed in 1929, and became the headquarters of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco in my home town, Winston-Salem, NC; the structure was preserved and converted to condos on the upper floors and the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel on the lower 6 floors - a new restaurant, Katharine Brassiere & Bar has also opened, and named after Katherine Smith Reynolds (wife of R.J. Reynolds, the found of the company).

The building is 314 ft in height - a year later in 1930, the same architectural firm started a new project in NYC, i.e. the construction of the Empire State Building (a little taller at 1,453 ft, including the antenna) - "Every year the staff of the Empire State Building sends a Father's Day card to the staff at the Reynolds Building in Winston-Salem to pay homage to its role as predecessor to the Empire State Building (link above)." Pics below of both buildings plus a comparison of heights - we've not yet eaten at the restaurant but on our 'to do' list soon! Dave :)

#2 giradman, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - that Father's Day card story is great! My son is a good half foot taller than me, so I can relate to the height difference - ;)

The building had an indefinite future for a number of years - almost bought by the same people who developed the Proximity & O.Henry Hotels in Greensboro (a frequent overnight visit for us - both have excellent restaurants), but never happened - now, the structure has been preserved - a further achievement in the re-vitalization of our downtown area.

NOW, is the restaurant good? The menu is below - rather eclectic w/ a 'southern' tilt - there are daily oyster selections, and Susan would adore the Lobster Pot Pie, if good; some interesting fish selections for me - we'll give the place a try soon. Dave :)

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel - Restored Reynolds Building

The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel opened in downtown Winston-Salem earlier this year along w/ the Katharine Brasserie & Bar which we dined at tonight - will discuss in the next post.

A brief description below from the link above - the building opened in 1929 and was designed by the same architectural firm who several years later were building the Empire State Building in NYC. The first three pics show the hotel's location in our downtown area (it's no longer the tallest one in our city but in '29 was the tallest building in the USA south of Baltimore, MD) - for decades the structure served as the headquarters of the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company. The last three pics show the inside lobby area and also the elevator corridor - the art deco design of the era has been wonderfully restored giving a feeling like walking into a 1930s movie - spectacular. Dave :)

WS_DowntownA1.jpg WS_DowntownA2.jpeg WS_DowntownA3.jpg WS_HotelLobbyB1.jpg WS_HotelLobbyB3.jpg WS_HotelLpbbyB2.jpg

#4 giradman, Jun 14, 2016
  5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They've done an excellent job of restoration and rehabilitation on the Reynolds building. I'm sure it will have decades of useful life ahead.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The Katharine Brasserie & Bar

The Katharine Brasserie & Bar is located right inside and to the left of the entrance into the hotel - not a large bar and restaurant but quite cozy - the bar has a LOT of beers on draft and at one end the 'raw bar' area as shown below - the bar was busy after our dinner and may have to just return and try eating from the seafood area - :)

Our dining area along w/ the visible kitchen is shown in some of the pics below (see their menu in a previous post) - tonight, their oyster offerings were Kumamotos from the northwest Pacific coast & Rappahannock River oysters from Virginia - we shared a dozen which were just excellent; Susan had the Lobster Pot Pie which came w/ a small mixed green salad - a pound of lobster was present in that pie shown below - WOW! I had the Grouper (described on the menu pic before); Susan found an excellent cocktail and ordered two (a rarity for her); I had a couple of glasses of Loire Vly Sauvignon Blanc (presumed from Sancerre). Dessert included a Lemon Mousse & a Pecan Tart w/ Homemade Pecan Ice Cream. I would have to say from my first experience that this is the best restaurant in the city - it is pricey so will not be a frequent visit for us, but on special occasions. Dave :)
    Katherine_A1.jpg Katherine_A2.jpg Katherine_A3.jpeg KatharineBrassierie_B1.jpg KatharineBrassierie_B2.jpg KatharineBrassierie_B3.jpg KatharineBrassierie_B4.jpg KatharineBrassierie_B5.jpg

#6 giradman, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep - that elevator corridor was a 'blast from the past', to be sure! We might just do an overnight to see what a room is like - our anniversary is coming up next month - hmmm? ;) Dave

P.S. the 'greenish' tint on that elevator corridor is artificial - the metal is more stainless steel shiny w/ gold highlights - did a little manipulation of that same photo below - not a lot better, but there is really no green in reality. :)
    WS_HotelLobbyB3.jpg

#7 giradman, Jun 14, 2016
  8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured that oysters would have to be on the menu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    In this town, fresh shucked oysters were non-existent for many of our years here, but in the last decade or so, the demand has brought decent oysters into the city - we now have a half dozen restaurants (w/ this newest addition) where good oysters are available. What was unexpected tonight, was the Kumamoto offering from the Pacific coast - usually the oysters here are sourced from the Atlantic coast and the Gulf of Mexico, i.e. Apalachicola area of Florida (as in my previous travelogue). Dave :)

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Piedmont Triad & 18th Century Moravian Settlement

A couple of separate topics - first, there are three major population centers in North Carolina, the Charlotte area & the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - a previous travelogue) are the largest followed by the Triad (brief description quoted below). Winston-Salem (W-S) is the most historic city in the Triad regarding early settlement - first two pics below showing the counties making up Piedmont, NC and the three main cities, i.e. W-S, Greensboro (GSO, the largest), and High Point - there are about a half million people living in W-S & GSO.

The Moravian religion & culture are important to the 18th century settlement of the W-S area; this religious sect migrated from Moravia (now in the Czech Republic - map below) to the American colonies; from Bethlehem, PA, early Moravian settlers explored the NC Piedmont and selected a tract of land for their early communities; the first was Bethabara, established in 1753, followed by Bethania - in June of 1766 (250th year anniversary right now!), the town of Salem was being built - all of this history (and links/pics) will be discussed in upcoming posts.

The additional pics below show the routes travelled on the Old Wagon Road in colonial times to settle the Carolinas, Georgia, and elsewhere - the location of the three Moravian communities named in the previous paragraph can be seen along this important route. Today, on a directions map, the current 'car drive' from Bethlehem to Bethabara is shown - these are now major HWs (many of which Susan & I have frequented often) - cannot imagine making that trip in a wagon on unpaved mud roads. Dave :)

TriadA1.png TriadA2.png TriadA3.png TriadB1.JPG TriadB2.png TriadC1.jpg TriadC2.png TriadC3.png