What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

windows networking

jbyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boss bought ipads and he wants them to connect to our windows doamin. We are running server08 active directory. Does any know how I can get these ipads to connecto to my secure wireless network via active directory?

OP
J

jbyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is it worked before I upgraded our windows servers from 2003 to 2008r2

JS2007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, there is a new free offering out there called Centrify Express for Mobile that integrates iPads and iPhones into Active Directory (ie they join the domain like a Win or Mac system) and you get AD authentication, group policies for iOS settings, use ADUC to wipe/lock devices, etc. .... I read about it on cultofmac

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Folks,

I've been trying to get my iPad onot my Windows-based Home Network for almost a year and have tried the free apps in the App Store. A couple of them worked once and only once. I figured I'd try the free version and then buy the paid version, but if they don't work, I don't want to buy them.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'd sure appreciate any input, as I'm really frustrated and stuck. Maybe, a Windows Network interface isn't even possible, but the device will connect to my WiFi Network. This is a WiFi only (non-Cellular) iPad2, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boobaloo said:
Hi, Folks,

I've been trying to get my iPad onot my Windows-based Home Network for almost a year and have tried the free apps in the App Store. A couple of them worked once and only once. I figured I'd try the free version and then buy the paid version, but if they don't work, I don't want to buy them.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'd sure appreciate any input, as I'm really frustrated and stuck. Maybe, a Windows Network interface isn't even possible, but the device will connect to my WiFi Network. This is a WiFi only (non-Cellular) iPad2, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I guess the question is, what are you trying to achieve in connecting it to a Windows "network"? I've never needed or was required to put my iPad onto a Domain or workgroup style network at work or home. Once on the wifi I have Internet access, and with the right apps can access network shares and printers.

EmilyWood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the security on your wireless network requires that the device actually be joined to the domain, to the best of my knowledge there's no way to do that. But most wireless systems that use AD authentication just require the domain credentials, not that the device actually be part of the domain. My iPad connected to our wireless and all I needed was my AD login credentials. Check with your IT department and see if that would be the case with your network. If not, and it really does require that the device be on the domain, then they're really limiting access to your network, since there are many devices, including most smartphones and PDAs, that lack any ability to be actually joined to an AD domain.

Last edited by a moderator:

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe that's my problem. It just can't be done, or I don't have the correct apps. I would like to be able to access the over 5GB of music and audio on my NAS drive, etc. printing would be nice, as well.

dahauss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printing you can do if you are jailbroken or have specific AirPrint printers.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boobaloo said:
Maybe that's my problem. It just can't be done, or I don't have the correct apps. I would like to be able to access the over 5GB of music and audio on my NAS drive, etc. printing would be nice, as well.

For printing, what printer do you currently have?

The NAS access should not be too difficult. Does it have a built in media server, or only running SMB style shares?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boobaloo said:

Hello boobaloo, you may want to check out this sticky that Super moderator Gabriel posted in the iPad Connect sub forum. Once you are in that part of the forum, take a look at other comments regarding NAS drives for other ideas.

http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/75895-what-nas-what-can-do-you.html

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the security on your wireless network requires that the device actually be joined to the domain, to the best of my knowledge there's no way to do that. But most wireless systems that use AD authentication just require the domain credentials, not that the device actually be part of the domain. My iPad connected to our wireless and all I needed was my AD login credentials. Check with your IT department and see if that would be the case with your network. If not, and it really does require that the device be on the domain, then they're really limiting access to your network, since there are many devices, including most smartphones and PDAs, that lack any ability to be actually joined to an AD domain.

Network Testing at kochartech

I guess I forgot to mention that this is my Home LAN and I want to be able to share, copy and move files to/from the iPad from/to other devices on the network.

I guess if the iPad won't interface with a Windows Network, it's history. It's a nice, cool toy, but not much more, as far as my needs are concerned.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boobaloo said:
I guess I forgot to mention that this is my Home LAN and I want to be able to share, copy and move files to/from the iPad from/to other devices on the network.

I guess if the iPad won't interface with a Windows Network, it's history. It's a nice, cool toy, but not much more, as far as my needs are concerned.

Wrong! You can certainly access shares. Look at FileBrowser app and also GoodReader. Use both, depending on the location being accessed.

Most reactions

Latest posts