What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you update your OS day of release or wait? Why?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skatejolly said:
yes i have to change but dont know how i could change os. anyone help me?

If you're doing an OTA update, all you have to do is go to Settings>General>Software update and push the update button that becomes visible when there is an available update to do load. You may want to plug in your iPad charger before starting as the update may take some time.

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated at noon(well, 10am west coast release time) and it is pretty slick. Siri is pretty cool, but safari loads pages super fast! Wow! Amazing!

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yay! Looking forward to Safari loading faster, nakedbabytoes. The main thing I'm excited about (as you may have figured out by reading my posts :) is SIRI!
Susanlackey: did you update from the iPad or from iTunes? How seamless was the process? Did you have to restore from backups and all that, or if it just update the parts that are changed and do the rest itself? I might be ale to update tonight, just want to know how easy/hard it is...
PS: I know this makes me sound like a noob, but I bought my iPad after iOS 5, and therefore this is my first time downloading a major iOS update.

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated via my iPad wirelessly. It took about 20 minutes total from "download" to "done" No updating or resyncing to computer required thus far, everything transferred and works as before. Siri is pretty cool, my kids find it hilarious to ask her knock knock jokes;) It is sort of amusing!
I'm not crazy about the apple maps app. It is severely lacking in detail as opposed to the old google maps. Definately a step backwards but hopefully will improve. I have yet to do anything on YouTube, but I hope it is at least as good as it was before. I'll be bummed if that went backwards too. Would have been nice if tech companies could just get along.

noel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way will i be updating my ipad until theyve sorted the wifi problem out with the new update, i updated my iphone 4 to ios 6 now i cant connect to wifi

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ther are lots of complaints about wifi & the update on the Apple discussions. I have such a great & fast wifi page loads now that it is curious as to why it is all or nothing. If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade until they got it sorted out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No way will i be updating my ipad until theyve sorted the wifi problem out with the new update, i updated my iphone 4 to ios 6 now i cant connect to wifi

It was going to apple.com and saying the page did not exist? My iPhone 4 did that. A restart fixed the problem.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, already done ;)

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Done with updates on the iPhone 4 and iPad (both iOS 6 and the many many apps). On to the OS X Mountain Lion and it's updated apps.

So far, no real problems. The iPhone glitches on rejoining my wi-fi network, but a restart fixed the problem. So many updated apps to check out I can't remember them all; 17 on the iPad, a few less on the iPhone.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
Yay! Looking forward to Safari loading faster, nakedbabytoes. The main thing I'm excited about (as you may have figured out by reading my posts :) is SIRI!
Susanlackey: did you update from the iPad or from iTunes? How seamless was the process? Did you have to restore from backups and all that, or if it just update the parts that are changed and do the rest itself? I might be ale to update tonight, just want to know how easy/hard it is...
PS: I know this makes me sound like a noob, but I bought my iPad after iOS 5, and therefore this is my first time downloading a major iOS update.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

It was easy as pie! I did mine from iTunes. No restore was necessary, it just did the updates.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I just finished my update. It took about 40 minutes to do...but connecting/loading web pages is so quick now! Huge difference from what I see here!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I will test to see if this post will go thru without quoting since ios6 on the app.

Edit...had to press the "return" button to have the "send" button light up as SusanL mentioned.

Most reactions