Will you update your OS day of release or wait? Why?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Nakedbabytoes, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Nakedbabytoes

Nakedbabytoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Curious what others do.
    I tend to wait on major releases(from 4.3 to 5 or from 5.1 to 6, etc) to see what other people think of them. How they work and how their device acts with the new OS. I usually wait about a month to upgrade.
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    I update on the day.

Apple do extensive beta testing of IOS over many months. I have had it installed on various devices since the release of beta 1. The final / GM is already out for developers. You won't find any significant bugs or instability in 6.0, so the logic of hanging back for a month really doesn't stack up in the Apple / IOS world. I cant recall a single situation since the iPad1 was released where a new major version of IOS was released with serious bugs in it. There was an issue with the iPad3 baseband when it was brand new LTE hardware, but I can't recall an issue with a new major release on existing hardware platforms.

The choice is of course entirely yours, but I think you are disadvantaging yourself by waiting month to simply see how it goes... my 2c :)
  3. Nakedbabytoes

Nakedbabytoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I wait mainly to see thru other people's eyes the changes. Like when safari went from mini screen shot listings to tab browsing. Or how iCloud worked. Etc. I do it mainly for comfort level and to be informed, I seriously doubt I am doing myself some sort of disservice by waiting a whole 30 days to get the latest OS. But thanks for your concern;)
  4. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I generally wait a day, if only to let the servers get caught up with all the traffic. Generally, there is nothing to worry about unless you are jailbroken - that is where I hear about the most hiccups. Knock on wood, I have not had any issues updating any iOS device I have had since the original iPod touch. Been pretty flawless for me.
  5. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0
    I usually update by the 24-hour mark, unless I'm busy.
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,208 / 1
    I will probably do it on Friday next week. Usually I like to do it with the masses, but the day of release will be my a long day at work for me. So will have to wait a little bit.
  7. ajcgn

ajcgn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When I updated my iPhone to 5, I remember the battery draining much faster than normal until the next update. But I will probably give in to my impatience and update to 6 as soon as I can.
  8. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175 / 0
    I'm most likely going to wait until Thursday or Friday to wait for the network traffic to die down and also see what other people think of it. I'm tempted to do it the day of, but knowing that the server is going to be CRAZY and it will take forever, partly because of an unbearably slow WiFi network, it won't be a good idea, even though I'm SO excited to use Siri on my iPad 3!
    I'll probably start the download Thursday or Friday night and let it load overnight, as it will take a few hours on my slow connection and I don't have that kind of time to wait for downloads during the day.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  9. Sleaka J

Sleaka J iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm looking forward to iOS 6, so I'll probably do both my phone and tablet on Thurdsay evening, which is the first available chance I'll get to do it because I live in Australia, and it won't be available until Thursday morning here anyway.
  10. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    I'm going to wait and see what the verdict is before updating.
  11. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I will upgrade as soon as is possible. Bring it on, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I usually wait, to avoid traffic and complications.

In this case, I might just not upgrade, because I don't see any features that I'm excited about and am not keen on Apple maps.

In the case of iOS 5, I waited and still got bitten, because I hadn't heard about any reports of it gumming up iPad 1s, which it did, because of RAM probs. It took till iOS 5.1.1 to restore most performance on my iPad 1. Good thing I also had an iPad 2 to fall back on.
  13. waah

waah iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Wow! I have waited long enough for it! After 18th of September nobody can keep me away from my ios 6 baby!
  14. Myoung

Myoung iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    VERY instereted reading it
  15. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm going to wait at least 3-4 weeks. Every new SO version release comes with bugs (it's impossible to test every single combination of devices and apps) and I don't feel like beta-testing it plus, having an iPad wifi, there's nothing particularly eye-catching for me.
  16. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    All OSes have bugs...even if they work fine. You can't avoid bugs. They get fixed with an early update, so it's not a problem. All that iOS 6 beta testing ensures that the first release won't have major issues. Plenty of people are using it now.
  17. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Immediately!
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,679 / 1
    Probably. Within the first few days for sure.
  19. susanlackey

susanlackey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    The second I wake up, this girl will be downloading and updating. I am always an early adapter.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  20. Calkid44

Calkid44 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    People people people, honestly we're having this discussion? It make's no difference in anyone's opinion on this wait or not wait, all systems react differently even with the same system, that is the love hate relationship we have with this garbage, but honestly are we talking about it like it's a world ending decision? Just update it and ....., updates are mostly minor and for the most part don't make much of a noticeable change, with that said, an update is mostly bug fixes so why not do it???? Everyone that updates and posts issues 99.9% of the time have nothing to do with the actual update, it's operator error or what they are hooking it up to, or what they have added to there Mac, PC whatever and all in all programs conflict and create errors that are always different than the next person, just do it and pay attention to your device, just up date it won't kill ya and if you want to reverse it, always easy to do.

Moderator Notice...removed rude comments...yes, they were rude and uncalled. Please review the forum rules!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012