What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you try to exchange your wifi to 3G iPad?

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keeping my 32G wifi iPad...will use the 4G mobile hotspot that will be on my HTC-Evo4 phone coming out this summer!

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'm an old duck - my iPhone, Kindle and MacAir are all toast, as soon as I get my iPad. When OS4 is released, the iPad will meet all of my travel needs - memos, light spreadsheets, presentations (even via a projector), movies, music, photos, E-mail, and Skype. It's the prefect solution for me - I NEVER text, use Facebook, etc - and having to periodically check E-mail is just fine.

The MacAir never really hit the mark for me, and being able to go back to my cheap T-mobile GSM phone for all my international travel will do wonders for my budget. Using a netbook is a total waste of money, and I'm excited that this will be the enterprise device for my entire team.

I'll wager that I'm not the only one looking forward to this consolidation...

I had two Kindles...one is mine, the other is the Mrs.' I've already sold mine and when the iPad arrives and we see that L. is able to use it to help overcome her disability (as she does with the Kindle) I'll use that for all her Amazon books. I have the Kindle app ready to sync as soon as the Ipad arrives

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look for them to phase out the WiFi only model in the next revision. Doesn't make sense for them to have 6 models.

jmiked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm keeping the WiFi model. I have no need for a cell connection for the use I have for it. If I ever need data, I can get a MyFi card or the like and use it for all my devices.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who bought the wifi iPad such as myself. I'm over 14 days and going on 17th day as of today and contemplating whether to return my iPad to Best Buy and take the restocking fee and get a ipad 3G later on. I do have an iPhone that can tether using MyWi and very happy with it. My only worries is when the iPhone 4G release maybe in June, I don't know if MyWi will still be available. Anybody can enlighten me on my decision. What would you do if you are in my situation? Thanks!

I was under the impression that for computer products Best Buy's policy was 14 days. During that 14 days you could return the product but it would subject to a restocking fee. Sounds like you are outside the return/exchange window.

I just confirmed this buy going to BB's website and looking up their return policy.
thats true but if u used ur bb rewards card often your considered a silver are gold member and you have 45 days to return anything and no restocking fee

Thanks for pointing that out. My BB didn't have any to replace mine when I was going to return and get the 32G wifi model. I went to my Reward Zone page and it shows me having a silver membership and a 45 day return with no restocking fee. If they get the 3G models in, I'll pop in and use my perk and upgrade from the 16 G wifi to the 32G 3G.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a WiFi iPad and had a 3G iPad on order for my wife. And then I recently got a good deal on a Sierra 3G/4G MiFi Hot Spot from Ebay and signed up for a month to month unlimited data plan with Sprint. After being awed with the Hot Spot service i cancelled the 3G order and got my wife a WiFi version and we now both enjoy the MiFi service. Some will argue that $60/month is way to much, but i look at it as a wash since we both enjoy WiFi service and at the same time. And to top of the MiFi Hot Spot, we aslo have the flexibility to use it with our laptops or a combination thereof, not to mention 4G service where and when available. I'm not knocking the iPad 3G at all. For those of you waiting for it, you will truly enjoy the capability to log into the internet when and where you choose. The Hot Spot simply made more sense for our situation and either way you go,, having the option to log into 3G is defiantly a must have.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Made a stop at BB while I was up closer to the city. We discussed the 14 return with restocking fee and he said, the store where I purchased mine is in a different market, so their return policy is different. This particular store in the city says theirs is 30 days with no restocking fee....but, if you are a silver or above RZ card holder, that extends out to 45. He said he'd be more than happy to take my 16 back and swap it out for whatever I wanted on the 30th. I asked him if they were getting the 3G in for sure and he says, "unless Uncle Steve is telling a lie, they'll be here". Now, decisions, decisions.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keeping my wifi model. Can't see the value in paying a extra $129 for 3G model, when I can tether just fine, and save myself the $30 a month. I know some do not mind paying extra or maybe do not have a data plan on their current phone.

A 3G is heavier and larger.
Has much less battery life.
Easy to spot and probably more desirable to thieves.

Be happy with your wifi iPad.

Last edited:

Corey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keeping my wifi model. Can't see the value in paying a extra $129 for 3G model, when I can tether just fine, and save myself the $30 a month. I know some do not mind paying extra or maybe do not have a data plan on their current phone.

That is not exactly true. The wifi and 3g are the same size
Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
And the 3g is only .1 ounce heavier. Not enough to even tell a difference
Weight:1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)

Wanna bet this old man Cory? :)

Last edited:

Corey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure.

From Apple tech specs:
iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

From an Apple rep:

• You are chatting with Melinda M, an Apple Expert

• Hi, my name is Melinda M. Welcome to Apple!
  • You: Hi. Are the 3g and wifi ipad the same size or is the 3g bigger?
  • M: Good afternoon.
  • M: They are exactly the same size, the only size difference is the capacity of storage.

And show me on any of the many many cases made for the ipad (leather, gelli, hard, screen protector, etc..) where there is one size for the wifi and another size for the 3g.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think he was being sarcastic. The size difference is real but negligible as is the weight difference. I recall seeing the information but I cannot locate the source right now.

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure.

From Apple tech specs:
iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

From an Apple rep:

• You are chatting with Melinda M, an Apple Expert

• Hi, my name is Melinda M. Welcome to Apple!
  • You: Hi. Are the 3g and wifi ipad the same size or is the 3g bigger?
  • M: Good afternoon.
  • M: They are exactly the same size, the only size difference is the capacity of storage.

And show me on any of the many many cases made for the ipad (leather, gelli, hard, screen protector, etc..) where there is one size for the wifi and another size for the 3g.

Published: Friday, March 12, 2010
News Category: iPad
3gipadsize2.png

In addition to the disclosure in Apple’s just-published FCC filings for the iPad that there are two Wi-Fi antennas per model, a separate Apple document has disclosed a previously unknown difference in the dimensions of the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models. According to the document, the Wi-Fi + 3G model is 0.3mm taller and 0.1mm wider than the Wi-Fi only model, in part apparently due to the 3G model’s top antenna panel. This is in addition to a previously disclosed 0.1 pound difference in weight between the models, which was announced on the date of the iPad’s introduction in January. Though this difference in dimensions is very modest, it will likely impact the compatibility of individual iPad models with some precision-molded cases and other accessories, which are commonly manufactured to fit tightly on Apple’s devices.

How much?

Corey

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think he was being sarcastic. The size difference is real but negligible as is the weight difference. I recall seeing the information but I cannot locate the source right now.

The difference in weight is .10 ounce, according to Apple.

Copied from Apples web site.. which I would consider the official source over any other site..
Size and weight2

Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
Weight:1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model
1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Most reactions