What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will untethered jailbreak for iPad 4.2.1 include fix USB power message problem.

mattiebrownoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since upgrading to 4.2.1 cannot use ifile and a flash drive with the camera connection kit.
This is because of the message,

'The connected USB device requires too much power'

This is because apple have reduced the power output from 100mA to 20mA

Some tend to think this has been done on purpose by apple to stop people using external devices while others think this may be a bug.

I really need this feature.

Hope this has been posted to the correct part of the forum

thanks.
Matt.
:confused:

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The jailbreak itself does not change these kinds of parts of the os, you would need to change that part of the os to fix this. Jail breaking alone will not fix anything, but there may be a tweak that fixes it you can get with jail breaking, if someone has time and can do it

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being that iFile seems to be one of the main reasons that people jailbreak, I would expect an app that will increase the voltage back to where it was before. Might not be available immediately, but it should be available soon enough.

ipadded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt, I'm like you. I really need full access to the USB because I must have "off device" storage.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was not a bug at all but actually something that Apple CHOOSE to do. Why? Because Apple loves to excite us then disappoint us most of the time.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was not a bug at all but actually something that Apple CHOOSE to do. Why? Because Apple loves to excite us then disappoint us most of the time.

Haha. No, actually Apple did this so that the iPad 2 can now have the ability to connect to external devices like a USB stick or a keyboard. ITS REVOLUTIONARY NOW THAT WE DISABLED THAT ABILITY ON THE PRIOR GENERATION!1!1!1!11!!!

shortnick92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha. No, actually Apple did this so that the iPad 2 can now have the ability to connect to external devices like a USB stick or a keyboard. ITS REVOLUTIONARY NOW THAT WE DISABLED THAT ABILITY ON THE PRIOR GENERATION!1!1!1!11!!!

I agree with that. they disabled it in the first gen to make you want to get the 2nd gen so you can have the features back

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I agree with that. they disabled it in the first gen to make you want to get the 2nd gen so you can have the features back

Or, for those of us that don't believe in Apple conspiracy theories, they did it to reduce battery consumption after complaints... :D

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Or, for those of us that don't believe in Apple conspiracy theories, they did it to reduce battery consumption after complaints... :D

The iPad has ridiculous battery life. I have not read a single complaint related to the battery life being crap. So yea, they did it so that the iPad 2 can have this new REVOLUTIONARY feature. Believe me, it will be magical.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The iPad has ridiculous battery life. I have not read a single complaint related to the battery life being crap. So yea, they did it so that the iPad 2 can have this new REVOLUTIONARY feature. Believe me, it will be magical.

Yes it has good battery life, no dispute. It has 2 huge batteries!
Apple also has a history of continuously improving the battery drain characteristics of the kit through various generations. See link below, and read through to "The Basics". Which is more likley, magical conspiracy, or improving the battery drain?
Plenty of photography blogs have commented on the phenomenon. I can tell you as a keen amateur photographer that uses the iPad Camera Connection Kit as it was intended (tethered to my DSLR camera for transfers), there IS a battery drain and it HAS been reduced in 4.2.1...Slightly... In 3.x you could watch the percentages drop off by the minute! Now it's a bit less...

Yes, it sucks that you can no longer use devices such as card readers, but, as ever with Apple, they have improved what the device was actually intended to do. It's just a damn shame it has broken some of the things they didn't intend it for... ;-)

And, yes, I am sure iPad 2 will be magical... :D

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit/

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't it going to be a simple hack, like changing numbers in a script?

so say usb power =100 instead of usb power=20?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't it going to be a simple hack, like changing numbers in a script?

so say usb power =100 instead of usb power=20?

Doubtful. Voltage configuration is unlikely to be sitting around in a plist somewhere. More likely it is compiled in the kernel, but I would love to be proven wrong in this case!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, there is no hack. What a lot of people have ended up doing is just using SD cards, cause they work fine (up to 32GB). And, some of the sticks work, but it's a crap shoot as to which ones do.

Unfortunately, it's still something that hasn't been changed. Sorry.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts